IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

Only two out of 1,200?  .  If I had known, I would have bought a lottery ticket.😀

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

17 minutes ago, Blackfiction said:

Hi, I am not really familiar with grounding...can I use the cable from the picture and connect the yellow/green part to the etherregen and the schuko to a wall socket?
if not, could anyone please explain how to do it and what cable should be used?
thanks!image.thumb.jpeg.24da09aef28b87107dc4d2ee3989809e.jpeg

That will work just fine provided that:

a) You are certain that the green/yellow wire is the ground wire and not one of the hot lines (that's where a continuity/beep meter comes in handy);

b) You do something VERY safe and secure to seal off the two hot wires (certainly don't leave them striped, yet still put either wire nuts or electrical tape over the tips--or both);

c) You promise never to sue us for injury cause by any mistakes made with regards any of this advice. x-D

I bought a second-hand EtherRegen but have a quick question on usage. I have an ethernet jack from the wall that I currently use a switch to connect my PC, TV, and a Lumin streamer. Is it best to connect the ER to wall and plug my PC, TV, Lumin into it? Or should I plug the ER into the switch and only have my Lumin on it. I'm not sure if it's advisable to only have the audio stream on the ER or if it's irrelevant. Thanks. 

7 hours ago, mrkoven said:

I bought a second-hand EtherRegen but have a quick question on usage. I have an ethernet jack from the wall that I currently use a switch to connect my PC, TV, and a Lumin streamer. Is it best to connect the ER to wall and plug my PC, TV, Lumin into it? Or should I plug the ER into the switch and only have my Lumin on it. I'm not sure if it's advisable to only have the audio stream on the ER or if it's irrelevant. Thanks. 

I experimented with this a couple of weeks ago. I found that only having the LAN connection and my music server connected to the "A" side sounded best. When I also plugged in my Roku and Apple TV ethernet cables to the "A" side I had an audible decrease in SQ. I did think that my video and the SQ from my TV was slightly better when those cables were plugged into the ER. When I listen to music I just unplug those cables now. Try it and see how it works for you. YMMV 🙂

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

21 hours ago, Blackfiction said:

Hi, I am not really familiar with grounding...can I use the cable from the picture and connect the yellow/green part to the etherregen and the schuko to a wall socket?
if not, could anyone please explain how to do it and what cable should be used?
thanks!image.thumb.jpeg.24da09aef28b87107dc4d2ee3989809e.jpeg

If you are not confident working with line/mains voltage or testing for continuity you might want to buy something like this. Just cut off the snap-on connector and strip back a bit of the wire to connect to the ER binding post. The hot pins on this plug have no connection, just the ground.

https://shop.statech.ch/en/esd-protected-area/cables-connectors/grounding-cord-2-5m-10mm-socket-schuko-plug-1m

G25-10W-EU.png

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

On 4/28/2020 at 7:40 PM, Superdad said:

Hi Blake:

You can certainly try it that way but in general we discourage EtherREGEN owners from using "bridged" Ethernet ports in their servers as such can sometimes cause extra latency and hiccups (stuttering, dropouts, loss of connectivity) with some network audio software protocols (Roon RAAT, Signalyst NAA, DLNA, etc.).

[As an aside, despite Melco's vague description about their Ethernet ports, looking at high-res photos of the N1A Mk.2 motherboard just shows two ports with (naturally) separate magnetics--and separate PHYs (the larger of the two probably contains the Ethernet controller for both). And I am not too keen on how far away they put those PHYs from the magnetics. (Look in red rectangle at top of the below pic.) Still, I very much applaud whatever efforts they have made with the ports. :)]

2129870647_MelcoN1AMk.2.thumb.jpg.9916f454ff3f76a37f45b9fc68349fe5.jpg

Hi Alex! 
No problems from my side using the bridged ports of my Innuos Zen MKIII.

Best, Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

I currently have this set up:

cable modem with one Ethernet output

ethernet from modem to Orbi router 

ethernet from Orbi router to Cisco switch 

ethernet from switch to EtherRegen A side

ethernet from EtherRegen B side to Dac

is there a benefit to, rather than feed The EtherRegen from the switch, to run another Ethernet cable from an open port on the Orbi router directly to EtherRegen?

19 hours ago, lxgreen said:

I currently have this set up:

cable modem with one Ethernet output

ethernet from modem to Orbi router 

ethernet from Orbi router to Cisco switch 

ethernet from switch to EtherRegen A side

ethernet from EtherRegen B side to Dac

is there a benefit to, rather than feed The EtherRegen from the switch, to run another Ethernet cable from an open port on the Orbi router directly to EtherRegen?

