IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

7 hours ago, FIndingit said:

Alexey’s 1.5A board is perfect for these clocks. I use one of 12v and put it a couple millimetres away from the input pin of the clock, under the board, thus bypassing a long path and unnecessary caps on the pcb. 

Hi, do you by any chance know what the output voltage of the internal lt1963 is? Would help a lot?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

On 10/5/2020 at 11:41 PM, FIndingit said:

Alexey’s 1.5A board is perfect for these clocks. I use one of 12v and put it a couple millimetres away from the input pin of the clock, under the board, thus bypassing a long path and unnecessary caps on the pcb. 

Two questions:

1) does this change improve the sound and how?

2) could you share some pictures of the board ? 

Thank you

Hi,

So far I’m very dissatisfied with my DaPU clock project. I’ve never received my unit. It’s bed. A couple of months. I used the same seller you all used in AliExpress. I get excuse after excuse. 
EXCUSES

1. The unit was returned by the shipping company. (I paid extra for AliExpress shipping.) 
2.  I’m sending out DHL you should have it this week. (Ha ha) a 3 weeks have come and gone.
3. I’ve asked for DHL Tracking. . No response. 
4. Asked again got DHL tracking. 
After another week. 
“shipping delayed by holiday”

I think this is crap service. Anyone else gave this experience?

According to PayPal the sale went through on my end. 

I can of course cancel the sale through PayPal.

I don’t think I’ll ever order from AliExpress ever again.  Seems like a scam. 

Any ideas? 

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

5 hours ago, roberto2 said:

Two questions:

1) does this change improve the sound and how?

2) could you share some pictures of the board ? 

Thank you

1. Less noise is all I can say. 
2. https://www.ldovr.com/product-p/lt3045-1a5.htm

Beware that the quality of the BG7TBL board itself is of the cheapest possible quality and destroying and lifting traces is almost inevitable. 

Say NO to ROON

58 minutes ago, sgr said:

Hi,

So far I’m very dissatisfied with my DaPU clock project. I’ve never received my unit. It’s bed. A couple of months. I used the same seller you all used in AliExpress. I get excuse after excuse. 
EXCUSES

1. The unit was returned by the shipping company. (I paid extra for AliExpress shipping.) 
2.  I’m sending out DHL you should have it this week. (Ha ha) a 3 weeks have come and gone.
After another week. 

Any ideas? 

Mine took about 4 weeks to get to Europe and I didn’t expect it to be here sooner. It’s not a scam many people ordered from him and everyone got it I think. Patience.

Under development:

19 hours ago, sgr said:

Hi,

EXCUSES

After another week. 

Any ideas? 

The seller has contacted me to reassure you clock is on the way. 

I guess unfortunate circumstances have caused the delays. 

ii will keep you all informed of the progress and results. 

I did pay extra for fast shipping so I expected it to arrive in a couple of weeks. Not a month and more. 

I guess DHL does not give tracking numbers from China. I’m not the biggest fan of DHL as a couple of years ago two very expensive Revel  subwoofers just disappeared and after the subwoofers left the shipper DHL had no idea what the tracking number was or what happened. After several months I did get my money back. 

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

On 10/7/2020 at 5:34 PM, FIndingit said:

1. Less noise is all I can say. 
2. https://www.ldovr.com/product-p/lt3045-1a5.htm

Beware that the quality of the BG7TBL board itself is of the cheapest possible quality and destroying and lifting traces is almost inevitable. 

Thank you but with my second question I intended to see the modified clock board...🤗

In other words, could you share some pics of your mod?

23 hours ago, roberto2 said:

Thank you but with my second question I intended to see the modified clock board...🤗

In other words, could you share some pics of your mod?

Sorry but that would require powering it down to take new photos. A thing to avoid as written earlier. 

Say NO to ROON

So I powered up my clock today with its temporary power supply. It’s a studer900 into a 12V LT3045 till I make a better one. 
I have measured the output voltage of the internal LT1764, LT1963 regulator and its 11V.

