This is my favorite thread for discovering new music. Many of my choices have been validated here as well as many new finds. Little I can add to all that has been offered here. However this little gem seems to have escaped any mention.

Phoebe's Dream - Jitterbug Vipers | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

The band's back story is here...

The Jitterbug Vipers | Austin Woman Magazine

Thanks to all...

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

chesky.jpg

Just released. If you like contemporary "classical" music you will probably like this. Unless you hate Chesky.

Recorded in a Church and sounds very good. Not a surprise coming from Chesky.

Google for a discount code. There are plenty around for downloading it.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Awesome! Which reminds me: I've had Tallis Scholar's Taverner Missa Gloris tibi Trinitas on the listen queue for a while. Need to get to it soon. And I've been meaning to get the Missa Corona spinea too. It's supposed to be even more difficult. Your impressions?

I like it. It draws me in and holds my interest. It is not ordinary: something of a celebration of treble, but also includes 2 bass parts. The number of parts being sung keeps changing and the parts keep moving so the net effect is somewhat unpredictable. I'm surprised by the overall mood of calm celebration and joy. This is the Feast of the Crown of Thorns, but it is almost as if the choir is seeing through this to the crown of glory, which is a beautiful sentiment. This is, to my ears, easily the best recording and performance of this Mass of the 4 I've heard.

[ATTACH]26049[/ATTACH]

Just released. 24/96 download from HDtracks. Real good sound quality, great performance.

This is one of the relatively few (<10) Dead concerts I experienced in a previous life. My old ticket stub says it cost me $8.25 (Dead $ Company tickets for Folsom Field in Boulder this summer cost me $125)

I just got this from ponomusic.com. For some reason they are only selling the CD on dead.net (you can buy the whole July 1978 collection for $125). I got the 24/192 download (the only option) for $40. There looks to be info out to about 50kHz (so a bit beyond what might be sampled at 96kHz, but that should be more than adequate). It checks out as apparently authentic 24 bit as well. The sound quality is great. Listening to Donna, however, screeching on Deal, was kind of like chewing on broken shards of glass.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26105[/ATTACH]

Another Frank Morgan selection tonight via TIDAL.

When I search for it in Tidal it doesn't come up. Can you send the direct page link with the album number? Thanks.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Guillaume Du Fay: The Tenor Masses (Les messes à teneur)

Jesse Rodin, Cut Circle

2 CDs, 4 Masses

New release. Well recorded and well performed masses by one of the most celebrated composers of the fifteenth century who, along with John Dunstable, was a key transitional figure between what we recognize as medieval music and renaissance music. Qobuz has this for a low 11.99 euros. Also available on Tidal.

71sh2YnEL3L._SL1200_ (1).jpg

71+SdW0VGQL._SL1200_.jpg

Rautavaara: Rubáiyát, Balada, Canto V & 4 Songs from Rasputin

MI0004053625.jpg

A huge, luscious recording of music that is compelling and sometimes just plain gripping (e.g., Track 10, "Into the Heart of the Light, 'Canto V'"). Rautavarra gets a lot of praise at places like Classics Today, much of which I've found undeserved, and I've never fully bought into it, but this recording is special. Even non-fans of the composer should give this a listen.

christopher3393, thank you for this wonderful recommendation. There is a certain timelessness to how this group performs this music that I enjoy greatly. For those who might care, it also is available on ClassicsOnline HD*LL, both at 44/24 and 44/16.

Guillaume Du Fay: The Tenor Masses (Les messes à teneur)

Jesse Rodin, Cut Circle

2 CDs, 4 Masses

New release. Well recorded and well performed masses by one of the most celebrated composers of the fifteenth century who, along with John Dunstable, was a key transitional figure between what we recognize as medieval music and renaissance music. Qobuz has this for a low 11.99 euros. Also available on Tidal.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26217[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26218[/ATTACH]

Wordless Verses

Jackson Trio

751778166824-cover-zoom.jpg

Here is a performance of pieces you've probably not heard, by a trio grouping of instruments equally unusual (viola, piano, oboe). The players here are clearly very talented, but the music doesn't call for virtuosic turns, rather strong ensemble playing. And that is what is on offer here. The three play as if they were one. That might make it sound like they are playing mechanically, but they are not; it's a very organic, fluid, emotionally satisfying performance, from beginning to end. I listened to this streaming at 24/96 on ClassicsOnline (formerly ClassicsOnline HD*LL until yesterday, as it happens).

51bcdi+gSrL.jpg

Fun... from Shirley Bassey's powerful vocals in Goldfinger to Tina Turner rocking it in GoldenEye, Carly Simon's Nobody Does It Better, and even Duran Duran with A View to a Kill. Of course the Bond theme... ah will probably have to start watching the movies again.

For tonight I'm playing Bond, imagining all the crazy fights, and getting all the beautiful women.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Roland de Lassus

Biographie musicale vol. V : Lassus l’Européen

Lionel Munier, Vox Luminis

Vox Luminis is , as usual, impressive. Very fine ensemble work on the final installment in this series.

"Lassus is today considered to be the chief representative of the mature polyphonic style of the Franco-Flemish school, and one of the three most famous and influential musicians in Europe at the end of the 16th century (the other two being Palestrina and Victoria)."

81dvHIUwRcL._SL1400_.jpg

81+UWJcQO1L._SL1500_.jpg

These two this morning, as I usually do for critical listening (and enjoyment for the second one) after major equipment changes/tweaks. DSD on my SET Tube Amp is to die for.

The Best of Sade (DSD128)

81MV2MrrTqL._SY355_.jpg

Roxy Music - Avalon

avalon.jpg

The Tom drum works on "While my hear is still beating" from Avalon now are very clear as are all the little percussions and guitar + brass work on "The Main Thing".

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

cover.jpg

Revisiting an old friend: Chopin: Piano Concerto No. 2, 24 Preludes. Maria Joao Pires. The Royal Philarmonic with Andre Previn.

Excellent sound from a CD rip.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Roland de Lassus

Biographie musicale vol. V : Lassus l’Européen

Lionel Munier, Vox Luminis

Vox Luminis is , as usual, impressive. Very fine ensemble work on the final installment in this series.

"Lassus is today considered to be the chief representative of the mature polyphonic style of the Franco-Flemish school, and one of the three most famous and influential musicians in Europe at the end of the 16th century (the other two being Palestrina and Victoria)."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26318[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26319[/ATTACH]

Thanks for this wonderful suggestion. Listening to this grand, complex music performed with the seeming effortlessness of this ensemble is hugely gratifying. They sing like a flowing river, until they do not, when one of the soloists leaps out and grabs you by the ears. And the sound is fantastic. I listened at 24/176 streaming from ClassicsOnline. Tons of detail but not a microscope; the whole supplants the parts, while the recording had the detail necessary for a highly analytical listening venture if that's what you seek. I particularly like how the recording manages sibilance. Listen and hear what I mean about that.