Perhaps try it and see? I personally prefer having the extra switch (and in my case its SMPS power supply) out of the chain, but YMMV.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sending upsampled music from main pc using HQplayer to an Intel Nuc using HQPlayer NAA. My dac is capable of 1.536m pcm playback. 

I found that if I listened to MQA music upsampled to 1.536m pcm sent to nuc (naa) I would get short stops/gaps in the music every 20 to 25 seconds (regular and consistent). However, non MQA music did not have any issues (these were upsampled to 1.4112M). 

I spent days trying to troubleshoot this, and turns out the problem is with the ER B side port. 

If I remove the ER from the chain, I get playback with no issues at 1.536M.
If I connect ER to nuc (NAA) using only the A side ports, playback with no issues.
If I connect ER to nuc using ethernet cable from the B side port, I get the problem of gaps/stops in music.

Must be something to do with the B side port on the EtherRegen which is limited to 100mbps transmission rate.

Am relieved I found out what the issue was. Now to consider if I want the ER or I want 1.536m pcm playback.

There is also another possibility, we have found that NAA can do weird things if the port on the computer that is running HQP is gigbit, but a switch along the way converts to 100M (such as the ER) flow control is turned off and problems in playback occur. What seems to be happening is HQP sees it is connected to a gigbit port so it turns off flow control and sends data out in high speed bursts. But with a gig to 100M switch in the path the 100M side can't keep up with the that high speed burst, data is lost, and since flow control is turned off it can't tell HQP to slow it down.

IF this is what is happening you might be able to fix it by putting a 100M max switch between the HQP computer and the A side of the ER. That way HQP sees it is connected to a 100M port and sends the data out slowly so it doesn't have a problem when it gets to the 100M port on the ER.

John S.

1 hour ago, Roasty said:

I am sending upsampled music from main pc using HQplayer to an Intel Nuc using HQPlayer NAA. My dac is capable of 1.536m pcm playback. 

I found that if I listened to MQA music upsampled to 1.536m pcm sent to nuc (naa) I would get short stops/gaps in the music every 20 to 25 seconds (regular and consistent). However, non MQA music did not have any issues (these were upsampled to 1.4112M). 

I spent days trying to troubleshoot this, and turns out the problem is with the ER B side port. 

If I remove the ER from the chain, I get playback with no issues at 1.536M.
If I connect ER to nuc (NAA) using only the A side ports, playback with no issues.
If I connect ER to nuc using ethernet cable from the B side port, I get the problem of gaps/stops in music.

Must be something to do with the B side port on the EtherRegen which is limited to 100mbps transmission rate.

Am relieved I found out what the issue was. Now to consider if I want the ER or I want 1.536m pcm playback.

Hi Roasty,

if you upsample to Dsd 512 or even higher looking at specs Dac what happens than?

Ps. HqPlayer designer has a clear preference for DSD instead PCM  (me too )

Can this issue be solved  within HQp? We need to ask Jussy about this.Instead of an additional 

switch.

I do have sometimes micro pops but suspected   that DIETPI in case of the Allo Usbridge Signature was or is the Root cause?

We learn every day!

Very best regards, Andreas

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

1 hour ago, JohnSwenson said:

IF this is what is happening you might be able to fix it by putting a 100M max switch between the HQP computer and the A side of the ER. That way HQP sees it is connected to a 100M port and sends the data out slowly so it doesn't have a problem when it gets to the 100M port on the ER.

John S.

I have the HQPlayer PC in another room, then NUC NAA in lounge. 

Lounge: ethernet > Gigabit switch > ER a port > B port to Nuc NAA

So u suggest to try putting a 100M max switch in between the lounge Gigabit switch and ER? 

I gotta look around.. Haha I don't think I have a max 100M switch in the house.. 

29 minutes ago, ambre said:

Hi Roasty,

if you upsample to Dsd 512 or even higher looking at specs Dac what happens than?

Ps. HqPlayer designer has a clear preference for DSD instead PCM  (me too )

Can this issue be solved  within HQp? We need to ask Jussy about this.Instead of an additional 

switch.

I do have sometimes micro pops but suspected   that DIETPI in case of the Allo Usbridge Signature was or is the Root cause?

We learn every day!

Very best regards, Andreas

Hi Andreas.

No issue with DSD512 at all.

Only have issues with highest rate of pcm (1.536m). I did bring up this issue in the Roon Community hqplayer thread. Jussi did not reply to this particular problem, but he has helped me out on other issues before. 

