IGNORED

Afterdark Master Clock for Uptone EtherRegen

9 hours ago, AfterDark. said:

We have some audiophile reviews of different BNC Cable, it is worth to compare. 

Thanks Adrian - will check it out

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

41 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

Thank you for your feedback @richard_crl032

Will also check out the Canare

Hi Frank,

Detailed specifications are here:

https://www.canare.co.jp/en/products/cables/index.php?tid=4_010_uc

L-5.5cuhd were bought Yen2000/usd20 from here via Sendico:

https://www.soundhouse.co.jp/products/detail/item/239127/

Cheers.

Screenshot_20220129-195854_Chrome.jpg

images.jpeg

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

Can anyone confirm it is ok to hot swap BNC cables or do you have to power down the devices first?

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

2 hours ago, FrankMA said:

Can anyone confirm it is ok to hot swap BNC cables or do you have to power down the devices first?

A long time ago, I did a hot swap of the clock cable between the eR and Cybershaft, but can't remember if I powered the eR off and on to recognize the clock...

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

You should be fine hot-swapping the BNC cable for the time pulse. Usually it is galvanic isolated in one or both ends (sender (clock)-receiver (dac, music streamer, Digital Interface))

The only digital transmission type that is NOT hot-swappable is I2S, most often in HDMI but also RJ45 and other connectors are used.

/Jan

• AfterDark. changed the title to Afterdark Master Clock for Uptone EtherRegen
11 hours ago, FrankMA said:

Hi Frank,

You cannot when used with ER .. once clock signal is lost, the ER will not work even if reconnected when you had selected eternal clock. 

You have to switch off/on the ER with the clock signal present for ER to work.

Cheers.

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

Hello - thanks everyone for the BNC cable/hot swap advice

One other thing I noticed with my clock. This material was attached on the bottom:

Did anyone else with this clock have this? Looks unfinished to me or it could have some important/specific purpose. I have not removed to see what is under it

Maybe Adrian can comment

IMG_0900.jpeg

12 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

Hello - thanks everyone for the BNC cable/hot swap advice

One other thing I noticed with my clock. This material was attached on the bottom:

Did anyone else with this clock have this? Looks unfinished to me or it could have some important/specific purpose. I have not removed to see what is under it

Maybe Adrian can comment

IMG_0900.jpeg

Hi Frank

Nothing underneath there I believe .. just soundproof damping material with the idea to also damp vibration of the enclosure. 

Not sure when or how effective but perhaps mu metal will be next possible mods for ER, clock and LPS enclosure like in the enclosure of my stock Bel Canto FM-1 tuner 😊

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=mumetal

Cheers.

Screenshot_20220130-194614_Chrome.jpg

22 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

You must be joking. You can’t repair a sealed unit, like the OCXO is. If you look inside, that’s basically what you find. And you can’t destroy it by open the case. 
You can possibly rip off that cable he uses inside the box. Easy to solder back on. 

Aaah .. leave all the mentioned damping material, leather etc. applied to the oxco as is that is seen in my AD emperor double crown clock but use whatever paste between them and this proposed tungsten block and not directly onto the clock like the China clock without them ?  I must hv been confused and my apology but I am not joking.

Adrian is here and can advise I guess.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, sakso136 said:

Deleted .. oops I should not comment on other clocks on AD's sponsored thread. With apology.

6 hours ago, R1200CL said:

@richard_crl032

I was more thinking the tungsten block as an alternative to what Adrian is covering his clock with. The tungsten ought to be fare more efficient. It remains to to how many will try and report back.

As a start one could remove it, (only inside), and test if any changes appear. 

If a paste is needed or preferred, I would use same as on computer processors. Optional double sided tape, or just nothing. I may reuse AD material. Cut in two or three, and use it on the sides and just tape around. Just to keep the tungsten block in place. 
However the clock shouldn’t be to much isolated, so don’t try use any isolating material, in order to keep the clock warm. 

660133AC-1526-4DE9-B3AF-C13FF2438AA8.jpeg

D4B615CC-4B7C-40E8-A1E0-E9DFD5BFE0E7.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow ... nice and neat on the china clock to experiment with especially since inexpensive to do so ! 😍

For my much much more expensive AD clock with already installed damping solution, I will hesitate with the mod since I have no equipment to measure against the nicely already provided test report if indeed any improvement made or worse still deterioration in addition to warranty concern or resale value.

Do try the less destructive Mu metal mod in addition if indeed helps in sound quality to advise if possible 🙏🙏

Thanks and cheers.

5 hours ago, AfterDark. said:

So the stabilisation of OCXO cannot be achieved.  

Hi Adrian

You have a valid point. That said, we may discuss what’s worst, my tungsten vs your isolation material 😀

Here is what John has said about the subject in general. 

Why did you delete my posts ?

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/62228-group-buy-tungsten-5x5x1-cm-for-your-bg7btl-clock/#comment-1114199

• 1 month later...

Hi! 

We have received some positive feedback with cutomer using the Queen Square Wave SE edition for EtherREGEN.

160762110_GiesemannOCXOClock-Queen.thumb.png.12b68208519c6cb619806cdbaf37c70d.png

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

I just bought a secondhand Emperor Signature and ordered an AD LPS from Frank Smith in Boston. The LPS should arrive in a few days.

I have a quick question.  The easiest way to set up the clock/LPS near the EtherRegen is to stack one of them atop the other.  I do not like to stack equipment, but there isn't sufficient extra space on the shelf to have them next to one another.  If I must stack the clock and LPS units, which one should be on the top?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

20 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

I just bought a secondhand Emperor Signature and ordered an AD LPS from Frank Smith in Boston. The LPS should arrive in a few days.

I have a quick question.  The easiest way to set up the clock/LPS near the EtherRegen is to stack one of them atop the other.  I do not like to stack equipment, but there isn't sufficient extra space on the shelf to have them next to one another.  If I must stack the clock and LPS units, which one should be on the top?

Whichever one runs hotter.

4 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Whichever one runs hotter.

Sure!  But I guess that’s what I am asking. 🤪

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Mike,

I have used them side by side and for the last six months, staked, PS on top. I didn’t noticed any change in sound quality doing that. However, power and clock cable used on them impact the sound. PS is the one that generate a little heat so that way I am using on top avoiding interfering with the clock temperature. Maybe Adrian can give you additional advice.

Regards

1 hour ago, Carlos E said:

Mike,

I have used them side by side and for the last six months, staked, PS on top. I didn’t noticed any change in sound quality doing that. However, power and clock cable used on them impact the sound. PS is the one that generate a little heat so that way I am using on top avoiding interfering with the clock temperature. Maybe Adrian can give you additional advice.

Regards

Thanks, Carlos!

Hi! Mike,

Thanks for your message. 

The AfterDark. Giesemann clock is fine to position anywhere which is aways from vibiration. So, it will be fine to place in side the shalf, with LPS at the top. We have one customer share the positive feedback with us.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

1402212873_thumbnail_Screenshot2022-03-08Queen.thumb.png.7eecf2764e7d22a154e1d22c149d0d8e.png

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

Thanks for confirming, Adrian.