Woke up at middle of the night. Sat down to listen to the full Duas Vozes by Egberto Gismonti and Nana Vasconcelos. This is perfection in uniting the musical Expression, the performative and technical ability and the incredible quality of the recording.

If you have a good system this record will put you there in the room feeling the air....

Domenico Scarlatti: Sonatas

Angela Hewitt

MI0004001777.jpg

I see that she is working on a second release of Bach's "Goldberg Variations".

The work of which I have the most variations in my library. Almost 22 hours,

if I'm still awake I give up and start a new day'

My listen this evening

Phantasm Jenkins: Six-Part Consorts

691062055635.jpg

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

Interested in your impressions.

Ars Nova is a new area for me. The album contains a good selection from that time, the most important piece being Machaut's Messe de Nastre Dame, which is the first full setting of the Mass Ordinary. Very interesting use of dissonance. The booklet contains an essay by Gerard Geay on Musica Ficta. If I understand the point correctly, it's at least implied that some of these dissonance could be result of ficta instead of written in the score. If that is the case, different rendition of the same piece can sound rather different. I'm getting the version by Ensemble Gilles Binchois for comparison. We'll see.

I see that she is working on a second release of Bach's "Goldberg Variations".

The work of which I have the most variations in my library.

I'm not that heavily into Goldberg Variations--only have a dozen or so copies. Will have to checkout this new one of hers. Thanks. She's so insightful, and she always explain her approach in the booklet.

I'm not that heavily into Goldberg Variations--only have a dozen or so copies. Will have to checkout this new one of hers. Thanks. She's so insightful, and she always explain her approach in the booklet.

"only a dozen copies" qualifies you as a "Golbergian", IMHO

I don't have the knowledge/skills to evaluate performances and interpretations critically.

I just know what I like and she rarely disappoints.

In queue for this evening is a curious recording

RAVEL, M.: Transcriptions for Marimba and Vibraphone

(Dances and Fairy Tales) (Joint Venture Percussion Duo)

4981256-origpic-767ee6.jpg

I don't have much music with these instruments other than Gary Burton and a bit of Lionel Hampton. Previews caught my attention so I've taken a chance on this.

I've always liked their bell-like timbre and the way the music "floats".

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

Looks interesting. What do you think of this one?

Ice & Longboats: Ancient Music of Scandinavia

Ensemble Mare Balticum, Åke Egevad, Jens Egevad

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28138[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28139[/ATTACH]

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Looks interesting. What do you think of this one?

I've listened twice and I like it. The timbres of recreated instruments come out clearly. The playing and chanting is competent and the arrangers have made some interesting choices. There is a fair amount of variety as well. But I would guess this is more for the academic and public radio crowd ;) (I have a large medieval music collection, so an unusual level of interest). Definitely worth listening to the samples! https://www.7digital.com/artist/ensemble-mare-balticum/release/ice-and-longboats-5469000

91WqquCsj5L._SL1500_.jpg

A box set of a country-by-country survey of the emerging trio sonata during the Baroque era.

"only a dozen copies" qualifies you as a "Golbergian", IMHO

:)

I don't have the knowledge/skills to evaluate performances and interpretations critically.

I just know what I like and she rarely disappoints.

Actually I'm not very fuzzy about performance and interpretation. Mostly I'm interested in the music and the history behind its development. There are always reasons why performers have chosen to interpret things a certain way. The good thing about Angela Hewitt is that she very often shares her analysis and choices in the booklet. And as you said she rarely disappoints. So her analysis must be right on.

A box set of a country-by-country survey of the emerging trio sonata during the Baroque era.

Most interesting. Thanks! Album of the evening:

David Kellner: Phantasia José Miguel Moreno

8424562201125_300.jpg

:)

Actually I'm not very fuzzy about performance and interpretation. Mostly I'm interested in the music and the history behind its development. There are always reasons why performers have chosen to interpret things a certain way. The good thing about Angela Hewitt is that she very often shares her analysis and choices in the booklet. And as you said she rarely disappoints. So her analysis must be right on.

Most interesting. Thanks! Album of the evening:

David Kellner: Phantasia José Miguel Moreno

8424562201125_300.jpg

Thanks for this, I love most Baroque lute and was unaware of this.

Speaking of the Goldbergs and an artist's reflection on their approach, you might enjoy Jeremy Denks recent take on the "Variation". Comes with a companion DVD wherein, at the piano, he discusses variation by variation.

'The Biggest Jazz Riff Ever Written:' Jeremy Denk's 'Goldberg Variations' : Deceptive Cadence : NPR

075597958690.1200x1200-75.jpg

Ars Nova is a new area for me. The album contains a good selection from that time, the most important piece being Machaut's Messe de Nastre Dame, which is the first full setting of the Mass Ordinary. Very interesting use of dissonance. The booklet contains an essay by Gerard Geay on Musica Ficta. If I understand the point correctly, it's at least implied that some of this dissonance could be result of ficta instead of written in the score. If that is the case, different rendition of the same piece can sound rather different. I'm getting the version by Ensemble Gilles Binchois for comparison. We'll see.

Yes, I think so. Ensembles make different choices on this, as well as vocal timbre and ornamentation (you'll notice this with Ensemble Gilles Binchois, although they are not nearly as extreme as a couple of other ensembles) . I have only a limited theoretical grasp of accidentals. Although there are certainly guidelines, so that ficta are to some extent implied, there still seem to be many cases where there are several "legitimate" options. Sometimes ficta choices are made within a thicket of possibilities...or so I've read. ;)

For today:

Jean Mouton: Missa Dictes Moy Toutes Voz Pensees

Tallis Scholars / Phillips

Very influenced by his teacher, Josquin Desprez. Fine performance and recording.

819V5K3ltLL._SL1400_.jpg

[...] Speaking of the Goldbergs and an artist's reflection on their approach, you might enjoy Jeremy Denks recent take on the "Variation". Comes with a companion DVD wherein, at the piano, he discusses variation by variation.

'The Biggest Jazz Riff Ever Written:' Jeremy Denk's 'Goldberg Variations' : Deceptive Cadence : NPR

Will have to check it out. Thanks.

Jean Mouton: Missa Dictes Moy Toutes Voz Pensees

Tallis Scholars / Phillips

Very influenced by his teacher, Josquin Desprez. Fine performance and recording.

This one's been on the buy queue for a while... Album of the evening:

Léonin, Pérotin: Sacred Music from Notre-Dame Cathedral

Tonus Peregrinus

MI0001106318.jpg

Will have to check it out. Thanks.

You are most welcome. Thanks to you for the Kellner "Phantasia". I only had a few anthology tracks of his and Moreno is a new artist for me.

On my last disc of the "Grand Tour" mentioned above, "An Italian Sojourn".

Italian_Sojourn_high.jpg