1 hour ago, Roasty said:

Hi Andreas.

No issue with DSD512 at all.

Only have issues with highest rate of pcm (1.536m). I did bring up this issue in the Roon Community hqplayer thread. Jussi did not reply to this particular problem, but he has helped me out on other issues before. 

Hi Roasty,

that was before Uptone did abovementioned statement concerning the wonderful EtherRegen.

Maybe we can do something in network settings Os Apple??

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

5 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

There is also another possibility, we have found that NAA can do weird things if the port on the computer that is running HQP is gigbit, but a switch along the way converts to 100M (such as the ER) flow control is turned off and problems in playback occur. What seems to be happening is HQP sees it is connected to a gigbit port so it turns off flow control and sends data out in high speed bursts. But with a gig to 100M switch in the path the 100M side can't keep up with the that high speed burst, data is lost, and since flow control is turned off it can't tell HQP to slow it down.

John S.

Or, if the HQP system runs on an OS allowing one to set the speed of the NIC, setting it to 100 Mbps should be fine. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

9 hours ago, Roasty said:

I have the HQPlayer PC in another room, then NUC NAA in lounge. 

Lounge: ethernet > Gigabit switch > ER a port > B port to Nuc NAA

9 hours ago, Roasty said:

I did bring up this issue in the Roon Community hqplayer thread. Jussi did not reply to this particular problem, but he has helped me out on other issues before. 

We often suggest that Roon users try to directly connect whatever is their Roon Core server (and sometimes their NAS) directly to an 'A' side port of the EtherREGEN. Sometimes having the Core server (or the music data) too far upstream (on other switches, etc.) can cause problems for the Roon RAAT protocol. Usually this is with regards to Roon Bridge or NAA endpoints disappearing momentarily (or semi-permanently depending upon endpoint and the full chain) because Roon is checking constantly to see that the endpoint is still there, and a bit of extra latency can fool it into thinking the endpoint is gone.

We have also seen issues at high sample rates with multiple switches while Roon is also doing a lot of its metadata and indexing stuff.

Some combination of either John Swenson's above suggestion or my suggestion for more direct to EtherREGEN 'A'-side connections are likely to solve the issue for most people. B| 

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

We often suggest that Roon users try to directly connect whatever is their Roon Core server (and sometimes their NAS) directly to an 'A' side port of the EtherREGEN.  

OK this will be tough as the Roon Core pc is in another room. Unless, I get another ER for the other room? 

43 minutes ago, Roasty said:

She said "u know what, I really don't care" and then walked off to make a snack. 

Tried something similar with my wife years ago.  She could hear the changes immediately and picked the same cables I had wanted.  But...let's just say that was the last time we did that because she found it meaningless and, I'm sure, questioned my sanity.

You are not alone!  :)  Poor audiophile wives.  They put up with a lot.  Hope you can get the eR working in your system.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

16 minutes ago, David A said:

That simply isn't their priority because they aren't fascinated by the sound of music in the way that we are. They can certainly hear the things that we hear but the differences aren't personally important to them.

You're right. These people are the best ones to ask for help when u wanna find out if your system sounds better or worse with a particular component.

They won't care about the price, build quality, how it measures, or the science or non-science behind it. But they can offer us a simple "this is good" or "this is not nice" response, which is sometimes, really just what we're looking for. 

7 hours ago, Superdad said:

We often suggest that Roon users try to directly connect whatever is their Roon Core server (and sometimes their NAS) directly to an 'A' side port of the EtherREGEN. Sometimes having the Core server (or the music data) too far upstream (on other switches, etc.) can cause problems for the Roon RAAT protocol. Usually this is with regards to Roon Bridge or NAA endpoints disappearing momentarily (or semi-permanently depending upon endpoint and the full chain) because Roon is checking constantly to see that the endpoint is still there, and a bit of extra latency can fool it into thinking the endpoint is gone.

We have also seen issues at high sample rates with multiple switches while Roon is also doing a lot of its metadata and indexing stuff.

Some combination of either John Swenson's above suggestion or my suggestion for more direct to EtherREGEN 'A'-side connections are likely to solve the issue for most people. B| 

Wireless bridges certainly break Roon if the endpoint is remotely located over the wireless bridge. I concur with your solution that placing a switch on the same side of the bridge with the Roon server and Roon endpoint on that switch is the only way I could get it to work on my LAN/WLAN.

I have now removed the need for a wireless bridge by have a long optical fibre link to the EtherREGEN.

Regards

GG