IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

easy enough to add a switch with a bleed resistor and listen in open and closed position...I'm using a manual bleed resistor...the trouble is ease of use.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

1 hour ago, Rovo said:

I also use a manual bleed resistor. Quite easy when you are used to it. And always double check with the multi meter. 

I love the crackle of making a connection when I forgot to bleed the caps every now and then...reminds me of the HUGE LPSU of the Le Monstre Amp many moons ago 

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

BTW: I attended Currentzis conducting Mahler 4th at RCO yesterday....loads of work to be done for audio at home....what an acoustic, what a performance....we did not dare play any music afterwards....colors, overtones, high and low freq definition in spades, what a room it is, and what an orchestre and what a conductor, a true once in a lfetime event!

I hope this fits here as I didn't think it would warrant a new topic;

Looking into rebuilding my music server and was already considering upgrading to I2S at some point.

However, there's several I2S to HDMI modules around and looking up the schematic (was considering using a EngineeredRed XU2S, rather than the Amanero) I find the pin layouts confusing. They don't seem to match up 1:1, the labels seem different. Is there a quick guide out there or even a best pick? Would be nice if there were such a module which could be plugged onto the connector itself.

S92a5aa23675a48fdb5c4a4c79118f8d8A.jpg_350x350.jpg

2 hours ago, Rubberduck said:

I hope this fits here as I didn't think it would warrant a new topic;

Looking into rebuilding my music server and was already considering upgrading to I2S at some point.

However, there's several I2S to HDMI modules around and looking up the schematic (was considering using a EngineeredRed XU2S, rather than the Amanero) I find the pin layouts confusing. They don't seem to match up 1:1, the labels seem different. Is there a quick guide out there or even a best pick? Would be nice if there were such a module which could be plugged onto the connector itself.

S92a5aa23675a48fdb5c4a4c79118f8d8A.jpg_350x350.jpg

please explain what your goal is? I2S can be connected without conversion so if I2S output is available you do not need this convertor, if I2S is not available you need something like the Pink Faun HEA bridge.

18 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

please explain what your goal is? I2S can be connected without conversion so if I2S output is available you do not need this convertor, if I2S is not available you need something like the Pink Faun HEA bridge.

The Pink Faun doesn't fit my needs, not right now anyways and it doesn't fit nicely/at all with my DIY case CAD sketches.

I want to use the coaxial out from this one (directly available through a header) and expand with i2s hdmi later;

https://www.engineered.ch/products/usb-interface-1/

To connect it in the future to either a dac or amplifier with i2s input, want to use USB separately for another player.

I've got one of those green multi out boards from audiophonics now (coax/optical/aes/i2s) for testing but the Amanero is giving me problems.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/interface-modules/i2s-usb-to-aesebu-coaxial-optical-hdmi-digital-interface-32bit-384khz-dsd128-p-13627.html

The XU2S has the same connector as the Amanero and could connect them both, but due to space constraints rather don't.

If I understand you correctly (correct me if I'm wrong)  you plan on using an existing output format and convert that to LVDS I2S? What I2S format you need will be dictated by the DAC you are using. I2S over HDMi if frequently being used but also not standardized (yet), you might run  into a DAC using I2S over RJ45 (ethernet)

(the Audiophonics website appears to be down)

8 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

If I understand you correctly (correct me if I'm wrong)  you plan on using an existing output format and convert that to LVDS I2S? What I2S format you need will be dictated by the DAC you are using. I2S over HDMi if frequently being used but also not standardized (yet), you might run  into a DAC using I2S over RJ45 (ethernet)

(the Audiophonics website appears to be down)

I'm planning to use my current amplifier with coax in, if I get you right. Not converting anything.

For the future streamer I want to rip my SACD collection to DSF (which is DSD as I understand it) and pass that on 1:1.

Maybe it's better for me to wait till i2s gets finalised then? will be using Neutrik sockets so I could just blank it for now.

Ziggo connect wel trouwens

1 minute ago, Rubberduck said:

I'm planning to use my current amplifier with coax in, if I get you right. Not converting anything.

For the future streamer I want to rip my SACD collection to DSF (which is DSD as I understand it) and pass that on 1:1.

Maybe it's better for me to wait till i2s gets finalised then? will be using Neutrik sockets so I could just blank it for now.

Ziggo connect wel trouwens

I2S may never be finalized/standardized...

Coax is just a cable geometry, not the holy grail IMO...I'd focus on the data format and see what cable you can use for that.

What inputs does your amp have, what amp is it?

I2S in native format is IME a nice step in SQ, but amps typically do not accept I2S unless it's an amp with integrated DAC (and in that case I doubt the benefit will be interesting enough to invest any money and effort in since most integrated DAC's are an afterthought)

22 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

I2S may never be finalized/standardized...

What inputs does your amp have, what amp is it?

Just don't laugh, it's an older one and not particularly aimed at audiophile (also it's a receiver not so much an amplifier, sorry!).

Cambridge Audio Azur 351R, connected to both coax are my volumio streamer plus sacd player.

Yeah back then I had different priorities and now I want to upgrade most parts of the setup.

But would very much like to build another streamer and learn a lot on the way / try to see what software I like and I2S out just seemed like a good idea to me.

I'll wait out on i2s for now and just rethink everything a bit.

I won't laugh, Cambridge makes nice gear! Just get going an build a streamer, you'll need a dedicated DAC at some point to lift SQ to the next level but until then I'd use whatever input format your amp can handle.

IME the order of sound quality is USB-SPDIF-I2S, but ultimately it all comes down to the quality of implementation...so a poor i2S implementation can sound worse than a great USB....

To add to Nenon’s post, if you have an i9 9900k based machine or something in the 8th/9th gen range do yourself and add the SOTM SMB Q370 motherboard to your to try list. It sounds really really good, and I strongly feel that it has extracted way more performance from my system than I expected. This is without the additional clock board too.

Is it better than the Dual CPU Asus Sage builds? I do not know. Probably not. But I am much less curious now.

You're all giving me a hard time choosing the right upgrade path :P

Well I already have a JCAT USB Crystek oscillator card (green version, not black) with a headphone amp on my desktop, so if I had a streamer with both I2S and USB I could compare them at some point.

But from that setup I can tell a shorter or better USB cable does make a minute difference somehow.

As for the Amanero, thought of testing the XU2S to see if that would make a difference.

Several people seem to really like that one, it just doesn't have (easy) upgradable oscillators.

@NenonHave you tried the Amanero in chain with the Taiko/another USB card? I could actually check for myself with Both the JCAT + Amanero but my current receiver probably isn't good enough to notice a difference anyways.