IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

Hello David. How hot is so hot? Do you have a way of measuring that? 

I found readings of ~114F max. I made "aggressive" mods and I lowered the temp 3-5F. It fluctuates. To keep the moderator happy: These mods made no discernible difference to my ears! 😉

And BTW the honchos at UpTone have stated there is no heat issue. To me, it seems that is indeed the case with the case.

I have not personally heard any issues with sound degradation based on fluctuations/ increases in ambient or case measurement temps. BTW: this room is below grade, so temps range from 68 to 73F. Pretty consistent year 'round, FWIW.

So how hot is "so hot" anyway?

5655E3C1-2619-4808-8C1E-DD672A37C815.jpeg

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

If I may, how do you measure the temperature?

cheers,

bernard

Room: Gik Acoustics room conditioning | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Shunyata Everest + Shunyata Sigma NR v2 power cables | Source: Mac mini with LPS running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore OpticalModule + Melco S10 + Shunyata Omega Ethernet | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro Core Infinity | Speakers: Chord Company Sarum T speaker cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1

Bernard, when I posted about temps, I used a Klein IR1 infrared thermometer.

I took a number of readings near the center of the case top. That device is +/- 4F, so not precise enough for a deep study of the subject. 

It did give me an idea of what the temps were idle, running, with modified cover, etc. which was interesting. 

I could not perceive any differences in SQ relative to temp differences. That's likely not a surprise to anyone, given the narrow range of temp fluctuations at my location.

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

I find my ER does get very hot. I have been trying it with a Paul Hynes SR4 and it produces an improvement in sound however the SR4 also gets vey warm, tried 9v and 12v on the SR. Anyone else found this problem, I had the SR running a NUC and it hardly created any heat.

Tried the ER with my HDplex 200w again not much heat produced.

5 hours ago, dctom said:

I find my ER does get very hot. I have been trying it with a Paul Hynes SR4 and it produces an improvement in sound however the SR4 also gets vey warm, tried 9v and 12v on the SR. Anyone else found this problem, I had the SR running a NUC and it hardly created any heat.

Tried the ER with my HDplex 200w again not much heat produced.

The eR runs hot not much to do about that, many have some sort of extra heatsink to keep it cooler.

I have owned two SR4 driving SOtM equipment and they do get warm to the touch but not as warm as the eR.

I have a HD Plex and that have a much bigger powersupply than a SR4 so that will run cooler with the same load.

15 minutes ago, Superdad said:

An EtherREGEN draws far less current than your NUC.

My NUC7i5BNH with Roon ROCK supplied with 12V draws 0,8A when playing music with Roon (no DSP in ROON) so in my system the NUC acctually draws the same power as my eR.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I can support this argument with my experience with the new HXPLEX 300 Watt supply, which has 4 outputs--a 12vdc which powers my er, a 19 vdc which powers my Nucleus+, and 2 variable outs which I do not use at this time.  This supply is so quite, you cannot determine if its on, and it runs very cool.  No measurements but my hand tells me its probably no more than 80 deg F--about 27 deg C.  

And btw;  it does very nice uptick in sq for the eR and Nuc+.  Very happy with it.

Thank you John for your fulsome explanation. I had a suspicion the issue might be the adjustable output feature and the voltage drop created, having read something about it in the past, not that I have any expertise in electronics!

I guess running the Nuc at 15v, nearer the max voltage (19v), the SR was running closer to optimum so generating less heat. 

On 7/31/2020 at 3:52 AM, Superdad said:

Hi: My apologies. I did not mean to be confusing. I was just in a hurry when I posted. 

It seemed to me that you questions about using the JS-2 (which I ought to help you with privately or in a JS-2 thread) were conflating AC power sockets with the DC outputs from JS-2--likely due to my wording in the User Guide.

The shortest answer I can give (while still giving enough info to be useful) is:

a) If your network endpoint is on the 'B' port of the EtherREGEN then using a single JS-2 to power both the EtherREGEN and that endpoint will somewhat defeat the isolation moat of the the EtherREGEN;

b) If your usage of the EtherREGEN has only one (network feed) connection on the 'A' side, then there is a trick you can use which will allow use of the JS-2 for both the EtherREGEN and endpoint while preserving the full isolation.  "Turn around" the EtherREGEN, running your network feed into the 'B' port, and your endpoint from one of the 'A' ports.  This works great for two reasons:

1) We went to extra trouble and expense to make the EtherREGEN symmetrical about its moat (i.e. differential clocking and reclocking and all super voltage regulation is the same both sides) just so that B>A performance would be equal to A>B. Main reason we did it was for optical endpoint users (opticalRendu), but there are other uses for B>A connection, such as multiple endpoints or issues of power supply.

2) DC power to the EtherREGEN is to its 'A' side (yes, power makes its way to the 'B' side, but via expensive isolating converters across the moat), so having the endpoint attached to an 'A' port makes it not matter that both the EtherREGEN and the endpoint are sharing a power supply (JS-2) whose two DC outputs share a common -VE/zero-volt "ground."

