IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

@JohnSwenson I was wondering do you know of modules or small pcb’s for sale that have a 10Mhz input and have a relatively easy selectable output frequency, 24Mhz, 25Mhz etc audio frequencies?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

28 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

There are two possible meanings of that "Manufactured for", one is as you mentioned that Finisar made them and manufacturer listed sold them as their own. But the more likely possibility is that they contain that particular manufacturer's code. The SFP modules contain a code for a specific manufacturer, the equipment (switches etc) from many manufacturers will only work if you insert a module with THEIR code embedded in the module. So Manufactured for means they contain that company's code. None of this matters for the ER since it doesn't look at that code at all.

John S.

So as long as I plan to use the ER on one end and a simple media converter on the other end (or eventually the Sonore OP) this sound like a bargain for the current recommended Finisar sfp module in one of the other forum threads regarding network connections 

just realized I posted my question on the wrong thread 🤦🏻‍♂️

14 minutes ago, RickyV said:

@JohnSwenson I was wondering do you know of modules or small pcb’s for sale that have a 10Mhz input and have a relatively easy selectable output frequency, 24Mhz, 25Mhz etc audio frequencies?

I don't know of anything specifically for audio frequency use.

You could do it with the Si5340-D-EVB which is the evaluation board for the synthesizer used in the ER. BUT you need to have it connected to a computer via USB to program the chip every time it powers up. It is great for testing and exploring but not good for a board you put in a product. And it is a pretty big board as well.

John S.

Hi musiclovers - thank you for sharing your findings regarding the chinese wonderclock!

I have just ordered it - link here: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000152539910.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.795e4c4dGTiyce

but am now not sure if I ordered the right one since there was another link that showed a version specially mentioning the ER - https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4001245799329.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.4d27d1dcGgjsgQ

my question is - should I order the second one providing better performance....????

My second question is - where does a non USB mutec fit into the picture of reclocking the ER wiht the chinese clock - does it improve the sound even more - or is the difference not substatial...

Thank you for the reply!

Mouna

Hi,

My AliExpress Reclocker has arrived. Haven’t listened to it but it was packed superbly and once picked up by DHL arrived in record time. 

I see there are 4 taps on the reclocker. I have two EtherRegens. They are very close to each other so I can cascade them into each other and both are powered by my JS-2. 

My question. Can I use one of the other taps to Reclock my second EtherRegen? Right now the Reclocker is just connected to the final Ethergen in the chain. I’m powering the Reclocker with a LPS 1.2 at 12 volts. Will using the second tap on the reclocker draw more power from the LPS 1.2 causing it to become underpowered? 

If it will work I’ll order a second Apogee WydeEye clock cable. 

Thanks1

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

2 minutes ago, Mouna said:

R1200CL

thank you - your indirect answer showed me that I should have ordered the ER version - the clock is already on its way to here - and if it improves my system I will order the other one.

Thanks - best

Mouna

You can already now request a return. Seller won’t get any money before you saying item arrived. 
So you can already now order a second unit. The extra cost is of cause the freight of returning.

Make sure you at least got a 75 ohm unit. 

Good luck however you proceed. 

7 hours ago, sgr said:

Hi,

My AliExpress Reclocker has arrived. Haven’t listened to it but it was packed superbly and once picked up by DHL arrived in record time. 

I see there are 4 taps on the reclocker. I have two EtherRegens. They are very close to each other so I can cascade them into each other and both are powered by my JS-2. 

My question. Can I use one of the other taps to Reclock my second EtherRegen? Right now the Reclocker is just connected to the final Ethergen in the chain. I’m powering the Reclocker with a LPS 1.2 at 12 volts. Will using the second tap on the reclocker draw more power from the LPS 1.2 causing it to become underpowered? 

If it will work I’ll order a second Apogee WydeEye clock cable. 

Thanks1

If you want to cascade two ER’s you can connect the clock (not reclocker) only to one ER other wise you defeated the isolation moat of the second ER.

But if you use the clock on both ER’s, that could also be beneficial too and you still have the isolation moat of the first ER. I think you have to try and see what sounds best and ask @Superdad

Under development:

Hi,

About the LT 3045s, are we discussing adding them somewhere inside the Dapu clock, or before the clock on the DC side to further filter the power going into the Dapu? I’m using LT3045s between my JS-2 and the two EtherRegens. And I’m using an LPS 1.2 to power the Dapu clock. 

