IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

42 minutes ago, Superdad said:
5 hours ago, Discopants said:

Maybe your system is telling you to listen to more music and to watch less TV! :P (Though I must say, I am looking forward to checking out that new Perry Mason series on HBO; I'm a big Mathew Rhys fan.

Apologies for the OT: Don't know if you've seen the trailer for the Apple TV+ series coming in 2021 based on Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" novels, but !!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hello,

I just got a Lumin X1 to test it in my system for this weekend.

Those who have or had the X1 and the ER together, which way did you connect them for the best result?

My setup now:

Modem -> Cat cable -> Sonore OM -> Fiber cable -> ER A side -> Supra Cat8 -> Lumin U1 Mini -> USB DAC....

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, MrKlutz said:

I run an Asus Router-TPlink fmc with fiber to the the Etherregen and then directly to an Auralic Aries G2. The Auralic suddenly reports it cannot connect to the wired connection not being about to find ....

Hi:

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Let's first make sure that your EtherREGEN has not somehow failed (that would be rare; only 3 out of 1400 have had field failure).

Since there is almost no way for a EtherREGEN to have a 'B' side failure and still have 'A' side working, and since it simplifies diagnostics, let's have you stay on the 'A' side while trying these steps:

a) Skip the optical SFP port of the EtherREGEN and connect a copper network feed cable to one of the 'A' side ports.

b) Attach a normal desktop/laptop computer (with monitor) to one of the other 'A' side copper ports.  Open a web browser and see if you can get onto the internet. If you can, then proceed to the next step. If you can't, then we need to figure out why.

c) Assuming you were able to browse internet in step b), now plug your Auralic Aries G2 into one of the other 'A' side  ports. Does that work?  What color is the LED blinking above the port on the EtherREGEN where you have it plugged in?

d) If you now have connectivity with your Aries G2 (via using just copper ports on 'A' side) then remove the network feed from the 'A' side copper port and plug your optical transceiver--which is your network feed--into the EtherREGEN's SFP cage.  You may need to wait about one minute and then power cycle your Aries G2.

Do you now have connectivity to your Aires?

That's enough for now. I'll wait for your report to the exact steps above.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

P.S. Are you by any chance Xavier from Canada? We received an EtherREGEN support request from that name a day ago--and it also involves an Aries G2.

Kzs70,

I run copper from my modem -- switch -- etherRegen B side -- fiber out from A side -- Lumin X1 -- active analog crossover -- amps.  I also have run copper from A side ER to microRendu to USB DAC & preamp.  I have grounded ER to linear power supply powering the ER.  The microRendu is separate power supply.   Prior to Lumin X1, I had not tried any of my DACs direct to the active crossover.  I will continue to evaluate but have been quite pleased with the results.  I have some new XLR cables due today, so will evaluate those in the mix as well, first with Lumin X1 to active crossover and later to and from the preamp.

On 6/27/2020 at 4:50 PM, further said:

Kzs70,

I run copper from my modem -- switch -- etherRegen B side -- fiber out from A side -- Lumin X1 -- active analog crossover -- amps. 

Thanks, I will try this configuration too, just have to buy a new pair of sfp transceivers.

Which brand/model SFP do you have in your system?

I followed Chris's recommendations he furnished here.  This was my first experience with fiber cable and SFP.  You want to make sure the fiber cable is completely inserted into the SFP and protective end caps removed from the fiber cable before inserting.  Process is easy, quick and results have been very good.

46 minutes ago, hpfish said:

Both my ER and LPS 1.2 run quite warm/hot.   Should I power them off when not in use or just leave them on 24/7?  Thanks

If using our UltraCap LPS-1.2 to power the EtherREGEN please be sure you have it set to output 12V.  EtherREGEN draws a maximum of 0.8A at 12V.  At lower input voltages it will draw more current. At 9V it would draw a full 1.0A (keeping the LPS-1.2 mighty toasty) and it is rare for an LPS-1.2 to even work with an EtherREGEN at 7V because about 1.35A could be drawn.

Otherwise heat is not something you need to worry about, and I'd leave both units on 24/7.

Big smile from Norway after installing a 10Gtek FMC between Airport Extreme and EtherREGEN. Noticeable lift in clarity, dynamics and overall performance. Not ground shaking, but certainly a keeper and just what I needed.
I ordered https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0716XT1QT (Superdad recommended 3-pack link below) on sunday and plugged it in today (thursday)!
Tom

UpTone JS-2 LPS x 2 > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK/JS-2 LPS) > Cisco 2960 > EtherRegen 1 (1.2 LPS) > EtherRegen 2 (1.2 LPS) > OpticalModule (JS-2 LPS) > OpticalRendu (JS-2 LPS) > Denafrips Hermes DDC (i2S) > Denafrips Pontus II R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson Tube Preamp > Denafrips Hyperion Amp > SoundLab Dynastat speakers // CABLES:  Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / Sablon Audio / Tubulus Argentus / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent

5 hours ago, TwinPeak said:

Big smile from Norway after installing a 10Gtek FMC between Airport Extreme and EtherREGEN. Noticeable lift in clarity, dynamics and overall performance. Not ground shaking, but certainly a keeper and just what I needed.
I ordered https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0716XT1QT (Superdad recommended 3-pack link below) on sunday and plugged it in today (thursday)!
Tom

Looks like a comparatively inexpensive experiment I may consider trying. What about it is "3-pack", though? Do you mean 1 converter + 1 transceiver + 1 power supply?

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

2 minutes ago, acousticsguru said:

Looks like a comparatively inexpensive experiment I may consider trying. What about it is "3-pack", though? Do you mean 1 converter + 1 transceiver + 1 power supply?

