5 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

BTW, there are some awesome recordings of Eugene Onegin from soviet period. The one which I would suggest is with Galina Visnevskaya (she was the boss in the family of Rostropovich) and Ivan Lemeshev. The sound is very soviet, but performance is breathtaking. This is the best I know, and I am not sure I am able to embrace any European reading of this.

Thanks for the tip; I really like Onegin.

Going to play a small suite:

519ZRqNPJ4L._SY355_.jpg

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

This is part of a series of wonderful pieces written for Segovia that he never played (too difficult, not tonal enough, too complex, etc.) Excellent sound and playing.

51OlsuAzWkL._SS500.jpg

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

Bach played on an 11-string guitar. Very nice, although I couldn't get my JRiver software to recognize it, so I had to burn the files to a CD. It's from that Brazilian site Guitar Coop--I guess I jinxed myself by saying I didn't have any problems with their files!

capa-CD-800-320x320.jpg

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

15 hours ago, Klavier said:

Bach played on an 11-string guitar. Very nice, although I couldn't get my JRiver software to recognize it, so I had to burn the files to a CD. It's from that Brazilian site Guitar Coop--I guess I jinxed myself by saying I didn't have any problems with their files!

capa-CD-800-320x320.jpg

In my case the files containing the music tracks were bad zipped, Keka® (for Mac OS X) managed to expand them, but still the last track was damaged and can not be read by any music player.
In your case sounds to me as encrypted files so that they can not be copied / moved, but when passed to CD the encryption scheme is hacked.

I am going to proceed to write this people indicating this. Please do so too.

They have good music that is not available elsewhere.

Roch

35 minutes ago, Klavier said:

^^ Done! I'll let you know what they say, assuming that they do actually reply!

Wow, I got a response already! I called them FLAC, when actuality, they are WAV files, so most of the reply concerned a clarification and that JRiver should be able to play them. Yes, it does, but not in this case!

14 minutes ago, Klavier said:

Wow, I got a response already! I called them FLAC, when actuality, they are WAV files, so most of the reply concerned a clarification and that JRiver should be able to play them. Yes, it does, but not in this case!

Yes, they are WAV.

Maybe, if they were FLAC, there would be fewer errors in the transmission / decompression.

Roch

8 minutes ago, elcorso said:

Yes, they are WAV.

Maybe, if they were FLAC, there would be fewer errors in the transmission / decompression.

Roch

They said they use WAV since not everyone can play FLAC files. 

Most of Rodrigo's guitar pieces are hard to play, but his "Elogio de Guitarra" is just off the charts hard! Very well recorded.

71JgLKdBNVL._SL500_.jpg

cover.thumb.jpg.21acde304fe9e44c916012bd42bd63e7.jpg

Smetana: Ma Vlast. Bamberger Symphoniker with Jakub Hrusa. An engaging reading by a Bohemian conductor and a fine German orchestra.

Very good sound from a 16/44.1 Qobuz download, but I wished for (heresy!) a judicious amount of compression. As it is, the pp passages are almost inaudible at normal listening levels.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

On the TT--one of the most realistic guitar recordings I have ever heard. Great demo material in addition to great playing and music! (It's long out of print...)

VinylLP.jpg

Been listening to Zimmermann playing Shostakovich at the Elbphilharmonie.  I had high expectations from several positive comments about the hall's acoustics.  No complaints there but the soloist is a little too prominent relative to the orchestra.  The greater problem for me is the speed the movements are played, much faster than I'm used to.  This makes the sound much more rythmic and sucks out most of the emotion compared to Vengerov/Rostopovich.  Disappointing.

Martin.

R-9904394-1488277103-6536.png.jpg