3 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

^^^ Definitely recommended. I just picked this up 2 days a go, had a listen, and haven't posted because I'd simply be verbally gushing. Lindberg is a master, I like the compositions, which are varied and are also mostly new to me (except the Weiss). And the sound of the lute is something I am unable to describe yet, other than to say it is beautiful.

Thanks for posting this. 

You are most welcome, the pleasure is mine. It's a delight in so many ways. Hearing such a gifted artist play this music on such a historic instrument and recorded so well. Another treat is the inclusion of a rarely recorded piece by Pachelbel. I discovered an album in the early '70s - "The Baroque Lute" by Walter Gerwig. It was instrumental in my life-long love of the lute and it's music.  The Nonesuch cover depicts an era lost!

Glad to share the joy...

BaroqueLute-e1439478299194.jpg?fit=999,9

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

No polka and considerably more refined Germanic music for male voices than my previous album by the official ambassadors of New Ulm, MN.  The monkish bells and austere environment conducive to chants and grunts in the opener gave way to a rapt performance that I'm having a hard time putting in the proper light within a brief description.  Locally there are more than a few rightfully international recognized college and professional choirs so this has some basis.  They are among the best within their subset of singing that I've heard recorded (or broadcast).  

51+Uppnp5fL.jpg

Shiny Telarc discs with about as close to unique orchestra specific style as exists anymore.  Donanyi's geographically relevant view distant from the action and Previn's exemplary outing with the RPO of a 5th symphony I mention with some attempt at tact.  I have also finished 'Le nozze di Figaro' while following along with the vocal score.  Wtfplayer running on a dedicated machine has brought such new life into my listening I'm doing fresh scans of old discs into PCM.  

1200x630bb.jpg

cover.thumb.JPG.6160ca1c4633e77562ce72135e969125.JPG

Boccherini, Vivaldi & Bach: Cello Concertos. Antonio Janigro and the Solisti di Zagreb. Musicologically incorrect performances on modern instruments with judicious amount of vibrato. Engaging and delightful.

Very good 1960 recorded sound from a 24/96 HDTapeTransfers download. (And garish cover art).

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Guidof said:

cover.thumb.JPG.6160ca1c4633e77562ce72135e969125.JPG

Boccherini, Vivaldi & Bach: Cello Concertos. Antonio Janigro and the Solisti di Zagreb. Musicologically incorrect performances on modern instruments with judicious amount of vibrato. Engaging and delightful.

Very good 1960 recorded sound from a 24/96 HDTapeTransfers download. (And garish cover art).

. . . and he has a lit cigarette in a holder!  

I'm listening to it on Tidal and I agree, a very nice performance and recording.

MUSIC FOR AN ANTWERP CHURCH: International polyphony in Antwerp around 1600

Graindelavoix/ Björn Schmelzer, artistic director

GCD_P322111_cover_HD.thumb.jpg.52aa115c1b56a77dafae38f883c5784c.jpg

Music for an Antwerp Church is the soundtrack for the exhibition Divine Interiors (Antwerp, Museum Mayer van den Bergh, 2016).

Booklet: http://www.glossamusic.com/glossa/files/References/426/GCD_P32111_digital_booklet.pdf

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/music-for-an-antwerp-church-graindelavoix/8424562321113

On 9/28/2017 at 6:04 PM, graham said:

Just finished the first side.

Wow

Dreams and Daggers

Cécile McLorin Salvant's new album. Live at Village Vanguard.

A great trio backing her including Aaron Diehl with a string quartet at times.

Amazing reworking of the standards and more.

image.thumb.png.c2b0c0569677aeb1f483fdcc1bf8cd57.png

Wonderful.  I've enjoyed each of her albums, but this live (double) album is the bee's knees!

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

3 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Orazio Vecchi: Requiem

Rubens’s funeral and the Antwerp Baroque

Graindelavoix, Björn Schmelzer

59cfbcbfbcb88_GCD_P32113_front_HD(1).thumb.jpg.2f1302ab76cd772b4922fca84af50b7f.jpg

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2017/Jun/Vecchi_requiem_GCDP32113.htm

http://www.glossamusic.com/glossa/context.aspx?Id=112

There is a review of this on Amazon by a “Caveat Auditor” which caught my attention for its length and apparent erudition. He or she speaks of matters of which I am poorly informed and unable to critically appraise.

I thought to mention it here for those whose knowledge of early music scholarship is much richer than my humble grasp of such matters.

Let the Listener Beware

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

Hello music-lovers,

Now listening to 

somethin.jpg

Was in the city this morning, and thought: " let's visit the music store" . Wrong, wrong, stupid, stupid, :-). Bought this to lovely discs:bluesintime.jpg

turrentine.jpg

PS: I bought - not exactly computer-audiophile-istic... the black discs... happily spinning on my Rega tt... 

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/NX 3016

NX3016.jpg

New modern arrangement of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition.

Interesting. Good sound and playing.

Is being sold in every format, original was in 24/96. The Chandos link is the least expensive source for the 24.96.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

41WX9SVDXGL.jpg

Slowly overcoming instinct to shunt 'HRH The Prince Of Wales'collection into the bin every time I see the cover of an album.  Viewed as a budget box the performances are quite acceptable though.  Even if too much attention was given it to actually believe performances or packaging was thrown together on the cheap.