The 4th Symphony has its own special place among all Mahler's symphonies. I try not to miss its new recordings. Not all are equally good, fortunately. Also, every Mahler lover has their own set of reasons for preferring a particular interpretation of a particular symphony. Most likely, the 4th was the very first Mahler symphony I listened to on vinyl many decades ago, and the surprise mixed with delight has remained intact. Czech conductor Jakub Hrůša's version is at the top of the imaginary list these days. A magical performance, all in place in a leisurely unfolding dream. No over-thought or protruding inner conflict, popular in some recent readings. Anna Lucia Richter is very good in the finale.

https://open.qobuz.com/album/blmprfka7d2bb

image.png.1549311c7c643a02338d39ed60e970d4.png

21 hours ago, semente said:

Somewhat brilliant...

0060254786244_600.jpg

That's an understatement....

Maybe my favorite Coltrane album.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 5/2/2022 at 1:24 AM, AnotherSpin said:

The 4th Symphony has its own special place among all Mahler's symphonies. I try not to miss its new recordings. Not all are equally good, fortunately. Also, every Mahler lover has their own set of reasons for preferring a particular interpretation of a particular symphony. Most likely, the 4th was the very first Mahler symphony I listened to on vinyl many decades ago, and the surprise mixed with delight has remained intact. Czech conductor Jakub Hrůša's version is at the top of the imaginary list these days. A magical performance, all in place in a leisurely unfolding dream. No over-thought or protruding inner conflict, popular in some recent readings. Anna Lucia Richter is very good in the finale.

https://open.qobuz.com/album/blmprfka7d2bb

image.png.1549311c7c643a02338d39ed60e970d4.png

This is one of my favorite recordings too!

Jakub Hrůša and Yannick Nézet-Séguin are two current conductors whose Mahler recordings have really impressed me.

12 hours ago, Rexp said:

Great on vinyl, which digital version do you recommend?

I have an SACD rip, which I'm pretty sure is from Analog Productions. Doesn't look like they sell it anymore. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)