IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

3 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

I just measured for these chokes and I don't see any way 2 can fit with all the other components, even with the ATX converter mounted on a wall of the case.  I'm going to pick a couple up anyway so I have options, but just don't see how to make them fit.

That’s unfortunate, since the SQ gains are undeniable now that Rovo has shared his experience. Are you specifically talking about the VN180-10 or the VN300? The latter is likely substantially larger.

• 2 weeks later...

To add to Nenon’s post, if you have an i9 9900k based machine or something in the 8th/9th gen range do yourself and add the SOTM SMB Q370 motherboard to your to try list. It sounds really really good, and I strongly feel that it has extracted way more performance from my system than I expected. This is without the additional clock board too.

Is it better than the Dual CPU Asus Sage builds? I do not know. Probably not. But I am much less curious now.

15 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Thanks, but I was looking for the measurements from @MarcelNL chokes.

If I convert @lwr measurements of Marcel’s choke it’s 140x100x83mm so much bigger then the Mundorf’s. 

I am also curious. The VN180-10s consume a lot of space in my chassis with the current layout. If they’re significantly larger it will require a complete component re-org to fit them.

1 hour ago, di-fi said:

Can it be any Intel NVMe 2TB , or was 660P recommended (somewhere)? and 670P?

The 660P became a hot topic for music local storage due to its use in the Taiko SGM extreme IIRC. The 670P is what I decided to use because the 660P became a bit more difficult to find at one point, and in some cases ended up costing more than the newer 670P. 

I think many NVME's will work with the HyperX card as @baconbrain stated.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, SK8 said:

Interesting....

How would you describe the differences in sonic performance between the Extreme and the DIY WS621E? What OS and software are you running on the DIY WS621E?

In additional to this - can you share some details about the slabs of wood you’re using for vibration control? 😎

3 hours ago, Exocer said:

In additional to this - can you share some details about the slabs of wood you’re using for vibration control? 😎

3 minutes ago, di-fi said:

I think I recognised two IKEA cutting boards. I cut open an IKEA APTITLIG bamboo plywood after I put each speaker stand on a board and something seemed to sound off. I changed for much heavier Panzerwood with very obvious diffrences. Hope this is helpful.

• Density bamboo plywood : 650-850 kg / m3
  • IKEA APTITLIG bamboo plywood: 400 kg / m3 (my guess)
  • Panzerholz : 1350 - 1400 kg / m3

https://antipodes.support/t/isolation-of-network-equipment/1325/9?u=paulw

image_2023-03-06_161343907.png

I meant in addition*

Thanks @di-fi. I am trying to convince @BCRichto order a sheet of Panzerholz with me since we’re both in the tri-state area.

Would you say the ikea board is worth skipping in favor of the Panzerholz?

I have been eyeing these too:

US $60.45  7% Off | Rosewood  Solid Wood Amplifier CD Player Tube Preamp DAC Shock Absorber Speaker Isolator Pads Stand Base Bracket Support Rack
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPqTPF0

8 minutes ago, Nsxturbo said:

I am using Windows LTSC with Audiophile Optimizer. For playback software(no frills our streaming, just local files)I use Bughead Emperor. I also use Jplay for both Qobuz & local files, but honestly in my system Bughead gets the nod, but is is very utilitarian😆Also files copied to the Zzyx drive sound better than those played from the Intel 660’s via VROC.

The Extreme, even without XDMS is more resolving and lower noise floor, and I would describe it as calmer but with greater dynamics than our facsimiles. With XDMS, it is a whole different level of refinement with an even lower noise floor and then add to that more detail, soundscape depth and width and overall I would call it a beautiful but with lightning quickness and explosive dynamics sound. It truly is State of the Art Digital. Paired with the Horizon, It is no doubt digital endgame playback.(At this moment in time.) Emile and his team at Taiko, I believe will leave no stone unturned in both software and hardware development. I am awaiting my Taiko switch and network card, then down there is a lot more exciting developments.  “I might have to kill another hobbie and get a side hustle just to keep up😂

BTW, our Extreme copies are in no way chopped liver and would best 95% or more commercial offerings!

Thank you. While I do not have a dual cpu rig, I and a few others can confirm that the Hammond 159zj chokes restrict dynamics of the ULPS, increase the noise floor and reduce overall resolution compared to our more recent discoveries:

1. Hi-B cut chokes thread: 

2. Mundorf VN180-10 chokes which I am REALLY impressed with in my own build (along with a few others).

I do not expect you to entertain the modification of your ULPS at this point, but I’m sure we would all be curious of how much these higher quality inductors/chokes narrow the performance gap in such a resolving system.

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, JackJohnson316 said:

I’m selling my Sean Jacobs linear power supply DC3/4 with DC4 regulator modules, DC4 recaps, and Mundorf silver gold internal wiring. Two legs both 5v that I used to power my Jcat and Pink Faun pcie cards in my DIY server. It’s a terrific, at the top of the list, LPS for anyone looking to build a DIY server. Thanks 

Good luck with the sale!

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Thanks Rob. Have you noticed a difference from Euphony's default?

You’re welcome. My system is in huge flux right now but yes, I find that these settings are proving to result in an overall sound quality improvement. I am using the  default Taiko Startech NIC currently. 

Edit: I am trying my Twinax cable again between Etherregen and Server. These settings have made the Twinax sound better than the SFP/Fiber cable duo.

@may.park - As an avid SOTM SMB Q370 owner and DIYer, can you share if there are plans underway to release a newer version of the SMB Q370? It appears to be entirely dismissed by many DIYers as an audiophile motherboard. It was convenient for me to try since I already had the CPUs on-hand, but to those looking to "upgrade" their sound quality, taking a step back to an older architecture can be a tough pill to swallow or simply infeasible for a number of reasons (some prefer not to buy used CPUs for example).

1 hour ago, MarcelNL said:

I'm all for a custom MB, if only we can agree what platform and chipset it'll use.

I'm all for this too. Maybe we should extend @lmitche's polls. Generally speaking, do we still need to consider two architectures? One for those who like to upsample in realtime, and those who do not upsample but instead use tools like PGGB or stick with native PCM playback?

Let's get the convo started.

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, littlej0e said:

Hit me up if you really want a Taiko DIY chassis. I wouldn't mind swapping it out with someone that will actually leverage all the space and design considerations it provides. 

Thanks so much for the offer. Since I will be sticking with the SOTM board/single CPU setup for the long haul I suspect the chassis can go to an even better dual CPU home than mine. Very generous of you!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...