Blow: Symphony Anthems

St. James' Baroque Players - Robert Quinney

9214259.jpg

Great performances of unusual works. Read the liner notes; John Blow comes across as quite the character, plus it sheds some light on pre-Classical views on what it means to be a composer. Bonus Points: As a former student of the College of William and Mary, the first piece was especially interesting to me.

I have a special fondness for Elizabethan consort music - that era between late Renaissance and early Baroque. Phantasm excels in this genre and I'm settling down to a few hours of their two most recent releases. This adds two minor composers to my library, John Ward and Robert Parsons.

1280x1280.jpg

1280x1280.jpg

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

Speaking of Elizabethan music, just got the Ricercar 101 box set that covers the era:

Reformation & Counter-Reformation

51zkXnrbneL._SL300_.jpg

Listened to CD2 "The English Reformation". Works by John Taverner, William Cornysh, Henry VIII, Thomas Tallis, William Byrd and Henry Purcell. Performed by Tallis Scholars, Vox Luminis, Rcercar Consort and Collegium Voclae/Philippe Herreweghe.

Speaking of Elizabethan music, just got the Ricercar 101 box set that covers the era:

Reformation & Counter-Reformation

51zkXnrbneL._SL300_.jpg

Listened to CD2 "The English Reformation". Works by John Taverner, William Cornysh, Henry VIII, Thomas Tallis, William Byrd and Henry Purcell. Performed by Tallis Scholars, Vox Luminis, Rcercar Consort and Collegium Voclae/Philippe Herreweghe.

Thanks for this, it's escaped my attention. Looks like an investment to inform the mind and please the soul, if I can use that word in a Reformational-counter Reformational context.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

I guess DG remastered its second, stereo set of Kempff's Beethoven? By some reason I prefer earlier mono. Artur Schnabel's set is available in several editions, some of them sounds better than others. Some prefer Naxos, others Pearl or Dante, Membran sounds best for me. You may want to check what will sound better for you, given the merits of this first ever recording of the cycle it might be very rewarding quest. I agree with your recommendation of Brautigam and would like to add recent Michael Korstick set as another new one which would be interesting for checking. From earlier ones I love first Philips set from Alfred Brendel. Of course, I see no point to doubt everybody will have its own preferences among tens and tens of available sets...)

Thanks for your views and recommendations. As I keep listening to Kempff's stereo recordings, my appreciation of his interpretations is growing, especially for the middle sonatas. For the early ones, I decidedly prefer Brautigam. For the final ones, I find Serkin (ÖRF-DG 1980s live recording) and Richter (1963 Leipzig live recording - Parnassus CD) hard to beat.

images.jpg

I tried unsuccessfully to find this at the local library last night but ended up with Vilde Frang's version of Britten and Korngold violin concertos. Despite the high expectations, somewhat disappointed with the Britten effort. This is in comparison to the version with Linus Roth and the Deutsches Symphonie Berlin 2015. This recording has more of everything; impact, emotion and ends up on the playlist often. Highly recommended.

Martin

Thanks for your views and recommendations. As I keep listening to Kempff's stereo recordings, my appreciation of his interpretations is growing, especially for the middle sonatas. For the early ones, I decidedly prefer Brautigam. For the final ones, I find Serkin (ÖRF-DG 1980s live recording) and Richter (1963 Leipzig live recording - Parnassus CD) hard to beat.
Thank you for reply. Many years ago I had some Richter recordings of sonatas which I liked then, but not anymore. Fortunately, we have a huge variety of Beethoven sonatas recordings to choose from today.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

If you exclude Hendrix from the Jazz/Rock Fusion category, there's only 2 guitar gods left in that genre in the 1970s. John McLaughlin is one of them (Larry Coryell is the gentler of the two). I feel these Columbia releases are his 'defining" milestones.

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28371[/ATTACH]

Perfect evening atmospherics. I agree with this review. Listening to 88.2/24 FLAC from HDtracks.

Thanks for this, I heard an NPR review earlier today and didn't find a simply way for a digital purchase. Blue Note site was utterly unhelpful and Amazon had only the LP.

I bought the download from HDtracks.

That was clear and I have done the same, many thanks...

From the often excellent, albeit limited catalog of Sound Liaison

The second release of Carmen Gomes, all of which are superb.

18172d1430009089-music-testing-audio-equipment-carmen-gomes-inc-thousand-shades-blue.jpg

To those interested in sacred choral music, I just noticed Presto's soon-to-be-released work.

239461652.jpg

Fux & Kerll: Requiems in Concert