IGNORED

Article: Apple Music Lossless, High Resolution, and Dolby Atmos Announced

14 hours ago, firedog said:

The hard core audiophiles will stay with services like Qobuz, Deezer, or Primephonic, who all offer quality hi-res or lossless streaming.

If Apple & Spotify offer a way to stream lossless content to their DACs why would they choose to pay more to access the same content via those services?

I think for Apple this will be lossless in all but name, I don’t see any hardware support for this and building a streamer PC or having a Mac mini with all the control issues will be a non starter.

Plus you real hifi guys will question bit perfect etc, the result will be most of you will stick with Qobuz I assume, Spotify when launched may be different using connect.

Apple are just playing a numbers game here.

Setup:

Lumin D2> Roksan Blak> Focal 806

10 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Why wouldn't I?

Vagaries of onlline purchasing...  Amazon and, I think Apple, have pulled back items people purchased.  Note I am pulling from the dark recesses of my mind but I seem to recall stories but I do not recall specifics.

If Apple makes the music stay in something like iTunes, they will have access.  

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

4 hours ago, katools said:

If Apple & Spotify offer a way to stream lossless content to their DACs why would they choose to pay more to access the same content via those services?

Because they aren't going to offer hi-res in the same way, aren't going to offer full integration with Roon, et. al., and aren't going to offer the same ability to control the PC side (endpoints, drivers, etc) that the "audiophile" services do. Note that I did say "hardcore" 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Well I would like to ensure that I am able to get the highest resolution possible with the least boxes but that doesn’t mean we are any less of any audiophile. In fact Roon and HQP don’t matter to me at all. There is a a big demand for something like Spotify connect that can do the highest res possible and I fall into that category. The app developed by an apple or a Spotify Will any day be more robust than what a 3rd party like Roon can make so we prefer. I guess that’s why we have many services for each of us. 

18 minutes ago, BrownMagic said:

Well I would like to ensure that I am able to get the highest resolution possible with the least boxes but that doesn’t mean we are any less of any audiophile. In fact Roon and HQP don’t matter to me at all. There is a a big demand for something like Spotify connect that can do the highest res possible and I fall into that category. The app developed by an apple or a Spotify Will any day be more robust than what a 3rd party like Roon can make so we prefer. I guess that’s why we have many services for each of us. 

I would absolutely love a "connect" type feature from all services, that could stream the highest resolutions available. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Spotify HiFi Icon Spotted in Mobile App Suggests Imminent Launch

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/18/spotify-lossless-hifi-option-spotted-app/

Most likely Apple won't provide access to their API that could actually enable 3rd party developers to provide any kinda meaningful support for Apple Music, therefore it might seem to be a dead end of some sort?

OTOH, Spotify already did a fantastic job and that's gonna be such a winner and a half IMHO.

37 minutes ago, new_media said:

I believe that this may have happened with Apple Books due to some issues with publishing rights.

But iTunes music purchases don't have DRM like the books do. Once you purchase something from the store, you are welcome to convert it to any format you like, burn it to CD, etc. As long as you make a back up, you effectively own it.

It doesn't sound like they are going to be selling lossless/hi-res files anyway, so I guess it's a moot point.

I thought movies were also an issue where they disappeared from purchased lists.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Where did you find that there might be an additional monthly cost for access to Apple Music Hi-Res audio? The press releases aren't very clear but I was under the impression that all Lossless (Redbook & Hi-Res) would be included in the $10 monthly cost.

Interesting that you can "download" hi-res for offline listening, but not purchase. Wonder what format/encryption will be used to try to prevent play outside of Apple Music.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, KenG said:

Where did you find that there might be an additional monthly cost for access to Apple Music Hi-Res audio? The press releases aren't very clear but I was under the impression that all Lossless (Redbook & Hi-Res) would be included in the $10 monthly cost.

In the press release Apple is clearly making a distinction between Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless. 

"Apple Music’s Lossless tier starts at CD quality, which is 16 bit at 44.1 kHz (kilohertz), and goes up to 24 bit at 48 kHz and is playable natively on Apple devices.

For the true audiophile, Apple Music also offers Hi-Resolution Lossless all the way up to 24 bit at 192 kHz.

Availability

Spatial Audio with support for Dolby Atmos and Lossless Audio will be available to Apple Music subscribers at no additional cost.

Due to the large file sizes and bandwidth needed for Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless Audio, subscribers will need to opt in to the experience. Hi-Res Lossless also requires external equipment, such as a USB digital-to-analog converter (DAC)."

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

In the press release Apple is clearly making a distinction between Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless. 

"Apple Music’s Lossless tier starts at CD quality, which is 16 bit at 44.1 kHz (kilohertz), and goes up to 24 bit at 48 kHz and is playable natively on Apple devices.

For the true audiophile, Apple Music also offers Hi-Resolution Lossless all the way up to 24 bit at 192 kHz.

Availability

Spatial Audio with support for Dolby Atmos and Lossless Audio will be available to Apple Music subscribers at no additional cost.

Due to the large file sizes and bandwidth needed for Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless Audio, subscribers will need to opt in to the experience. Hi-Res Lossless also requires external equipment, such as a USB digital-to-analog converter (DAC)."

Thanks for the response. I didn't really interpret it the same way but you may be right. It isn't the most clear press release and I guess we'll find out the details very soon.

7 hours ago, Marco Klobas said:

Maybe Apple uses FairPlay DRM for streaming. Purchases are DRM free.

Correct. If you download a streaming track from Apple Music, it is protected by FairPlay Version 2 DRM. Tracks purchased from the iTunes Store or downloaded from iTunes Match do not have DRM. I assume lossless/hi-res streaming will use the same system.

Fairplay.png

37 minutes ago, loop7 said:

I sometimes wonder if the streaming industry will eventually run out of enticements for customers.

MQA, lossless, High-res, spatial processing.

What happens then?

Hopefully they'll start competing with quality of files and user experience/ease of use...

No electron left behind.

On 5/18/2021 at 3:27 AM, katools said:

I can't use Apple Music in Roon to stream over my network to my endpoints and to my DAC. I can't purchase Hi-Res tracks from Apple like I can from Qobuz. Etc...

No electron left behind.

On 5/18/2021 at 3:26 PM, AudioDoctor said:

I have been thinking about this and I don't think this service, as it stands right now, is for us. It's for the average Apple user that Apple wants to keep in the Apple ecosystem of services rather than lose them to Spotify. Perhaps in the future it will grow into something to compete with Qobuz for our dollars and match it's integration into the other services we use, like Roon.

Something Apple should of already done years ago in the first place!

Features is one thing they definitely need to improve. Other than that, sadly the video streaming companies may start to buy them out or start their own services to try and put them out of business don’t quite understand why they haven’t already except that it doesn’t make a lot of profit yet and it would suck because what if their video was good but bad on the music side and vice versa,  but may still be an enticement for those customers that want everything in one place. Although Apple and Amazon are closest to doing that. YouTube (Google) is also a possibility but not as close.

7 hours ago, loop7 said:

I sometimes wonder if the streaming industry will eventually run out of enticements for customers.

MQA, lossless, High-res, spatial processing.

What happens then?

Features is one thing they definitely need to improve. Other than that, sadly the video streaming companies may start to buy them out or start their own services to try and put them out of business don’t quite understand why they haven’t already except that it doesn’t make a lot of profit yet and it would suck because what if their video was good but bad on the music side and vice versa,  but may still be an enticement for those customers that want everything in one place. Although Apple and Amazon are closest to doing that. YouTube (Google) is also a possibility but not as close.