I have my two Etheregens connected via BlueJeans CAT 6 cable. 

I’ve thought about using fiber between the two but as they are within a foot between the two I’m not sure I’d hear a difference. I have fiber elsewhere in my chain powered by two LPS 1.2s. 

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

This is the cable I ordered for my clock. It’s got a great reputation. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3AL6WY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems to be working fine. No complaints. A little pricey. 

Hard to know if a JSSG 360 from Ghent would be better. 

SteVe's V's

I just my BG7TBL from China and also got the Canare LV-77S 75ohm BNC to BNC Interconnect Cable to use with my etherRegen. The music is enhanced as others are describing. 

A month ago I was lucky to got to test another master clock from a known company that is build around the Pink Faun Ultra OCXO Clock. With the clock I got two digital cables to try with the clock. One, an ordinary, like the Canare LV-77S, and one more expensive, a Pink Faun Digital interlink BNC for $800. I was astound how big the difference of the sound (music) was between the two cables. The Pink Faun Digital interlink BNC was just so much better.

So with that in mind I bought a Chord Epic Digital (1 Meter, BNC -  BNC) for $590. This cable makes a big uplift in sound in all aspects compared to the Canare LV-77S. Now you can always discuss how can one buy a digital cable that cost nearly 6 times more than the clock. 

1 hour ago, sgb said:

I just my BG7TBL from China and also got the Canare LV-77S 75ohm BNC to BNC Interconnect Cable to use with my etherRegen. The music is enhanced as others are describing. 

A month ago I was lucky to got to test another master clock from a known company that is build around the Pink Faun Ultra OCXO Clock. With the clock I got two digital cables to try with the clock. One, an ordinary, like the Canare LV-77S, and one more expensive, a Pink Faun Digital interlink BNC for $800. I was astound how big the difference of the sound (music) was between the two cables. The Pink Faun Digital interlink BNC was just so much better.

So with that in mind I bought a Chord Epic Digital (1 Meter, BNC -  BNC) for $590. This cable makes a big uplift in sound in all aspects compared to the Canare LV-77S. Now you can always discuss how can one buy a digital cable that cost nearly 6 times more than the clock. 

Great post. And I know from experience the value of wire and the ability it has  to transform a sound system. I would sure like to know the science behind building such a cable. 

SteVe's V's

9 hours ago, sgr said:

About the LT 3045s, are we discussing adding them somewhere inside the Dapu clock,

Yes.
I have also asked seller, which again have notified manufacturer. Maybe they’re willing to change the PCB design.

9 hours ago, sgr said:

I’ve thought about using fiber between the two but as they are within a foot between the two I’m not sure I’d hear a difference.

If connected A to A side, why not try. Should be very cheap to do. 

The clock signal is very critical signal and it degrades with the length of the cable so the longer the cable the better it needs to be. So buy as short as possible cables, 25 cm is already a lot imo.

Under development:

I just ordered the clock from the Chinese webshop for the etherregen. At least worth trying, for so little money.

Now I am trying to buy some cable, to be precise Belden 4731R since it's had very nice specs especially at 10 MHz. But I can only find 305m reels for sale.😔.

How hard can it be to buy 1m or even 0.5m would be enough...

Yes that would be a good second option, saw that one also, it was just the specs that made me look for the 4731, mainly because atanuation is even lower with that one at 10MHz.

But on the other hand you are pointing out another thing I didn't consider before, it might just be a bit stiff 😬.

6 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Hmmm perhaps, but this one had already several lesser specs.

(Double instead of triple shielded. Again lesser loss in cable length. Etc.)

I'll go for the 4794r.

Or still the 4731 if I can find it in short lengths. But I guess it's just too new.

https://finddiffer.com/rg6-versus-rg11-coaxials-whats-the-difference/

I’m not sure RG11 as the 4731 is, is worth all that extra hassle. I find the link above quite informative. 

I think asking Ghent to do the extra shielding (JSSG360), is easiest way to go. I know he can do 4694R, but I haven’t checked 4794R. 

https://catalog.belden.com/index.cfm?event=compare&cp=PF_4794R,PF_4694R,PF_4731R

I noticed the 4794R has equal outer shield as the 4731.