IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

3 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

If you have a standard ER then you definitely want a 75 ohm one AND a 75 ohm cable.

When we were getting close to releasing the ER we did a pole and almost everybody said they wanted 75 ohm, so that became the "standard" ER. Alex makes a few 50 ohm versions every now and them for people that specifically order 50 ohms.

John S.

Thks very much for the response.

The 75 ohm cable I have work though and sound quite descent...

So ,most probably the 50 ohm one sound probably better.

I LL order one 75 ohm.

Thks

On 9/21/2020 at 9:14 PM, Superdad said:

and he is pretty busy on our other development projects this month.

Superdad,

Don’t think. Just answer. What’s this new project? Quick!

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

Then just spill the beans for two projects. You’ll feel so much better. Believe you me. 
Thanks Superbad. 

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

Well, I just jumped on the "clock" bandwagon.

Spent a lot on my system this year and was looking for some "cheap" tweak I could thinker with. Placed orders last night, will report back...

Two questions:

A) many said the clock need some time to stabilize. Is this each time after being powered down? I will obviously let it run... around the clock.

B) Is 12,5V VS 12V really a thing?

17 hours ago, Superdad said:

LOL.  Well I am hoping one of them is a time machine--to make more hours in the day to get stuff done. That or a cloning device. x-D

But seriously, this is a very fertile time for John and I.  Things are inching forward on four, possibly five projects concurrently. I really don't know which of them will enter production first--at least three are jockeying for position. Still, all are months away and it is too soon for any bean spilling. :ph34r:

It is very fun. For me at least. John is doing all the really challenging brain work... 9_9

Come on spill spill spill 558080F7-AC88-4129-A402-A395055C0676.jpeg.034528940553c86a2b671e1911baf3b2.jpeg

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

5 hours ago, jacques_racine said:

A) many said the clock need some time to stabilize. Is this each time after being powered down? I will obviously let it run... around the clock.

B) Is 12,5V VS 12V really a thing?

A) Yes, definitely leave the clock running, OCXOs are designed that way.

B) For me, yes, 12.5V seems to fully enable the onboard low-dropoff regulator and gave me a small boost in SQ over 12V.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

Thanks Martin. 
Anyone knows where to source a 12.5V power supply?

13 hours ago, jacques_racine said:

Anyone knows where to source a 12.5V power supply?

A Gophert Power Supply is the cheapest way to obtain that. They are quite good. You need banana to 2,1 cable. (Ghent has). 

Dual LPS 1 or 1.2 set to 14V, or any PS you preferring  ordered or set to a higher voltage equal or bigger than 14V. 
Then add Alexey’s LT3045 modules, specified to something between 12,5 to 12,9V

I think I will go with a Keces P3.

On 9/22/2020 at 4:54 PM, R1200CL said:

1ACC4036-FF78-4DDE-B008-8E1A6071644F.jpeg

I got my clock today and it is different again. The wires red circled on @R1200CLare a little longer to the next pin.

0F86781D-260B-4043-BF3C-CD5A41FAEB4E.thumb.jpeg.a42a7d3178de165257bb961650387f78.jpeg

552292AF-DB3D-426B-9AB7-BB4512CA2010.thumb.jpeg.0d73110fe2976f46db1035eb42b6fc6a.jpeg

0B17FCB6-E6CA-414C-8313-97067BF9E30D.thumb.jpeg.fd7a7b22765fdb172e0f5e1923152ca6.jpeg

Under development:

On 9/26/2020 at 10:50 AM, R1200CL said:

As you probably know both Uptone ultra caps powers is supplied with SMPS. 
So I’m not saying that at all 😀

Yes. So I’m saying there shouldn’t be any difference those two power supplies when it come to be used in that application. Especially the clock. But I won’t test this. One reason is the clock shouldn’t ever be switched off once powered up. (JohnS made a comment on that recently).

I had two LPS 1.2 not in use. As well as the necessary serial cable to obtain 12V. So I could put them back in service. 

I think purchasing a Paul Hynes SR4T or a Uptone LPS 1.2 (plus maybe a Ghent DC cable) just for a $92 clock is an overkill.
(Unless that clock really is so fantastic. And we know the difference already).  

The DAPU is back!

An other difference I noticed is that my clock uses the LT1764 wich is a 3A version but still with 40uVrms noise. 
On the other pictures I saw they used LT1963.

Now, I am a bit of a modifier so why not replace these regulators with a 2A or 3A Lt3045 ( 3x 1A  LDOvr  reg). @JohnSwenson would this be a good idea?

Under development:

16 hours ago, RickyV said:

The wires red circled on @R1200CLare a little longer to the next pin.

Did you purchase from same seller ?

I notice we have same board revision. 

15 hours ago, RickyV said:

I noticed is that my clock uses the LT1764

Where do you see that one ?

Is it this one:

360FEE34-603F-48EA-A213-B89047057113.jpeg

I’m also wondering why no heatsinks .
That regulator has been discussed here 5 years ago. 

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Where do you see that one ?

Is it this one:

Look at my picture with the Dapu clock on it, maybe they where out of lt1963 regulators and had these on hand. 

I’m also wondering why no heatsinks

The heatsink are copper layers in the pcb.

Did you purchase from same seller ?

I think it is the same seller. I use the link in the beginning of this thread, he is now advertising this clock especially for the ER.

What’s the output voltage you’re measuring?

I don’t know yet, I don’t have the final psu for it yet and I do want to power it up to often because of damaging the ocxo to much.

Can your board replace the LT1962A or the LT1764 ?

You can parallel Alexey’s 1A modules to the required current you need.

D47D4D53-6CD0-4396-A213-BEB68A131122.thumb.jpeg.992ab9fe3c9ffb57e6c41bb6e5fff4f9.jpeg

I think clock are sensitive to power supply noise, how much I don’t know. Just ideas 💡 

Under development:

20 hours ago, RickyV said:

An other difference I noticed is that my clock uses the LT1764 wich is a 3A version but still with 40uVrms noise. 
On the other pictures I saw they used LT1963.

Now, I am a bit of a modifier so why not replace these regulators with a 2A or 3A Lt3045 ( 3x 1A  LDOvr  reg). @JohnSwenson would this be a good idea?

Yes, clocks ARE susceptible to supply noise. The LT3045s are much lower noise than the ones mentioned, BUT a LT3045 is only good for 0.5A, so you need to put a bunch in parallel to attain the current you mention.

Are you thinking about designing your own boards or using someone elses boards? If you use existing boards they either need to be a single board designed for that current, or lower current boards specifically designed to be paralleled. You can't just take two or three 1A boards and parallel them unless they were specifically designed for that.

John S.

32 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Yes, clocks ARE susceptible to supply noise. The LT3045s are much lower noise than the ones mentioned, BUT a LT3045 is only good for 0.5A, so you need to put a bunch in parallel to attain the current you mention.

Are you thinking about designing your own boards or using someone elses boards? If you use existing boards they either need to be a single board designed for that current, or lower current boards specifically designed to be paralleled. You can't just take two or three 1A boards and parallel them unless they were specifically designed for that.

John S.

A few years ago I asked Alexey from ldovr.com if it was possible to parallel his boards and after he did some experimentation he said it was by paralleling all the inputs, all the outputs and all the “set” pins. The 1A boards he sells now have a through hole connected to the set pin, see picture. 
7E29C00A-04A0-4C82-ADF4-619607E271CE.thumb.jpeg.f881faa7a95a052d46ae69e6ecbc1069.jpeg

In the picture a few posts up you see a 1V  5A  version I made to power a processor of a certain switch. Heat is a problem as I can’t get a heatsink in there so I stack more boards to lighten the current load of all and lowered the input voltage to 0.8V above output. Now the temperature stays under 40 degrees C approximately. When I used an input voltage of 2.5V they got about 70 degrees C, too hot.

So do you think this would be a worthwhile modification?

Under development:

It looks like a nice addon to the ER. But how much of an improvement is it really or is it more of a "different" sound?

Thanks!

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

On 10/4/2020 at 2:17 PM, magnuska said:

It looks like a nice addon to the ER. But how much of an improvement is it really or is it more of a "different" sound?

Do you mean adding the clock to the ER?  It's a big uplift in sound quality.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net