IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

I have 2 ERs daisy-changed going a>b>a>b fed by 2 seperate Super3s. As a test, I have attached a BG7TBL (fed by its own LPS) to the second ER. Will it brake the moat, if connect a second output of the BG7TBL to the second ER? If yes, would there be any kind of difference, if I would run a>b>b>a?

36 minutes ago, Oggo said:

Will it brake the moat, if connect a second output of the BG7TBL to the second ER?

(I assume you men first EtherRegen).
You will probably break the last EtherRegen moat, as you “short” the moat from first EtherRegen B side to the second EtherRegen B side. But if that matters is another question. 

36 minutes ago, Oggo said:

If yes, would there be any kind of difference, if I would run a>b>b>a?

Yes, cause both B sides is on same “domain”, so there isn’t any moat to break. 

However my experience is that reverse the EtherRegen isn’t a good solution, as the moat degrades the phase noise. 

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

(I assume you men first EtherRegen).

Yes. First ER.

However my experience is that reverse the EtherRegen isn’t a good solution, as the moat degrades the phase noise. 

How would you go (abab, abba)? Separate clocks for both ERs? Stay with internal clocks?

50 minutes ago, Oggo said:

How would you go (abab, abba)? Separate clocks for both ERs? Stay with internal clocks?

Not knowing your endpoint, I would do ABAB, and probably only external clock last EtherRegen. 

So far I haven’t seen anyone posting about clocking each EtherRegen with separate clocks. But of cause, one can do, but it’s starting to get expensive. I suggest you purchase one AfterDark King 50 ohm, for your second EtherRegen. And have him add one of his stiff 50 ohm clock cables. 

Experiment with the BG7TBL on the first one. 

I have 2 ER and 1 SOTM switch in series with a dCS Network Bridge..  They all benefited hugely from external clocking.  They are all clocked off a single double emperor dCS version. 

The critical issue for me was the clock cables.  When I upgraded to custom clock cables from Aurealis (real world prices) the improvement was almost as much as the clock itself. The slightly negative effect of breaking the moat is swamped by the huge impact of the cables

I do ab ba because I need 2 outputs - audio and video.  

Best wishes

25 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Not knowing your endpoint, I would do ABAB, and probably only external clock last EtherRegen. 

My setup is ABAB with the second (last) eR using an external clock.  Two separate LPSs, as you have it, is an optimal setup.    I'm really enjoying the result.  

Since my clock only has one output, I couldn't experiment with adding a clock signal to the first eR, but since you do have a second output, it is worth trying.  In my setup, the clock cable makes a significant difference and took a month to settle in.  Also, my clock took a month to stabilize.  If your setup reacts in a similar way, a quick change may not give you the answer you want.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

32 minutes ago, PYP said:

My setup is ABAB with the second (last) eR using an external clock.  Two separate LPSs, as you have it, is an optimal setup.    I'm really enjoying the result.  

Since my clock only has one output, I couldn't experiment with adding a clock signal to the first eR, but since you do have a second output, it is worth trying.  In my setup, the clock cable makes a significant difference and took a month to settle in.  Also, my clock took a month to stabilize.  If your setup reacts in a similar way, a quick change may not give you the answer you want.  

Interesting. Do you think the 1-month stabilization had to do with breaking in or with temperature? I might have reacted too soon.

I have two eR ab-ab, 1st one with the supplied SMPS, the 2nd with LPS-1.2 both fed from a balanced power conditioner.

I tried the BG7BTL with stock SMPS: left it on for 3 days, then connected it to the 2nd eR and listened. Couldn't perceive any difference so I removed the BG7BTL. Maybe I didn't let it break in enough? 

FWIW my BG7BTL has only square wave outputs, purchased right before John made his paper public, so I kind of figured what I was (not) hearing was in line with his paper.

2 hours ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Interesting. Do you think the 1-month stabilization had to do with breaking in or with temperature? I might have reacted too soon.

I have two eR ab-ab, 1st one with the supplied SMPS, the 2nd with LPS-1.2 both fed from a balanced power conditioner.

I tried the BG7BTL with stock SMPS: left it on for 3 days, then connected it to the 2nd eR and listened. Couldn't perceive any difference so I removed the BG7BTL. Maybe I didn't let it break in enough? 

FWIW my BG7BTL has only square wave outputs, purchased right before John made his paper public, so I kind of figured what I was (not) hearing was in line with his paper.

I believe the stabilization of the clock is temperature related.  My only familiarity with clocks is with the Cybershaft, which is a very well-designed and well-implemented clock and one I can recommend (not inexpensive, however).  Improvement was heard before the 30-day period, but it improved significantly over time and then didn't change.  The final result was a significant improvement in musicality when used with a quality LPS (UpTone JS-2 is perfect) and especially when used with a quality clock cable.  I tried the filter John recommended for sine wave clocks and it worked well with a middling clock cable but wasn't needed with a very good cable (in fact, sounded better without the filter).   

The kind of inexpensive SMPS included with some gear never works well in my setup.  Even with two eRs, substituting a LPS for the included SMPS made major improvements as well as providing consistency.  With the SMPS, sometimes my setup would sound fine and then it wouldn't.  Not sure why.  A quality LPS doesn't cause that inconsistency, the high frequencies are always improved (well, all frequencies are better but my brain insists it can hear SMPS noise in the high frequencies) and there is more body to the music.  

