IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

17 hours ago, Mihaylov said:

breaks not only the moat in the ER, but also makes it pointless to use the ethernet interface at all (twisted pair or optics all the same) since it deprives ethernet of its main advantage, namely galvanic device isolation. Be very careful in the network configuration so as not to break the galvanic isolation and use a separate clock for each device on the local network, then it will be sufficient one switch instead of several.

Further to this @Mihaylov, is this true (i.e compromising the moat) even if the clock in context has “Galvanically isolated outputs” to feed devices on the same network. 

e.g Ref 10

41 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

The SMPS distinction is important. The leakage current from SMPS and linear supplies is quite different (I'm not going into detail here, I've written a lot about this in other places), it is the SMPS type that goes through most high frequency transformers. The leakage from linear supplies DOES get blocked by these transformers.

John S.

Does a dedicated electrical line for one's setup provide leakage current protection from all the other lines that meet at the circuit breaker panel box?  I can understand why reducing/eliminating SMPS supplies on the same dedicated line would be beneficial, but wonder about whether the fact that everything joins at the panel box means the dedicated circuit is not complete protection from SMPS in other places in the home.

Thanks.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

26 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Look at the right side of the board, there is a vertical line of red cubes (those are capacitors), just to the right of each cube looks like a toroid core with wiring, I presume those are the transformers.

John S.

Sorry, zooming in it just looks like components on the board. They could just be using the caps, in which case the grounds are probably connects, but they might have something else in there.

John S.

5 hours ago, aubreybobb said:

Hi John, 

I'm a newbie in this forum - 2 ER switch's and one Sotm in a cascade from router and NAS to dCS streamer.  Streamer direct to active digital speakers.  The SOTM/ER connection is with a Finnisar/glass connection and the two ER's are with copper.   Its a nuisance turning this around so that the fibre would be between the two ER's, but I will try it if you think its a good idea and can spare the time to guide me. 

I'm definitely not John, but it seems to me that since use already use fiber before the eRs, it is fine to use copper between the two eRs (meaning, you already have galvanic isolation implemented and there is nothing to be gained).  I no longer use fiber, but connecting the two eRs with copper works well for me.

Regarding grounding:  You might want to experiment with grounding.  Easier to do and makes a difference.  However, if it already sounds great, you most likely have it optimized.

Regarding the clock:  As you know, it takes a month to stabilize; however, if it sounds great, you probably have it right.  

I don't think anyone will be able to tell you exactly how to connect all this stuff -- too many variables -- and trusting your ears is the way to go.  

Have fun.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

10 hours ago, aubreybobb said:

after reading a few of the above messages regarding breaking the moat, I decided to remove the clock connection (double emperor dCS version - 2 x word clock and 4 x 10M out) from one ER.  The drop in SQ was dismaying. 

Should have disconnected the clock from Sotm because it stands on a "muddy" bank to the ER.

On 6/11/2020 at 10:27 AM, JohnSwenson said:

There ARE some ways to convert sinewaves into square waves, but the simple ways actually increase the noise on the signal making the jitter even worse.

Is this way simple?

On 10/7/2021 at 7:10 PM, Mihaylov said:

All network devices before the ER moat must not share electrical ground with the network devices after the ER moat otherwise the moat will be destroyed with all the resulting consequences for sound. The clock outputs share a common electric ground, so simultaneously connecting one output of the clock to the Sotm and the second to the ER connects the electric grounds of the Sotm and ER ("clean" side, because the clock plugs to the ER on the "clean" side after the moat).

Does this mean the power supply circuits should be different before and after ER moat? Or the network devices can be powered from the same power distributor sharing the ground? 

Emm Labs NS1, Emm Labs DV2, Trusov AMP ( AB class 400 watt into 8 ohm), Vandersteen 5a Carbon, Dyrholm Vision series cables XLR and power cords, meitner speaker cables,  etheregen, 2* Farad super3 with purple SR fuses, AfterDark double Crown, RAL RJ45

1 hour ago, Rasputin said:

Does this mean the power supply circuits should be different before and after ER moat?

The circuits (PCB)can be equal on all power supplies You just need enough power supplies 😉

But the power supplies can share the same circuit breaker, if that’s what you’re asking. 

1 hour ago, Rasputin said:

the network devices can be powered from the same power distributor sharing the ground? 

Your house has same ground plane all over. Hopefully. So yes, the power supplies itself can and ought to have same ground plane. Preferably from same circuit breaker. You shouldn’t ground or connect devices together. Especially if the devices is on different side of the moat. 

Which is interesting if you ground dual EtherRegen in a A>B>A>B together 🤪(Don’t). 

If this theme isn’t clear to you, please draw an example.

Thanks, clear now;) I might try to float the ground for regen and the streamer that is connected to the dac optically and let the rest of the system be grounded, would it be theoretically better? 

Emm Labs NS1, Emm Labs DV2, Trusov AMP ( AB class 400 watt into 8 ohm), Vandersteen 5a Carbon, Dyrholm Vision series cables XLR and power cords, meitner speaker cables,  etheregen, 2* Farad super3 with purple SR fuses, AfterDark double Crown, RAL RJ45

14 hours ago, Rasputin said:

Or the network devices can be powered from the same power distributor sharing the ground? 

Yes, they can. It's not so much about grounding the power grid as it is about the electrical ground (common bus) circuitry of devices on the network, including their power supplies. (I hope it's spelled correctly in English).

10 hours ago, Rasputin said:

Thanks, clear now;) I might try to float the ground for regen and the streamer that is connected to the dac optically and let the rest of the system be grounded, would it be theoretically better? 

Can you draw a simple sketch ?

What is the Farad powering ?

Please also read the user guide for EtherRegen regarding the ground screw if that’s what you’re asking. 
What is your streamer and how is it powered ? And how is your BG7TBL powered ?

How shall we understand that the ground is floating for the EtherRegen? (In your case).