IGNORED

Article: Apple Music Lossless, High Resolution, and Dolby Atmos Announced

35 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have mixed feelings about this, however if we can't use it in a way we want to with our systems, are locked into using Apple Music to stream it, and are unable to purchase/download Hi-Res, I fail to see any reason at all to use it.

Yes, if it's just tied to Apple Music and Sonos type products, then it isn't for many in this niche. However, it's a great thing overall that the biggest players in the market are offering it and it can only help people gain exposure to higher quality. If 0.0005 percent of people drift over to HiFi, our niche is looking really good. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

45 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes, if it's just tied to Apple Music and Sonos type products, then it isn't for many in this niche. However, it's a great thing overall that the biggest players in the market are offering it and it can only help people gain exposure to higher quality. If 0.0005 percent of people drift over to HiFi, our niche is looking really good. 

If Apple locks it into their own ecosystem then what real benefit will there be unless they increase the quality of their equipment significantly. 24/192 through a HomePod will still suck.

No electron left behind.

So this seems to imply that if you ever purchased music from Apple, it's now downloadable as ALAC? Is that how y'all read this, too? Very cool, if true.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

14 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

If Apple locks it into their own ecosystem then what real benefit will there be unless they increase the quality of their equipment significantly. 24/192 through a HomePod will still suck.

Hmm. The footnote mentions to play higher than 44.1/48kHz, the defacto for Bluetooth,  an external DAC is necessary, which also means it will show up in Audio Midi for example and Apple will play to it. Guess that the Apple music program will detect the DAC and play to it, but how does it know that it's a Dolby atmos capable for example. This is the domain of network AV receivers which have protocols already built in, big audience.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

"Apple has confirmed to The Verge that lossless audio is exclusive to Apple Music and thus subscription-only. The company won’t offer music purchases in lossless quality, nor will there be any way to upgrade owned tracks to lossless with the paid iTunes Match service."

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/17/22440090/apple-music-lossless-audio-dolby-atmos-support-audio

No electron left behind.

7 hours ago, Ran said:

Hopefully Apple will provide an open API so application developers can integrate this service.

I will be surprised if they do that. They tend to control the entire experience but I would love to them open things up.

10 minutes ago, ChipotleCoyote said:

I am pretty sure if Apple were supporting MQA they would be contractually obligated to use the bolded phrase Master Quality Authenticated® at least three times in every press release.

There are some labels that have slipped MQA files in to Qobuz, maybe someone with a set up that can stream lossless right now can find a 2L label album on Apple Music and see if the MQA light illuminates.

No electron left behind.

37 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

There are some labels that have slipped MQA files in to Qobuz, maybe someone with a set up that can stream lossless right now can find a 2L label album on Apple Music and see if the MQA light illuminates.

When this rolls out, I'll give it a try. (They said "coming in June," so it's all still AAC for now.)

Life was so much cheaper when I couldn't hear a difference between these things.

3 minutes ago, ChipotleCoyote said:

When this rolls out, I'll give it a try. (They said "coming in June," so it's all still AAC for now.)

Yeah, I noticed. I went looking for the activation stuff, and even though my phone is on the Beta its not there yet. I can find no way to get it done on a Mac, either online or in the settings of Music.

No electron left behind.

3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Yes. The biggest disappointment to me is that they don't allow the purchase of Hi Res music.

Even if you bought it would you actually own it?

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers