MI0000161029.jpg

Taking in some Santana while I look around for the new album.

Initial reviews say that Santana IV is pretty good.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Taking in some Santana while I look around for the new album.

I like the new IV, but most of it seems to be Shaman type songs played by the III musicians. It's very well produced but just seems too polished to me. Americanized Latin rhythms, softened guitar solos... Guess you can't go backwards in your own life - have to make do with remembering the rhythms and guitar that rocked my world when I first heard them. [emoji12] It is, however, worth it for a couple of gems. Buy it!

Woodkid: the Golden Age, in high-res from Qobuz. The singer (Yann Lemoine) has a rather poor voice but a decidedly rich talent for producing and a knack for creating atmospheres, so in the end for me this is really top-notch pop. I like this album quite a lot, and it bears repeated playing.

Woodkid-The-Golden-Age.png

Schumann: 1st symphony Spring (this is the right time to listen to it after all) by Furtwängler conducting the VPO. Of course, this is a bit of a tough competitor for poor Woodkid. This is simply a great recording of Schumann's first symphony. Even Sawallisch sounds boring by comparison. And after having heard that version, I think I can probably never go back to Dausgaard's ridiculous (though very well recorded) chamber version with the Swedish Chamber Orchestra - or maybe sometimes I'll listen to snippets of Dausgaard's version for the fun of comparing them with Furtwängler's...

symphonies-n-1-printemps-4-3149028039221_0.jpg

I like the new IV, but most of it seems to be Shaman type songs played by the III musicians. It's very well produced but just seems too polished to me. Americanized Latin rhythms, softened guitar solos... Guess you can't go backwards in your own life - have to make do with remembering the rhythms and guitar that rocked my world when I first heard them. [emoji12] It is, however, worth it for a couple of gems. Buy it!

Have to agree with you there. What is remarkable though is that these boys are still able to do a little magic on a few numbers.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

復古殿 陳雷激

fugudian.jpg

Title is the name of the guqin used in the album. This instrument used to belong to the first emperor of the Song dynasty. The sound of the instrument is powerful and delicate at the same time. SQ of the HQCD version is rather breath taking. And looks like elusive disc has the UHQCD version on pre-order now. Should be quite something.

Was meaning to get it, just did not get around to it.

Thanks, served as a reminder. Ordered.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

復古殿 陳雷激

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25788[/ATTACH]

Title is the name of the guqin used in the album. This instrument used to belong to the first emperor of the Song dynasty. The sound of the instrument is powerful and delicate at the same time. SQ of the HQCD version is rather breath taking. And looks like elusive disc has the UHQCD version on pre-order now. Should be quite something.

Thanks. Noticed that the HQCD won an award for best-selling classical music album in Hong Kong, 2015. I listened to some mp3 samples and was intrigued enough to listen to an earlier Chen Leiji recording on Tidal and really enjoyed it:

China: Album of the Prunus Hermitage

Chen Leiji

51TNWTLR8CL.jpg

cover.jpg

Chopin: Études & Allegro de Concert. Masterfully played by Claudio Arrau.

The vintage sound, from a CD rip, is quite good in the Études, less so in the Allegro de Concert.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Thanks. Noticed that the HQCD won an award for best-selling classical music album in Hong Kong, 2015. I listened to some mp3 samples and was intrigued enough to listen to an earlier Chen Leiji recording on Tidal and really enjoyed it:

China: Album of the Prunus Hermitage

Chen Leiji

You're welcome. By the way, the earlier one you found is on Qobuz. On the buy queue now. Turms out it's on the French Ocora label that specializes in field recorded world music, Java, India, Middle East etc. Very interesting. Thanks! In fact, this reminds me--I should have a CD of Tibetan Bön ritual music from this label. Got to go look for it :) Now "Album" of the evening:

Samsara

91enYLMc-EL._SL300_.jpg

Duke_.jpg

The Acoustic Blues & Roots of Duke Robillard

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron