IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

Wow!

You are quick

Wonder what 2 cubes could do 😉

waiting to hear your update on this

By the way, I believe epoxy would do just fine, but you could also apply thermal paste or double sided thermal stickers. These are commonly used to attach heat sinks to electronic components 

thanks!

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

A modification for my OXCO master clock.  This was suggested in the thread above by @GMG.  The idea is to bond a cube of tungsten directly to the top of the Chinese oven-controlled clock module inside the BG7TBL.

I ordered a 20mm cube of tungsten on eBay and it arrived this morning.  I used 2-part epoxy to tightly bond it to the top of the DAPU OCXO can.  It didn't take long to harden as the clock runs at about 70°C.

It should provide two benefits: 1) vibration damping of the sensitive OCXO by dint of its heaviness; 2) temperature stability once the cube comes up to temperature, helping to prevent temperature variance distortions.

spacer.png

I've just had a listen to two tracks and my immediate impression is that dynamic transients have even more snap to them.  Donald Fagen's Nightfly and Kamakiriad are outstanding recordings and sounded pretty damned good, even cleaner than I remember and with outstanding starting and stopping of transients.

I'm leaving things to fully stabilise and will have another listen later this evening.

Could you provide a link to where you sourced the tungsten cube.  Thanks

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

If it wasn't for this Forum I wouldn't have my nice new BG7TBL Clock so please let me say a thank you to everyone!

I plan to line the case of my BG7TBL Clock with 1/4" Neoprene for insulation in order to try and keep the clock temperature as stable as possible but I haven't researched and purchased the right glue yet.

My goto for mass damping is to use a granite sample piece with some Herbies Fat Dots glued on as feet using Permatex Gasket Sealer.

In the meantime,  having ordered some more Herbies Fat Dots and while I also await some Herbies Tenderfeet to put on the bottom of the Clock, I am using 1/4" Neoprene beneath as well as on top of the clock and I have placed a 4"x4"x1" Granite sample piece on top of the neoprene.

1107201519_HDR.jpg

Intel NUC 8i7BEH (Roon Rock) --> M1 Mac Mini (HQPlayer) --> English Electric 8 Switch --> Sonore Optical Module --> Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Giesemann Emperor Double Crown Clock --> Holo Audio Red (NAA)  --> Holo Audio May KTE DAC --> Holo Audio Serene Preamp --> JL Audio CR-1 Crossover --> [ (Parasound JC 1+ Monoblocks --> Monitor Audio Platinum PL 300 II Speakers) + JL Audio f113v2 Subwoofer ]

2 hours ago, GMG said:

Wonder what 2 cubes could do 😉believe epoxy would do just fine, but you could also apply thermal paste or double sided thermal stickers. These are commonly used to attach heat sinks to electronic components.

I do have double-sided thermal tape, but I didn't want it to be a lossy coupling, so I used epoxy. This way the cube has the full resonance damping effect.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

I have no experience with thermal paste/glue so can’t say anything about its mechanical coupling in regards to resonance, where epoxy is definitely good,

But, epoxy has poor thermal conductivity. So heat will not travel efficiently through the epoxy to the Tubgsten cube. 
I don’t think it is an issue here since the you probably used a very thin layer of epoxy, plus the cube is very small so even if it does create a thermal deficiency it will be small and the oxco likes it warm anyway 🙂
I will definitely add one to mine

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

1 hour ago, GMG said:

But, epoxy has poor thermal conductivity. So heat will not travel efficiently through the epoxy to the Tubgsten cube. 
I don’t think it is an issue here since the you probably used a very thin layer of epoxy, plus the cube is very small so even if it does create a thermal deficiency it will be small and the oxco likes it warm anyway 🙂.

Yes, I used a very thin layer of epoxy and squeezed it down, ensuring that the thermal barrier is thin.

7 minutes ago, FIndingit said:

Think of the ocxo as you when you go out on a cold day. You want insulation, a warm jacket, not a piece of metal glued to your chest. 

If you could do such a thing, sure you'd be cold while you're warming up the piece of metal.  However, once you and the metal have thermal equilibrium, it would protect you by supplying heat back through any sudden cold snap.

Thermal stability.

1 hour ago, FIndingit said:

Metals are good at dissipating heat, you have five extra surfaces exposed to cooler air than the ocxo core. The benefit comes from vibration management. 

It's in an enclosed environment, good for temperature control.

Regardless, the proof is in the listening and it's doing something good.

On 11/7/2020 at 6:55 PM, GMG said:

waiting to hear your update on this

Listening to Late in the Evening by Paul Simon, there's a lot going on in the mix with percussion, bells, brass and his voice all vying for attention. It's all layered well so as to keep his vocals clear throughout, with thrilling levels of detail.

Another song, Strong by London Grammar, has a deep throbby bass line throughout. How well I can follow it beneath her extraordinarily powerful voice is now enhanced.

It's lots of little treats like this I am noticing.

27 minutes ago, GMG said:

That’s just great to hear @MartinT

Thanks for the update. 

Did you get the 20mm cube due to clearance of the box cover or would the pricier 25mm also fit?

I'm glad you asked. The 20mm cube was admittedly less expensive but I did wonder at the clearance. I think an extra 5mm might just fit but it would be tight. Of course, the height of different OXCO cans would vary the clearance, too.

I was also wary of the greater warm-up time although I leave the clock running permanently.

Ha! That reminded that a few years back I had granite blocks over Herbies on my Elacs ...

8E442610-8A89-4CEB-A675-4372A91ACAF4.jpeg

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

I love granite. It rocks. 

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

Then ... replaced the granite with similar weighted Elac 4pi plus.2 super tweeters. Though not similar cost $s-wise.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

12 minutes ago, Superdad said:

But if it rocks you'd best shim it! :P

[My wife is a gem, yet sometimes I take her for granite.]

Just to clarify I can't report back yet as my little chunk of coarse grained igneous rock hasn't finished breaking in. 🤣

Intel NUC 8i7BEH (Roon Rock) --> M1 Mac Mini (HQPlayer) --> English Electric 8 Switch --> Sonore Optical Module --> Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Giesemann Emperor Double Crown Clock --> Holo Audio Red (NAA)  --> Holo Audio May KTE DAC --> Holo Audio Serene Preamp --> JL Audio CR-1 Crossover --> [ (Parasound JC 1+ Monoblocks --> Monitor Audio Platinum PL 300 II Speakers) + JL Audio f113v2 Subwoofer ]

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Well you just have to give it another 3 million years...

Doesn't this belong in the Objective-Fi forum?  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Don't forget to ground it.

BTW, I received my clock. Was ticking so loud my wife called 911.

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)