• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ronfint said:

My version is a needle drop I made from the mono LP on Argo. Was the Alhambra still open in 1962? In Nov. of that year I was 16 and won a trip to Chicago. On the first night I snuck out of my hotel room and went to hear Ahmad Jamal play. They didn't want to let me into the club since I was underage, but after the staff relented, I was served coffee and cheescake and listened to Jamal play similar music. There weren't many other customers, and after his set Ahmad Jamal walked over to my table and sat down and talked to me. (He probably didn't have many high school kids as customers.) I don't remember anything about the short conversation, but there were postcards on the tables, and I convinced him to write one to a friend, just to prove I had been there.

Anyway, I am sure you find this album exciting, but it makes me feel old. I find it very dated. (I just listened again.)

5AB72C4F-1F12-4E74-BE43-3BC6E5BE1408.thumb.jpeg.dd336d72a26501a47f443e3d51a454b3.jpeg

Absolutely amazing story. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

From a pure performance point of view, the MTT/SFS Mahler 6 from 2001 (from his renowned cycle) is superior, no question. The latest Mahler 6 is interesting more because it is from his final season at SFS, so has more nostalgic associations.

I so love the diversity of taste in this thread. You guys are listening to Mahler while I listen to Post Malone. Just fantastic stuff all around :~)

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 11.36.16 AM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Just purchased the DSD remaster from the original master tapes at Acoustic Sounds. Fantastic!

"Mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio from the original analog master. DSD file created by Gus Skinas from the original DSD audio used to create the Analogue Productions SACD."

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/98002/Lynyrd_Skynyrd-Second_Helping-DSD_Single_Rate_28MHz64fs_Download

Second Helping.jpg

13 hours ago, austinpop said:

FC00484E-16EB-41F5-80BC-30DD827007F7.jpeg

I can’t overemphasize just how good this first volume of Jordi Savall’s Beethoven cycle is. I keep coming back to it. And what a sumptuous recording. 

Today it’s the Fourth, with a wee drappie of 15 year old Dalwhinnie!

28 pages of liner notes as well. Great stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

As a fan of Imelda May, I don't know why I didn't purchase this album sooner, but that's now rectified and it sounds great in 24/96 from Qobuz. It's very different than her earlier albums, a lot mellower and introspective, less Rockabilly. She has a new album coming out in April as well.

Screenshot from 2021-01-29 14-01-16.png

Listening now. 

P.S. Searching for this one, I was surprised to know a certain shoe collector also has music available on Qobuz. 

IMG_0590.PNG