There is a paucity of comparisons that should be drawn between the two based on playing piano.  Levitt is a parlor trickster feeding his audience fleeting impressions of brilliance.  Very in keeping with the "Sony owns your dreams" idealogue market presence.  Enjoyable to the point of providing temporary relief from the real world.  He is very talented at the risky proposition of updating classic works to modern times and putting modern works into the same basket.  

Sokolov's trickery is best experienced in the flesh over multiple performances.  Asked to play a few notes of universal decree he could come up with something on the order of Hemingway's - For sale: baby shoes, never worn.  A common man ill at ease with the upper class leanings of classical music could be moved by a force beyond intellect at hearing his musicianship.  Which he appears to use in abundance to thwart recording engineers and their equipment.  All the usual warning tags apply, but you might consider trying his "Beethoven Sonatas & Rondos".

Bernstein's The Royal Edition ended up being the box set requested in another thread that I settled on.  Resolved to use sense and only pick up the desirable recordings  piecemeal.  This morning I took in disc 1 of No. 11.

41HF8SP0TAL.jpg      

1 hour ago, rando said:

There is a paucity of comparisons that should be drawn between the two based on playing piano.  Levitt is a parlor trickster feeding his audience fleeting impressions of brilliance.  Very in keeping with the "Sony owns your dreams" idealogue market presence.  Enjoyable to the point of providing temporary relief from the real world.  He is very talented at the risky proposition of updating classic works to modern times and putting modern works into the same basket.  

Sokolov's trickery is best experienced in the flesh over multiple performances.  Asked to play a few notes of universal decree he could come up with something on the order of Hemingway's - For sale: baby shoes, never worn.  A common man ill at ease with the upper class leanings of classical music could be moved by a force beyond intellect at hearing his musicianship.  Which he appears to use in abundance to thwart recording engineers and their equipment.  All the usual warning tags apply, but you might consider trying his "Beethoven Sonatas & Rondos".

Sokolov is vastly over-estimated, imho. Highly subjective tempi fluctuations, ridiculously dramatic dynamic contrasts, and, as David Hurwtiz put it most precisely - bogus profundity.

4 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Sokolov is vastly over-estimated, imho. Highly subjective tempi fluctuations, ridiculously dramatic dynamic contrasts, and, as David Hurwtiz put it most precisely - bogus profundity.

So you rate Hemingway as possessing none of those qualities?  :P  Having previously mentioned I have little ear for piano anymore. I'll take a hint where that players of that instrument are concerned.  

@WAM I spent my Belgian Quad money for the day ($8) on a dozen LP's including this London Alicia de Larrocha double album, a couple each of shaded dog RCA and Living Stereo,  along with a DG Karajan.  Can I hope the female pianist passes muster or did I waste my time and money?   

I've undertaken listening to this over the course of the next week starting this afternoon.  A halfway point to tracking down a copy of the great baritone's recording of Schubert's 'Der Wanderer' lieder. 

71Jn7VpG67L._SL1200_.jpg

On 8/27/2017 at 12:03 PM, Musicophile said:

I don't meditate but listening to the Goldbergs on a regular basis is my form of switching off.

Album of last weekend:

The Great Liberation upon Hearing in the Bardo

Kyabje Nyoshul Khenpo Rinpoche, Khenpo Sonam Tobgyal Rinpoche

cd-bardo.jpg

Was in a rather serious accident and in hospital for a number of weeks. The last hospital I was in, ran into a gentleman who suggested I should be doing meditation. We started having a friendly conversation and later discovered that we both know Khenpo Sonam Rinpoche at the local Riwoche temple. Have had this twin CD for a long time. Decided to do this last weekend when I had a weekend pass from the hospital. But got sent back very quickly so didn't have a chance to post it here.

Meditation rituals in Tibetan Buddhism are usually set to music. In today's information age, it really isn't all that difficult to get authentic copies of these rituals in electronic form. But rituals in Esoteric Buddhism usually requires permissions and commitments. Listening to them as outsider is serious bad form. And if one does have the needed permission, one should be performing it rather than listening for enjoyment. But some powerful text are meant to be heard. All one need to do is to listen attentively, like parts of the Tibetan Book of the Dead here. So it wasn't too bad :)

4 minutes ago, accwai said:

Album of last weekend:

cd-bardo.jpg

Was in a rather serious accident and in hospital for a number of weeks. The last hospital I was in, ran into a gentleman who suggested I should be doing meditation. We started having a friendly conversation and later discovered that we both know Khenpo Sonam Rinpoche at the local Riwoche temple. Have had this twin CD for a long time. Decided to do this last weekend when I had a weekend pass from the hospital. But got sent back very quickly so didn't have a chance to post it here.

Meditation rituals in Tibetan Buddhism are usually set to music. In today's information age, it really isn't all that difficult to get authentic copies of these rituals in electronic form. But rituals in Esoteric Buddhism usually requires permissions and commitments. Listening to them as outsider is serious bad form. And if one does have the needed permission, one should be performing it rather than listening for enjoyment. But some powerful text are meant to be heard. All one need to do is to listen attentively, like parts of the Tibetan Book of the Dead here. So it wasn't too bad :)

Everybody, sorry for the OT.

@accwai sorry to hear about your acceident. Hopefully you^re getting better soon.

On the meditation part, I feel I should really try it at some point. I certainly have a hard time switching off.

15 minutes ago, accwai said:

I may agree that just listening of actual recordings of rituals made in Buddhist temples will make no benefit. One will not move farther just by listening to the recording of the engine's roar. However, there are some composed pieces which incorporate certain spiritual content. For instance, French composer Eliane Radigue's Songs of Milarepa (with participation of Lama Kunga Rinpoche and Robert Ashley) could provide with some flavor of it. Robert Ashley himself created some pieces of remarkable spiritual power.

5 hours ago, accwai said:

Album of last weekend:

cd-bardo.jpg

I am very sorry about your accident and wish you a speedy recovery! Perhaps the worst boring part is staying in hospital for a long time ..

About 17 years ago I had heart surgery. A couple of months later, the only communication sent to me by the hospital was to practice Yoga and / or Tai-Chi.

I formed a small group, guided by a masters in this and did it as for eleven years. At the end of each session we did fifteen minutes of meditation, accompanied by music for this purpose and of course, diaphragmatic breathing. After some time I found some music that was the most relaxing for the group, although classified as New Age, is based on harp and flute and very appropriate for meditation and relaxation, not Buddhist, but Tai-Chi.

I still do it alone, with the same music.

Roch

7 hours ago, accwai said:

I don't meditate but listening to the Goldbergs on a regular basis is my form of switching off.

I don't know if I formally "meditate" but the "Goldbergs take me to a special place that I visit often with 20+ variations of the Variations. No music does more for me than this work.

Now that I finish this post, I mean to wish you well in your return to health and wellness.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

7 hours ago, accwai said:

Album of last weekend:

cd-bardo.jpg

Sorry to read about your accident and hospitalization. Best wishes for a full recovery!

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

@accwai Take care in repairing yourself and accept my best wishes as I echo the sentiments expressed above.

With respect and appreciation for the spiritual implications of Eastern practices being extolled.  I'd like to suggest a different activity with somewhat more universal implications, singing.  Especially in a language foreign to your tongue.  Call me a firm believer making joyous sounds and laughter heals more wounds than placid contemplative focus.  

R-1545452-1227396510.jpeg.jpg 

6 hours ago, accwai said:

@Musicophile
@elcorso@BacHolz@Guidof@rando

Album of Sunday afternoon:

Angelo Maria Fiorè: Complete Cello Sonatas & XVII Century Italian Arias

Elinor Frey, Suzie LeBlanc, Lorenzo Ghielmi, Esteban La Rotta

71vU2W6AVGL._SL300_.jpg

Thanks for the update and your recovery will be in our hearts and minds.

Elinor Frey is an artist I enjoy and am pleased to discover a new release. Thanks for sharing this and take care.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

On 9/23/2017 at 4:53 PM, rando said:

I've undertaken listening to this over the course of the next week starting this afternoon.  A halfway point to tracking down a copy of the great baritone's recording of Schubert's 'Der Wanderer' lieder. 

71Jn7VpG67L._SL1200_.jpg

Forgot to add I've started picking up Boosey & Hawkes vocal scores to enrich my enjoyment of works in this genre.  This one in good tat despite being almost old as the recording.   

More Minnesota today.  Ripped the HDCD disc into numerous formats in FLAC and WAV which I'm listening to concurrently.  I may start a thread to discuss where improvement can be found as I'm not entirely satisfied with how previous Reference Recordings HDCD rips have turned out.

27710022_800_800.jpg

^^^ Definitely recommended. I just picked this up 2 days a go, had a listen, and haven't posted because I'd simply be verbally gushing. Lindberg is a master, I like the compositions, which are varied and are also mostly new to me (except the Weiss). And the sound of the lute is something I am unable to describe yet, other than to say it is beautiful.

Thanks for posting this.