Who's ready for TajMo?

Attended a fine concert this weekend of Taj Mahal and Keb Mo' performing in Seattle's classical hall, Benaroya. Album came out in May, IIRC

.711-i-yxTOL._SL1200_.jpg

Video clip

http://Taj Mahal & Keb Mo - "She Knows How to Rock Me"

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

Crown Imperial on Reference Recordings 24-bit 176.4kHz HRx wav music files.

2810_f_crown_imperial.jpg

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

okay, ted_b, buying on your recommendation!

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Okay, got it. And it sounds good. Yes you can clearly hear lots of detail.

Interestingly, with an album from 1997 that already seemed to have some volume compression, and an average DR of 7 on the original CD:

the new hi-res shows some additional compression - most songs are DR 6 as opposed to DR 7 in the previous version - but the average for the album is DR 7 also. Not sure how that works, when almost all the individual songs show some added compression.

I find it odd that it was thought to need a big more volume compression for re-release. I guess that's just the audio world we live in....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 6/23/2017 at 10:58 AM, firedog said:

Okay, got it. And it sounds good. Yes you can clearly hear lots of detail.

Interestingly, with an album from 1997 that already seemed to have some volume compression, and an average DR of 7 on the original CD:

the new hi-res shows some additional compression - most songs are DR 6 as opposed to DR 7 in the previous version - but the average for the album is DR 7 also. Not sure how that works, when almost all the individual songs show some added compression.

I find it odd that it was thought to need a big more volume compression for re-release. I guess that's just the audio world we live in....

I tried, no success. New remaster is awful.

Awful?  That's harsh.  To each his own; I find the remaster to be revelatory in the lower level excavating, but agree that the more complex loud passages continue to clip away.  It's likely all they could do, but what they've uncovered is simply wonderful IMHO.

4 hours ago, BacHolz said:

I noticed this featured on the Linn site and took a chance. We have discussed earlier in this thread the permutations and transmogrification that the music of Bach can endure and remain true to the composer’s spirit. For the sake of argument I will offer that only the listener can answer this question for themselves.

I am pleased to have taken a chance on this one.

KUNIKO - Bach: Solo Works for Marimba

C8zLSclUQAA7epb.jpg:large

The acoustics on this recording sound so rich and the mid-bass, wooden timbre of her instrument are a joy to my ears.

From Linn... " The beautiful acoustic of the medieval Jaani Kirik (St John's Church) in Estonia creates the ideal sound space for Kuniko's arrangements."

I got this Kuniko as his fan and a marimba lover and like it, but, even if I'm not a Bach expert I found the "marimba sound" is some kind of strange to me... like laking timbre and midrange richness to which I am accustomed with this instrument.  Maybe difficult to translate due to my poor English...  Marimba overtones (to my ears) are always 'floating and reverberating in the air', not in this recording.

Maybe because the recording place, or my taste only.

Roch