Bugged by this thread, playing Bruckner 8 tonight by Jochum.

How are you finding the sound quality? I tried listening to this a couple months ago (1976 Dresden recording, remastering from 2000), but I gave up because something seemed very artificial about the sound. Perhaps disfigured by overly aggressive dehissing? I switched to symphony #5 from the same set (1990 remastering), and it sounded much better to me.

How are you finding the sound quality? I tried listening to this a couple months ago (1976 Dresden recording, remastering from 2000), but I gave up because something seemed very artificial about the sound. Perhaps disfigured by overly aggressive dehissing? I switched to symphony #5 from the same set (1990 remastering), and it sounded much better to me.

Unfortunately, pretty shoebox (6/10 at best), which doesn't do the beautiful music a lot of good.

In a quest to better grasp the historical context and musical evolution of a given era, I've been drawn to compilations which raise my awareness in these regards. The four disc set "The Grand Tour" by Trio Settecento which presents the development of the trio sonata as it occurred in Italy, France, Germany & England was last weeks experience.

In a similar vein, I begin tonight with this...

71YabBjs9HL._SL1076_.jpg

Featuring Adrian Chandler with La Serenissima.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

Africa Express Presents Terry Riley's in C Mali

Cool. Didn't know about this one. Like this version.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks for this but I'll have to wait as the disc is going for $200 on Amazon and the only digital I found is on itunes which is a platform I avoid. Closest in my collection is Williams Spanish Guitar and Narciso Yepes - Caprichos y Escenas para Guitarra

Portada_G.jpg

Tonight's listening will be

MI0001153523.jpg

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

Thanks for this but I'll have to wait as the disc is going for $200 on Amazon and the only digital I found is on itunes which is a platform I avoid. [...]

Guitar Recital: Moreno, Jose Miguel - Narvaez, L. / Lopez / Milan, L. / Mudarra, A. / Murcia, S. / Guerau, F. / Sanz, G. / Sor, F. | Compositeurs Divers par José Miguel MorenoÂ*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

But downloads for earlier Glossa albums do not come with a booklet. In any case, album of the evening:

Jacob Obrecht: Missa Maria zart

The Tallis Scholars, Peter Phillips

MI0000933621.jpg

Guitar Recital: Moreno, Jose Miguel - Narvaez, L. / Lopez / Milan, L. / Mudarra, A. / Murcia, S. / Guerau, F. / Sanz, G. / Sor, F. | Compositeurs Divers par José Miguel MorenoÂ*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

But downloads for earlier Glossa albums do not come with a booklet. In any case, album of the evening:

Jacob Obrecht: Missa Maria zart

The Tallis Scholars, Peter Phillips

MI0000933621.jpg

Many thanks. A cursory Google didn't seem to catch this and I had forgotten that 'muricans could shop there. If I recall correctly, this wasn't true several months ago. They fell of the map for me.

Last thing I really need is a great place to buy more music but I am grateful.

José Miguel Moreno ‎– La Guitarra Española (1536-1836)

Thanks for this but I'll have to wait as the disc is going for $200 on Amazon and the only digital I found is on itunes which is a platform I avoid.

Yikes! I listened on Tidal.

Cantica Symphonia / Giuseppe Maletto

Heinrich Isaac: Missa Misericordias Domini & Motets

This is on the Gramophone Awards shortlist for 2016 in Early Music. Worth a listen if you have Tidal. Not sure if it would be on my shortlist. The Mass is a premier recording based on Maletto's doctoral thesis.

71J7AfnIaPL._SL1500_.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28517[/ATTACH]

Streaming from Qobuz: Biber: The Rosary Sonatas | Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber par Hélène SchmittÂ*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

(to compare against Rachel Podger's recent Channel Classics version)

Together with

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28518[/ATTACH]

Looks like a 'spiritual' celebration of the senses, nice...

And lastly for this evening "The Rise of the North Italian Violin Concerto:

1690-1740, Vol. 3 - The Golden Age "

Folder.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28517[/ATTACH]

Streaming from Qobuz: http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/biber-the-rosary-sonatas-helene-schmitt/4026798102562

(to compare against Rachel Podger's recent Channel Classics version)

Together with

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28518[/ATTACH]

Ok I no nothing about single malt.

I have a person coming to Montana who asked me to have OBAN 18 yr upon his arrival. The price is like 130 bucks for a bottle. Is that what good 18 year old single malts go for?? I'm thinking of telling him to stay home.

Magister Leoninus: Sacred Music from 12th-century Paris

Red Byrd, Cappella Amsterdam

MI0000987410.jpg

My knowledge of and appreciation for music this early is limited. A direction into which I hope to expand, I notice that Linn is releasing a new work by the Gothic Voices.

Mary Star Of The Sea

Gothic.jpg

I notice that it will include a 32 page booklet for those of us who wish for more info on the works recorded.

My queue this evening...

CC+Coletti+++Bring+it+on+Home.jpg

GRV1088-45-Large.jpg

Ok I no nothing about single malt.

I have a person coming to Montana who asked me to have OBAN 18 yr upon his arrival. The price is like 130 bucks for a bottle. Is that what good 18 year old single malts go for?? I'm thinking of telling him to stay home.

Like every luxury product in recent years, prices have gone up significantly, whether justified or not. It's a classical test of price elasticity, increase it until people stop buying, and with all the incremental demand from Asia that is unlikely to be very soon.

Now if you're not into single malt, those numbers must seem crazy, and I agree they probably are.

In any case, the Glenlivet 18 above is still relatively "moderately" priced, you can find it at $60-80 in shops. A true scotch need will frown a bit on Glenlivet, it is one of the biggest distilleries and seen as producing mass quantities of smooth stuff for the US market whuch doesn't like Scotch that's very peaty.

I don't care and find it quite good value for money.

Like every luxury product in recent years, prices have gone up significantly, whether justified or not. It's a classical test of price elasticity, increase it until people stop buying, and with all the incremental demand from Asia that is unlikely to be very soon.

Now if you're not into single malt, those numbers must seem crazy, and I agree they probably are.

In any case, the Glenlivet 18 above is still relatively "moderately" priced, you can find it at $60-80 in shops. A true scotch need will frown a bit on Glenlivet, it is one of the biggest distilleries and seen as producing mass quantities of smooth stuff for the US market whuch doesn't like Scotch that's very peaty.

I don't care and find it quite good value for money.

As always I appreciate your knowledge and insight. Thanks

My knowledge of and appreciation for music this early is limited. A direction into which I hope to expand, I notice that Linn is releasing a new work by the Gothic Voices.

Mary Star Of The Sea

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28549[/ATTACH]

Gothic Voices is a fine ensemble (although there may have been some changes in singers in recent years). The extracts sounded good to me and this weekend Linn is offering an early-bird pre-release sale at 10% off. Tempting. Note that this looks like mostly late medieval music and includes 6 modern compositions.

Gothic Voices is a fine ensemble (although there may have been some changes in singers in recent years). The extracts sounded good to me and this weekend Linn is offering an early-bird pre-release sale at 10% off. Tempting. Note that this looks like mostly late medieval music and includes 6 modern compositions.

Thanks for the response, I'm glad to share what little I know. I did notice the presence of two contemporary composers, Joanne Metcalf (4 of 22 tracks) and Andrew Smith with two tracks.