I would think that three days is sufficient time to hear whether a clock makes a difference.   Seems to me you have already assessed whether that clock works in your setup and the answer appears to be no.  John did mention that some of those clocks measure better than others, therefore it is just chance if you get one that sounds good.  The Cybershaft and AD clocks are NOT like that since the manufacturers measure various clocks and choose only the ones that meet their standards.  That process takes skill and time, both reflected in the cost.  The clock is also sensitive to vibration, so a good case that is designed for the purpose is essential.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

I have just compared my BG7TBL (with 3 square wave 75 ohm outputs) feeding 2 ERs (2 clock cables from 2 outputs) to feeding just the last of the 2 ERs (1 clock cable):

The second option gave better results. Sound had more depth and body. Highs were cleaner. Bass had more texture.

14 hours ago, Oggo said:

I have just compared my BG7TBL (with 3 square wave 75 ohm outputs) feeding 2 ERs (2 clock cables from 2 outputs) to feeding just the last of the 2 ERs (1 clock cable):

The second option gave better results. Sound had more depth and body. Highs were cleaner. Bass had more texture.

I had a similar experience when using basic Belden and Vandamme cables.   I switched to Dueland custom cables from Aurealis (real world prices), at the suggestion of MattyW and voila!, huge improvement with both ER's being fed from the clock (double emperor).   The improvement was in spite of breaking the moat.

Hi guys,

Please excuse my ignorance,but what doest jt mean braking the moAt on ER?

my set up is: edge routerx copper into wall---vodka aq --- optical module/ ifi ps---fiber ------ ER side A/ifi ps 12v into dxp ps 9v output---- side B of ER ---- sablon copper --- server.

Am i braking the moat?

Thks

5 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

No, cause the EtherRegen isn’t sharing its PS with anything and you’re also doing A>B, and you’re not using an external clock. 

Why don’t you use the EtherRegen at your endpoint ?

Thks alot!

I also have su1 feeding my dac wich i m planning to replace by su2 and planning also to buy a clock to feed both ER and su2.. is it going to brake the moat ,and is it a good idea?

2 hours ago, sakso136 said:

Thks alot!

I also have su1 feeding my dac wich i m planning to replace by su2 and planning also to buy a clock to feed both ER and su2.. is it going to brake the moat ,and is it a good idea?

The SU-2 is nice. I have it myself with external clocking. 

The SU-2 has its own LPS. So there won’t be any loops going that way. 

Are you planning to use a 50 ohm splitter? And an AfterDark clock. 

This is what I’m doing.

But I don’t understand your network, cause presently your EtherRegen is going to a server and not an endpoint. So where is the SU-2 going to be ? Are you purchasing a second EtherRegen ? Or you have two already?

Buy 50 option, as both SU-2 and the Cybershaft splitter is 50 ohm. 

Yes, in theory you will wave some sort of possible unwanted loop via Y-splitted clock cable, but it may not be an issue at all. 

955279DF-C40B-47F3-BF8D-6FAB575D3A16.thumb.jpeg.530e2e024191d3264bd4d12e32d9df81.jpeg

My network:

Edge router x then via copper( in wall) --- wall ethernet ---- vodka aq ------OM powered by ifi 5 v -------fiber------ ER SIDE A------ sablon copper----server----- usb---- su1----coax---- dac 

My plan is su2 instead of su1 in order to receive clock input.

Clock choice between ref10 or AD emperor 3 output.

So either clock will feed seperately ER nd su2 

; )

3 hours ago, sakso136 said:

My network:

Edge router x then via copper( in wall) --- wall ethernet ---- vodka aq ------OM powered by ifi 5 v -------fiber------ ER SIDE A------ sablon copper----server----- usb---- su1----coax---- dac 

My plan is su2 instead of su1 in order to receive clock input.

Clock choice between ref10 or AD emperor 3 output.

So either clock will feed seperately ER nd su2 

; )

I like to suggest to you adding a endpoint with the EtherRegen before it. Try to isolate the server from the DAC. 

A external clock will lift the SQ on the SU-2. 

If you like to add a clock as suggested, I think you must have the Ref10 with isolated outputs. Or two AfterDark clocks. 

23 hours ago, Oggo said:

Interesting. I also have two eRs and that same BG7BTL and had different results. What PSUs are you using for the eRs and BG7BTL? Which digital cable do you use? No mini-circuits filter, right?

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I like to suggest to you adding a endpoint with the EtherRegen before it. Try to isolate the server from the DAC. 

A external clock will lift the SQ on the SU-2. 

If you like to add a clock as suggested, I think you must have the Ref10 with isolated outputs. Or two AfterDark clocks. 

Thks for the reply.

I hear you on everything except the  server isolation from dac 

The server feed by usb xe the su1 ( or su2) wich reclock and feed the dac via coax .

What do you suggest as endpoint and ER before it ? 

4 hours ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Interesting. I also have two eRs and that same BG7BTL and had different results. What PSUs are you using for the eRs and BG7BTL? Which digital cable do you use? No mini-circuits filter, right?

Zerozone r-core LPS on BG7BTL (with Blue Jean cables), 2 separate Farad Super3s on the two ERs with Gotham JSSG360 DC-cables from Ghent Audio. No filters, as my BG7BTL is 75 ohm square wave only. 

4 hours ago, Oggo said:

Zerozone r-core LPS on BG7BTL (with Blue Jean cables), 2 separate Farad Super3s on the two ERs with Gotham JSSG360 DC-cables from Ghent Audio. No filters, as my BG7BTL is 75 ohm square wave only. 

Thank you.

Must be the LPS on the BG7BTL making a difference. My 2nd eR has LPS-1.2 and the same Ghent Gotham DC cable as you, my digital cable is a Ghent 75 ohm BNC, and my BG7BTL is also 75 ohm and only square waves.