Been meaning to give this one a listen but haven’t done so yet. I'm a big fan of his stuff, especially the Abraxas album on DSD64.

Will have to go shopping for "IV" now

Its good, can even say return to form of the old band.

That I'd be biased as I've most of their albums, even the out of form ones, and would rate them better than most lesser band's best work.

Still a good album that does not disappoint.

61mcuPpnRmL._SL1059_.jpg

Good collection of all his major hits. Good vocals + trip down memory lane with Eagles + good wine and dim lighting = pure bliss.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Scattered Ashes - Josquin's Miserere and the Savonarolan Legacy

Philip Cave/ Magnificat

91EyzlTfWWL._SL1500_.jpg

61lq6eiREXL._SL1200_.jpg

Featured here is Josquin des Prez (c1450/55-1521), "Miserere mei, Deus" [17.33], based on a penitential psalm. This is the best performance of this work that I have found, and it is really excellent, imo. Josquin is one of the finest and most influential among Renaissance composers. Most of the other tracks are fine performances of seldom recorded compositions, with the exception of the last track, a very worthy performance of William Byrd's well-known "Infelix Ego".

Philip Cave's brief performance note on singing Josquin's Miserere, pp. 16-17 of the booklet, describe the music better than I can: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6IHpvmfr6gMZ0FXSGQycDRnWFU/view

Scattered Ashes - Josquin's Miserere and the Savonarolan Legacy

Philip Cave/ Magnificat

Featured here is Josquin des Prez (c1450/55-1521), "Miserere mei, Deus" [17.33], based on a penitential psalm. This is the best performance of this work that I have found, and it is really excellent, imo. Josquin is one of the finest and most influential among Renaissance composers. Most of the other tracks are fine performances of seldom recorded compositions, with the exception of the last track, a very worthy performance of William Byrd's well-known "Infelix Ego".

Philip Cave's brief performance note on singing Josquin's Miserere, pp. 16-17 of the booklet, describe the music better than I can: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6IHpvmfr6gMZ0FXSGQycDRnWFU/view

This is very enticing.Many thanks for the booklet, which explains the project: the link between Savonarola and Joaquin was totally incomprehensible for me until I read it.

Back on topic: Schumann's Cello Concerto by JG Queyras. I cannot get tired of this recording, which I got in high res from Qobuz. It is the recording I am listening to most frequently these days, together with Beyoncé's Lemonade (which I find a very good pop album).

71cmZiAfjL._SL1500_-1200x1200.jpg

Followed by Schumann's Wiener Fasting (also in high res from Qobuz):

71L+5KvKSiL._SL1500_.jpg

RAM 6: Manmanm Se Ginen

RAM

719qu+Wv79L._SL1000_.jpg

This is just a fantastic album by Haitian-American superstar and hotelier extraordinaire, Richard A. Morse, who lends his initials to the name of his band. If you know nothing about Haitian music, start here. If you know everything about Haitian music, then assuming you have not already heard it, listen to this album. It's a living art album, advancing the Haitian musical styles while inhabiting them with the respect they deserve.

81HoSsvpFRL._SL1500_.jpg

I've been on a bit of a Santana trip the last couple of weeks... with the album IV and then getting a haul of most of their albums on CD. Of course their earlier works are the best, especially the first 2 albums are a must in any collection, but this being Santana... they can record and make music in their sleep that will better every act that's any less gifted.

Not their best, and certainly not the greatest guitar tunes of all time, but still it's Santana and it rocks every bit in the guitar riffs and instruments department.

Grab some coffee or wine, pull up your feet, and let it rip!

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Very nice album -- thanks for the post! Streaming via Tidal (easiest to search on the album name -- doesn't not show up under Jackson Trio).

Wordless Verses

Jackson Trio

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26301[/ATTACH]

Here is a performance of pieces you've probably not heard, by a trio grouping of instruments equally unusual (viola, piano, oboe). The players here are clearly very talented, but the music doesn't call for virtuosic turns, rather strong ensemble playing. And that is what is on offer here. The three play as if they were one. That might make it sound like they are playing mechanically, but they are not; it's a very organic, fluid, emotionally satisfying performance, from beginning to end. I listened to this streaming at 24/96 on ClassicsOnline (formerly ClassicsOnline HD*LL until yesterday, as it happens).

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26617[/ATTACH]

Good collection of all his major hits. Good vocals + trip down memory lane with Eagles + good wine and dim lighting = pure bliss.

I've got this one also. The musical content is very good but the sound is hideous with a total DR = 7. At least on my copy it is. When I fire it up to listen I usually do so while in another room and just enjoy it from a distance :)

I've got this one also. The musical content is very good but the sound is hideous with a total DR = 7. At least on my copy it is. When I fire it up to listen I usually do so while in another room and just enjoy it from a distance :)

I've a couple of amps in my setup, one with actual tone controls and so I tone it down a fair bit. It's a good temporary fix for the extra loudness and sibilance.

I also have the Solo Collection, and it sounds better. But the selection of songs itself is not top notch, there are a few I'd give a miss.

51i7mH1GP5L.jpg

718cdQuerKL._SL1500_.jpg

Good selection of Herbie's music. Has a little bit of everything from jazz and pop to fusion and even hip-hop.

A good introduction to the man and his music... and for the fans a good CD with a good repertoire of his music.

Impressions?

It's excellent. You mentioned his approach seems to be less hurried compared to O'Dette. That might just be the difference in phrasing. Duration of Fantasia 30 are almost the same, yet they sounded quite different. (Granted I'm play FLAC file for Smith and youtube video for O'Dette) Plus the SQ of the Hopkinson Smith version is rather amazing. It's like he's playing inside the room.