This is my clocking “cable” not sure if it’s a good or bad idea because it 2 more contact passages but it is short 5cm. 🙂

00E3A8CF-1B9F-4338-B365-3C70350E66C7.thumb.jpeg.3fe3cb18584c8c28bab4b3b7f61bec4c.jpeg

Under development:

1 hour ago, RickyV said:

I have measured the output voltage of the internal LT1764, LT1963 regulator and its 11V.

That’s nice to know. (Rember there’s an A after 1963😀)

So the clock itself requires 11 V then. Did you find any data sheets for clock saying anything about voltage requirements?

I wonder if we’re able to convince the Chinese to exchange that present regulator in use to LT3045. 
I think he’s reading this tread, but a bit reluctant to participate in any discussion. 

However there may be other changes that could be done. So maybe if we’re patient John maybe give some suggestions. 

I am also thinking of buying this clock for my ER. I already have a Paul hynes SR4 to power it.

I also have a 75ohm spdif cable with BNC to BNC. Would this work just as well as a so called clock cable? Whats the difference or is there?

Magnus

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

1 minute ago, R1200CL said:

Yes. What cable ? Length?

Well that could be the issue, its a 150cm Audio sensibility signature cable. Not cheap.

That length was the preferred length for spdif signal according to AS.

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

5 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Maybe discuss length here ?

Great Thanks for the link !

On 10/10/2020 at 9:09 AM, R1200CL said:

That’s nice to know. (Rember there’s an A after 1963😀)

So the clock itself requires 11 V then. Did you find any data sheets for clock saying anything about voltage requirements?

I wonder if we’re able to convince the Chinese to exchange that present regulator in use to LT3045. 
I think he’s reading this tread, but a bit reluctant to participate in any discussion. 

However there may be other changes that could be done. So maybe if we’re patient John maybe give some suggestions. 

Remember that the LT3045 is just 0.5A. Even 12V OCXOs take more than that when warming up the oven. So you would have to parallel two to three LT3045s, this CAN be done but is a bit more complicated, and WAY more expensive than the 1963A.

John S.

13 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

There is NO need for a specific cable length IF the impedances are properly matched all along (cable, connectors on cable, connectors on boxes and internal board impedances). The issue did exist for SPDIF because the impedances almost never came close.

So for a clock cable where everything is properly impedance matched, there is no need for a specific length, in general shorter is better. BUT you have to take into account the bandwidth of the cable. A longer piece of very high bandwidth cable can be better than a short piece of not so high bandwidth cable.

Also shielding can matter. The best are very high bandwidth double shielded cables. These are not cheap but will give the best results.

Note NONE of this has anything to do with the clock not working at all, it has to do with subtle differences in the edges of the clock waveform at the clock receiver causing slight differences in jitter in the received clock which you may perceive as better sound.

As to the specific cable mentioned, I have no idea, I don't know the specifics of that cable. As long as the cable and connectors on the cable have the correct impedance to match the input on the ER and the output of the clock you can certainly try it. (you can use anything you want, it won't harm anything, it just may not sound as good as it could, heck wire coat hangers will WORK, but probably won't sound that great).

John S.

What do you think about the 75ohm adapters I used and the two extra contact passes, it is short. 9 posts up.

Under development:

5 hours ago, GMG said:

There are two possible meanings of that "Manufactured for", one is as you mentioned that Finisar made them and manufacturer listed sold them as their own. But the more likely possibility is that they contain that particular manufacturer's code. The SFP modules contain a code for a specific manufacturer, the equipment (switches etc) from many manufacturers will only work if you insert a module with THEIR code embedded in the module. So Manufactured for means they contain that company's code. None of this matters for the ER since it doesn't look at that code at all.

John S.

6 minutes ago, RickyV said:

What do you think about the 75ohm adapters I used and the two extra contact passes, it is short. 9 posts up.

As long as they are the correct impedance I think it is a great idea. Those adapters almost always use teflon dielectric and are machined to tight tolerances. There is a high probability what you have will be better that an equivalent piece of short cable of any type.

John S.