Yes, the 10Gtek FMC package has a SFP transceiver included. You need another SFP for your connection. Third ingredient is fiber cable at your choice (length)...
Tom

UpTone JS-2 LPS x 2 > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK/JS-2 LPS) > Cisco 2960 > EtherRegen 1 (1.2 LPS) > EtherRegen 2 (1.2 LPS) > OpticalModule (JS-2 LPS) > OpticalRendu (JS-2 LPS) > Denafrips Hermes DDC (i2S) > Denafrips Pontus II R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson Tube Preamp > Denafrips Hyperion Amp > SoundLab Dynastat speakers // CABLES:  Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / Sablon Audio / Tubulus Argentus / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent

On 7/2/2020 at 4:17 PM, TwinPeak said:

Tom

I hate to confess that the day after I installed a FMC, I noticed my equipment didn't sounded as expected, and certainly nothing near the small "revelation" I heard the day before.

1. I experimented with and without the FMC, and to me it sounded better without it.

2. In Audirvana+ I waited until the song was fully loaded, disconnected the ethernet cable at the FMC, and pressed play. Still no difference.
3. So I exchanged the included SMPS with a LPS-1.2. Still, it sounded better without the FMC.
So my humble conclusion is that the inexpensive FMC I bought is not an audio grade device, and I removed it from my system. Hmm..
Tom

5 hours ago, TwinPeak said:

So I exchanged the included SMPS with a LPS-1.2. Still, it sounded better without the FMC.
So my humble conclusion is that the inexpensive FMC I bought is not an audio grade device, and I removed it from my system. Hmm..
Tom

The Sonore opticalModule with the LPS-1.2 might work out better.  Just a thought...

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

7 hours ago, TwinPeak said:

I hate to confess that the day after I installed a FMC, I noticed my equipment didn't sounded as expected, and certainly nothing near the small "revelation" I heard the day before.

1. I experimented with and without the FMC, and to me it sounded better without it.

2. In Audirvana+ I waited until the song was fully loaded, disconnected the ethernet cable at the FMC, and pressed play. Still no difference.
3. So I exchanged the included SMPS with a LPS-1.2. Still, it sounded better without the FMC.
Tom

That's good to know, thanks for sharing!

Unfortunately I am back. Drop out again (after pulling the plug out before a thunderstorm), went through the whole procedure of unplugging everything and turning them patiently on in turn, set up a fixed IP and got it to play. For half a song after which it lost the next work / IP again. So no more “fuggedaboutit” - as I seem to be having the same issues of late after having played for 4 months no issues what so ever. And I’ve made no changes to my setup at all

On 6/26/2020 at 10:43 PM, Superdad said:

Hi:

Let's first make sure that your EtherREGEN has not somehow failed (that would be rare; only 3 out of 1400 have had field failure).

Since there is almost no way for a

Hi Alex will go through these steps now and report back. 

On 6/26/2020 at 10:43 PM, Superdad said:

Hi:

Since there is almost no way for a EtherREGEN to have a 'B' side failure and still have 'A' side working, and since it simplifies diagnostics, let's have you stay on the 'A' side while trying these steps:

a) Skip the optical SFP port of the EtherREGEN and connect a copper network feed cable to one of the 'A' side ports.

b) Attach a normal desktop/laptop computer (with monitor) to one of the other 'A' side copper ports.  Open a web browser and see if you can get onto the internet. If you can, then proceed to the next step. If you can't, then we need to figure out why.

c) Assuming you were able to browse internet in step b), now plug your Auralic Aries G2 into one of the other 'A' side  ports. Does that work?  What color is the LED blinking above the port on the EtherREGEN where you have it plugged in?

d) If you now have connectivity with your Aries G2 (via using just copper ports on 'A' side) then remove the network feed from the 'A' side copper port and plug your optical transceiver--which is your network feed--into the EtherREGEN's SFP cage.  You may need to wait about one minute and then power cycle your Aries G2.

Do you now have connectivity to your Aires?

That's enough for now. I'll wait for your report to the exact steps above.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

P.S. Are you by any chance Xavier from Canada? We received an EtherREGEN support request from that name a day ago--and it also involves an Aries G2.

Hi Alex @Superdad. Everything works well through all the steps except after reinserting the SFP I get confirmation of network connection and start playing - but after half a song it then drops out (on the Auralic, I see it loosing the connections earlier and then the last of the buffered song plays). and from having both green and orange lights  on the B output, they both went dead.

I played at least two songs through the Ethernet/copper-line attached with no issues (green and orange light). 

Tried powering on and off the Auralic again - got the orange light back on and a few intermittent green blinks but to no avail.

So there definitely something going on with the spf. Since some other users with SPF / optical feeds lately seem to have experienced these dropouts - different routers and setups - the common denominator is of course the etherregen. But I am seriously no expert. And by the way neither the Xavier from canada 😉 I’m Michael from Sweden.

any thoughts ?

22 hours ago, TwinPeak said:

Tom

Try a good single mode cable >= to 5 meters in length and single mode 1310nm SFPs like the Finisars that are widely available used on Ebay.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

16 hours ago, PYP said:

The Sonore opticalModule with the LPS-1.2 might work out better.  Just a thought...

Thanks for the tip! And yes, the opticalModule is what I should have headed for, as it's manufactured with audio use in mind - and I might give it a try later. I had a pre-taste of what optical isolation adds to the system first time I connected the "cheap" FMC, but the advantage turned into degraded sound quality over night...
Tom

17 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Try a good single mode cable >= to 5 meters in length and single mode 1310nm SFPs like the Finisars that are widely available used on Ebay.

Hi Imitche.
I am currently using this cable with my Finisar.  Could you recommend a cable that is clearly superior in quality?

Regards

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5