IGNORED

Perception and measurement

Daccord

That optical illusion is pretty cool as I had to get out my tape measure to confirm as at first sight I said "no way".  The video is very interesting too and kind makes you question everything we ever heard or believed.

I guess another subjectivist vs. measurementalist angle here.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

At some point isn’t about what you hear? Last week I sat down to listen to Ben Webster and drink a little bourbon. The most relevant measurement I guess was the amount of bourbon in the glass. 

Do measurements make people want to seek the more perfect?  I guess it is about rational decision making but it all seems a little weird to me. 

2 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Bourbon (and even more so, single malt scotch) is a very rational and measured approach to improving sound quality. No need to feel bad about it.

When they label that single malt with a hand written barrel number boldly marked, it sure does make it more special and taste better :)

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

10 minutes ago, Michaelb4 said:

At some point isn’t about what you hear? Last week I sat down to listen to Ben Webster and drink a little bourbon. The most relevant measurement I guess was the amount of bourbon in the glass. 

Do measurements make people want to seek the more perfect?  I guess it is about rational decision making but it all seems a little weird to me. 

I think you'll find those seeking the more perfect don't have much faith in measurements. I'll happily sit down with you and listen to some Ben Webster and drink a little bourbon. But please don't tell me about your ethernet switch.

3 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I volunteer.  I will pm my shipping address.

You do realize you'll also be revealing your sipping address??

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

They differ!

Too sneaky.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Stereo itself is an illusion. While most audiophiles can recreate the actual image in their head by listening to stereo sound but for those who never been exposed to artificial sound can find them very disorienting due contradiction with visual and audio cues. For audiophiles maybe they have allowed themself to be more influenced by the illusion than objectivists.

If You have never seen the face of Jesus before than you only see the toast bread. Who is correct?

DA7DFBBF-73DF-444C-BBAE-575D9C0F65FE.jpeg.abe3e1ded03a992060bcf6a122050d5e.jpeg

Honest to God I don’t know what an Ethernet Switch is. I have Benchmark DAC and Amp and the most important reason I have them is that when I purchased them Benchmark had and probably still has a liberal return policy. 

I liked what I heard.

3 hours ago, Daccord said:

I think you'll find those seeking the more perfect don't have much faith in measurements. I'll happily sit down with you and listen to some Ben Webster and drink a little bourbon. But please don't tell me about your ethernet switch.

8 minutes ago, Michaelb4 said:

Honest to God I don’t know what an Ethernet Switch is. I have Benchmark DAC and Amp and the most important reason I have them is that when I purchased them Benchmark had and probably still has a liberal return policy. 

I liked what I heard.

I suspect we wouldn't have to get very far into that bottle of bourbon before we were both just enjoying the music.

19 minutes ago, STC said:

Stereo itself is an illusion. While most audiophiles can recreate the actual image in their head by listening to stereo sound but for those who never been exposed to artificial sound can find them very disorienting due contradiction with visual and audio cues. For audiophiles maybe they have allowed themself to be more influenced by the illusion than objectivists.

If You have never seen the face of Jesus before than you only see the toast bread. Who is correct?

DA7DFBBF-73DF-444C-BBAE-575D9C0F65FE.jpeg.abe3e1ded03a992060bcf6a122050d5e.jpeg

Actually I see the head of a white horse, and a rider wearing a scary looking helmet or perhaps having a bony head without skin.  Rather like one of the 4 horses of the apocalypse from the book of Revelations.  

image.png.20718e28d96073ee0c94905f677249e2.png

Turn the picture to the side and you will see a turtle head. Funny I could see that because I never saw the Batman logo in the image below. It only when someone pointed out the shape of the bat I realized the meaning of it. Even now whenever I see the logo, it appears like a cartoon figure with big teeth mouth wide open. I have to force myself to see the bat. 

29A7A9A5-DAD5-41CB-B110-B7B078FB52F7.thumb.jpeg.c9091bdb2a8ef6db2f4d07d7229f4efa.jpeg

1 hour ago, STC said:

Turn the picture to the side and you will see a turtle head. Funny I could see that because I never saw the Batman logo in the image below. It only when someone pointed out the shape of the bat I realized the meaning of it. Even now whenever I see the logo, it appears like a cartoon figure with big teeth mouth wide open. I have to force myself to see the bat. 

29A7A9A5-DAD5-41CB-B110-B7B078FB52F7.thumb.jpeg.c9091bdb2a8ef6db2f4d07d7229f4efa.jpeg

Finally, another person who sees the teeth.