IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

4 hours ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Hello.

Today I tried to use my LPS-1.2 to power the BG7BTL and had an error. I believe others have used this combination without problem so I'm wondering what might be wrong?

The LPS-1.2 is set to 12V, powered by the supplied Uptone SMPS, connected to the BG7BTL thru a Ghent DC cable. Upon turning on the LPS the led goes from red to orange and when it wants to turn green the power and alarm leds on the BG7BTL blink briefly and go off and the led on LPS blinks red, and this cycle continues for as long as keep the LPS on. The BG7BTL output wasn't connected, if that makes a difference. 

Why might this be happening? 

Hi! 

Please tell you what OCXO is installed in your clock?

The fact is that the previous clock had DAPU installed first, then FE180, then Symmetricom. In all cases, their maximum consumption current did not exceed 0.5 A at 12 V (according to datasheet, Symmetricom 159-00057-00 is not known, but rather the same because it's a analog of morion MV200).

2 hours ago, LewinskiH01 said:

It's interesting others with BG7BTL with Symmetricom ocxo and LPS-1.2 didn't have this issue.

LPS-1.2 1.1A is more than enough to power Symmertricom with their 12V and 0.55A. Perhaps this is about the LPS-1.2 microprocessor working properly?

Symmetricom

All parameters are the same as MV200.

http://www.morion.com.ru/catalog_pdf/MV200-OCXO.pdf

Volume 50*50*12mm

12V power supply, with voltage control pin, reference voltage output 5V.

This crystal oscillator is made by Morion for Symmetricom, and the main body is MV200 produced by Morion.

This crystal oscillator has the advantages of low phase noise and good stability. It's a very rare piece of material.

Correct link to parameters of MV200.

On 8/23/2021 at 6:56 PM, R1200CL said:

I recommend you not to purchase the AfterDark 3 output clock. And no square wave clock from him. Only sine wave. Then it’s better with 2 clocks, or even start with a splitter. I’m using splitter.

Hi R1200CL,

Please advise how you are using the splitter from single AD clock to ensure not breaking the moat as well as the 50ohm and 75ohm mismatch if you are not only custom 50ohm ER.

Many thanks in advance.

I got weak again and acquired another ER to hv one before my Antipodes CX used as server and one before the Antipodes ex being used as a reader but only having one AD double emperor clock.

Cheers.

Richard

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

23 minutes ago, richard_crl032 said:

Please advise how you are using the splitter from single AD clock to ensure not breaking the moat as well as the 50ohm and 75ohm mismatch if you are not only custom 50ohm ER.

955279DF-C40B-47F3-BF8D-6FAB575D3A16.thumb.jpeg.530e2e024191d3264bd4d12e32d9df81.jpeg

It can be discussed if I’m braking the moat or not. Hopefully not as I’m using both fiber and isolating power supplies from Uptone. 

The EtherRegen is 75 ohm. Clock, splitter and SU-2 is 50 ohm. I’m not using the Mini Circuits adapter. I think I had some problems when using it. This impedance miss match isn’t a issue I think. 

I hope you did order the 50 ohm EtherRegen then ?

On 8/29/2021 at 8:37 PM, R1200CL said:

I hope you did order the 50 ohm EtherRegen then ?

Hi R1200CL,

I did not .. 1st unit is 75ohm and so is the 2nd unit.

Cheers.

Richard

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

On 8/28/2021 at 8:01 PM, LewinskiH01 said:

@Superdad

Thank you!

I will leave the clock on overnight and try tomorrow with LPS...hoping a warm clock doesn't demand as much current...unlikely to work, but it's cheap to try.

@Mihaylov

It worked! I left the BG7BTL on with the supplied SMPS overnight then removed the SMPS and connected the LPS 1.2 and the BG7BTL turned on. Left it on for a week so to be certain no stabilization issues were affecting the sound.

Then I tried:

a) LPS 1.2 feeding BG7BTL thru Ghent DC-GAC4 and ET07 BNC 75 ohm into eR, and eR fed by Uptone SMPS, vs.

b) LPS-1.2 feeding eR thru DC-GAC4.

I'm preferring b). More details, definition, across the frequency range. With the BG7BTL it is mellower which isn't bad with some recordings, but I think I loose definition. And cleaner rack.

My system is in flux, especially my DIY speakers, so I'm thinking the edginess might be more about the current speaker prototype. The AMT tweeters are quite revealing and so are the mids. 

FWIW my BG7BTL only has square signals...I purchased it right before John's paper was out...oh well.

As MartinT said, at the cost of this clock it was an experiment worth doing. Just didn't pan out for me :)

8 minutes ago, FIndingit said:

Looks like you believe dac is the least important link in the chain. 😁

Not at all, but the performance you get from your DAC completely depends on the quality of the datastream you give it.  Reducing phase noise and jitter are paramount.  Thus the reclockers and grounding boxes.

Saying that, my new Gustard is an outstanding DAC, very high quality indeed.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

This is a very impressive system but I am left to wonder if maximizing use of LPS and clocks is a better path to better sq than using the funds to upgrade the ultra Rendu and Dac?  I would think a better Dac and streamer, like an optical rendu, would be an improvement without all the clocks and LPS and extra cables.

1 hour ago, dylanesque said:

Curious if you found perceptible differences with a King vs Emperor at the Mutec?

Yes, I did, as I bought the King first to use with the Mutec.  I then ran my BG7TBL with the ER.  Upgrading the King to Emperor Triple Crown gave noticeably more of what clocks do: soundstage, timing, detail.  I then relegated the King to use with the ER.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

@MartinT

I am no fortune teller but I see a third clock or a triple output clock in your future :-)

After all you don't want the Gustard to feel left out...

Any special reason you have your TP link on the P10?

I believe there is enough separation and isolation in your chain, but it does look as if after all the the dirtiest component has the shortest path to the amplifier (maybe this even shorts the ER moat??)

I've already tested splitting the Emperor clock using a Mini-Circuits splitter and feeding 10MHz into the Gustard.  It's very good, but then the Gustard's K2 internal clock is also very good.  I think the AD wins but there is very little in it.

The router is on the P10 (but a separate Zone from the power amp) because I'm using all the outputs on the P3, and those components are more critical.  I've tried the router on straight power without the regenerator, but the system sounds better with it on the P10 and being powered with an LPSU.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, aubreybobb said:

clocking from the same unit 

breaks not only the moat in the ER, but also makes it pointless to use the ethernet interface at all (twisted pair or optics all the same) since it deprives ethernet of its main advantage, namely galvanic device isolation. Be very careful in the network configuration so as not to break the galvanic isolation and use a separate clock for each device on the local network, then it will be sufficient one switch instead of several.