Domenico Scarlatti: Sonatas for Viola d’Amore & Harpsichord

Valerio Losito, Andrea Coen

MI0003220158.jpg

More like Scarlatti played on viola d'amore and harpsichord. Sounds nothing like normal Scarlatti regular Scarlatti keyboard sonatas. But turns out all but two short ones are on the last CD of Scott Ross' complete Scarlatti sonatas set, where they were played on violin. So not nearly as novel as I initially thought. Oh well...

Western Wind - Mass by John Taverner and Court Music for Henry VIII

Taverner Choir and Players/Andrew Parrott

Very well performed. My new favorite recording of this mass based on a relatively well known song of the time. Other fine recordings of this Mass include the Tallis Scholars more leisurely and very different performance, The Sixteen, and the brisk-paced and again quite different interpretation by Ars Nova Copenhagen.

From a review: "The mass is probably the first by an English composer to be based on a secular song, a quite risqué one at that: “I wish my love were in me arms / and I in me bed again”. Track one has the beautiful and memorable melody played on a recorder. To hear a (shortened) vocal version you must wait until track twenty. It reappears in the last track which is an instrumental version in two parts."

Worth noting: John Renbourne recorded a 2-part guitar version of this and Maddy Prior and Tim Hart a brief 2-part acapella version (late 60's, early seventies prime British folk material). Scarlett Johansson sang a distraught solo rendition in "The Other Boleyn Girl".

The harmonies in the Mass parts all build of this basic tune, referred to as the "cantus firmus", in some wonderfully creative ways.

819MxF9ub+L._SL1200_.jpg

711UgP1fVXL._SL1200_.jpg

Compare:

Wordless Verses

Jackson Trio

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26301[/ATTACH]

Here is a performance of pieces you've probably not heard, by a trio grouping of instruments equally unusual (viola, piano, oboe). The players here are clearly very talented, but the music doesn't call for virtuosic turns, rather strong ensemble playing. And that is what is on offer here. The three play as if they were one. That might make it sound like they are playing mechanically, but they are not; it's a very organic, fluid, emotionally satisfying performance, from beginning to end. I listened to this streaming at 24/96 on ClassicsOnline (formerly ClassicsOnline HD*LL until yesterday, as it happens).

I gave this a listen this weekend. It was a lovely recording of music that wasn't quite my cup of tea. I'm still glad I gave it a listen though, and I may seek out other recordings by these guys to see if something grabs me more.

... It was a lovely recording of music that wasn't quite my cup of tea. I'm still glad I gave it a listen though, and I may seek out other recordings by these guys to see if something grabs me more.

EXACTLY! That's what this thread is all about. Or at least a big part of what this thread is about. Discovery of music.

Amazing album and amazing mastering by Bernie Grundman on this one. 3-dimentional sound, depth, warmth and PRaT - toe tapping cut!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26420[/ATTACH]

Excellent recommendation. I take it you were not listening to Rudy Van Gelder's 2008 remaster. I ask because TIDAL has two versions of this album, and the one with which they associate the album artwork in your post is the Van Gelder version. Just idle curiosity, as I can of course listen to both versions in TIDAL and make up my own mind! =^)

Excellent recommendation. I take it you were not listening to Rudy Van Gelder's 2008 remaster. I ask because TIDAL has two versions of this album, and the one with which they associate the album artwork in your post is the Van Gelder version. Just idle curiosity, as I can of course listen to both versions in TIDAL and make up my own mind! =^)

No, I am not listening to RVG, 2014 Bernie Grundman mastering. For RVG I can recommend this one from 2002 - it's rarity of good RVG transfer and mastering:

folder.jpg

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

outstanding!

ANOHNI - Hopelessness

packshot.jpg

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

John Taverner: Missa Gloria Tibi Trinitas

The Tallis Scholars, Peter Phillips

MI0001057451.jpg

Tallis Scholars have two recordings of the Taverner Missa Gloria Tibi Trinitas. The 2013 recording is getting rave reviews. But this 1984 recording is supposed to have the better performance. Regardless, the performance here is amazing indeed.

71gvqzdJOgL._SL1104_.jpg

One of VH's underrated albums, its still powerful 20 years on. Has a little bit of everything from the ballad Can't Stop Lovin' You to the drum solo in Doin' Time, powerful vocals, amazing guitar riffs, and more.

Highly recommended if you are into VH (but you probably have it), even otherwise a good hard rock/metal album that's still delivers.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

John Taverner: Missa Gloria Tibi Trinitas

The Tallis Scholars, Peter Phillips

MI0001057451.jpg

Tallis Scholars have two recordings of the Taverner Missa Gloria Tibi Trinitas. The 2013 recording is getting rave reviews. But this 1984 recording is supposed to have the better performance. Regardless, the performance here is amazing indeed.

One critic's comparison of the 2 recordings: "Both recordings were made in the chapel of Merton College, Oxford, with a bare minimum of singers: 15 in 1984, 13 this time around. The acoustic on the new CD sounds marginally closer and less reverberant. But what’s really different is the timing: 34 minutes in 1984, 41 in 2013. The 1984 recording was a comet, with one ardent rush in the “Filius Patris” section of the Gloria and another at the end of the “miserere nobis” in the first Agnus Dei. The new version, austere and meditative, is more of a star. It’s transposed up a minor third, and the two trebles, Janet Coxwell and Amy Haworth, are sensationally bright and clear at the top. They tend to overwhelm the rest of the choir, which may not be to every taste."

Here's the later recording, sans high SQ:

[video=youtube;-kwsbzWHoiw]

I was searching for bari saxo in jazz and this one is awesome! Good sound, highly recommended in redbook quality.

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 22.47.38.png

What Is There To Say? | Gerry Mulligan – Télécharger et écouter l'album

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Two beautiful recordings of William Byrd's "Infelix Ego":

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26463[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26464[/ATTACH]

christopher3393,

Just want to say a 'big thank you' for all these suggestions. You're on my "following' list - I'm getting many of the recordings you have posted. The Stile Antico is good (already have it). Will be getting the Taverner/Western Wind and Byrd.

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

51cBiquIbmL.jpg

71Px1B15l+L._SL1200_.jpg

Bought the first one years ago... Shady Grove a was regular on the playlist.

On first listen 2 is good (even better), but will need more repeat sessions. But then I've a thing for Southern rock, so it's never going to suck in my book.

Now if only the Traveling Wilburys could put out more albums...

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

cover.JPG

Falla:

El Amor Brujo. Ernest Ansermet and L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande.

El Retablo de Maese Pedro. Ataulfo Argenta and the National Orchestra of Spain.

Excellent sound from an LP digitized at 24/192.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.