Please do contact me directly if you need further clarification or assistance in this matter. 

Thanks, --Alex C.

Might try this - anyone compared sonics of js-2 powered ER to lps1.2 powered ER?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

I have a HDPLEX 300W power supply that has 4 outputs.  I am using the 12 vdc for the eR and the 19 vdc (both fixed) for my Nucleus+.  Someone has suggested that this defeats much of the moat for the eR.  I thought that if the grounds were separate, that this negated that issue.  Can you tell me if the grounds are separate on this ps and if its ok to power these two devices this way?  If not familiar, how can I test this supply to see if its the case.

@bailyhill HD Plex have separated grounds.

As long as a psu even with common ground just supply the eR and stuff o  the A-side you dont defeat any isolation that the eR does between A-side and B-side.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
9 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Might try this - anyone compared sonics of js-2 powered ER to lps1.2 powered ER?

Ok, found numerous comments much further back in ER threads ... Will definitely try the reverse ER method.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

I have 3 music servers on a SOtM sNH 10G.  The SOtM sNH 10G is on the B side of the Etherregen.  The Etherregen's A side is powered by an LPS 1.2.  The LPS 1.2 is powered by a JS-2.  The JS-2 also powers one of the music servers.  Does that defeat the Moat for all of the music servers?

On 8/16/2020 at 3:03 AM, jamesg11 said:

Ok, found numerous comments much further back in ER threads ... Will definitely try the reverse ER method.

Interesting - set up ‘reverse’ ER (js-2) with endpoint out of A-side to ultraRendu (lps1.2) to isoRegen (lps1) to RME dac (js-2).

Got a hum! Pulled the Clipsal earth plug (on ER earth) from wall. No more hum. Now evaluating sonics ...

Alex, John - tech explication?

(& BTW, lps1.2 set to 7V or 9V output for isoRegen is optimum?)

4 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Interesting - set up ‘reverse’ ER (js-2) with endpoint out of A-side to ultraRendu (lps1.2) to isoRegen (lps1) to RME dac (js-2).

Got a hum! Pulled the Clipsal earth plug (on ER earth) from wall. No more hum. Now evaluating sonics ...

Alex, John - tech explication?

(& BTW, lps1.2 set to 7V or 9V output for isoRegen is optimum?)

I just got a new phono cartridge (London (decca) Super Gold) and have spent two days hunting down hums! I'm burned out on hums right now! It turns out the problem was actually magnetic field induced from the turntable (Well Tempered Record Player) motor and from the transformer in the power supply for the phono preamp. JSSG etc is good for electric field hum not magnetic. Turns out the solution is a combination of distance and 1/2 inch thick aluminum plates. (THICK aluminum is actually a very good magnetic shield for low frequency magnetic fields)

With my scrambled brain I'm having a hard time visualizing your setup. Could you please send a diagram showing all power and signal connections, I might be able to figure it out from that.

Thanks,

John S.

On 7/29/2020 at 9:01 PM, scolley said:

"Avoid powering both the EtherREGEN and your ‘B’-side endpoint from the same AC>DC supply—unless you are certain the PS outputs used do not share a common 0-volt/-VE (‘ground’/shell). If they do you will be defeating the EtherREGEN’s sophisticated isolation."

Looking at my power supplies connected to the various components of my 2 PC setup - diagram below - is it an ok configuration taking into account the the proviso quoted above? ie; all the AC/D power units including the ER are all connected to the same Furman balanced power supply.

SYSTEM CONNECTION + bs gs + z390 etherRegen.jpg

3 hours ago, dctom said:

Looking at my power supplies connected to the various components of my 2 PC setup - diagram below - is it an ok configuration taking into account the the proviso quoted above? ie; all the AC/D power units including the ER are all connected to the same Furman balanced power supply.

You are just fine! 
Our concern and admonition is with regards avoiding common DC power zero-volt/-VE “ground” domains. It is not about the AC side of things—where the transformers of the power supplies are providing some isolation.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

You are just fine! 
Our concern and admonition is with regards avoiding common DC power zero-volt/-VE “ground” domains. It is not about the AC side of things—where the transformers of the power supplies are providing some isolation.

Thanks Alex, that's good to know.

I started an optical experiment some days ago. Ubiquiti X-SFP router > EtherREGEN. Ubiquiti’s green LED lights up when both SFP’s and optical cable is connected - but no sign of network, Mac Mini and NAS-disk connected to EtherREGEN.

Here is what I use:
Ubiquiti X-SFP router (properly configured), with 5 RJ45-ports and 1 SFP-port
Ubiquiti single-mode SFP LC-modules (Model UF-SM-1G-S)
    • Blue (1310/1550nm)
    • Yellow (1550/1310nm)
7m single-mode optical cable (one Yellow and one Green end):
    • Type: LC/UPC - LC/APC

I connected (firmly) Blue SFP to Ubiquiti router and Yellow to EtherREGEN's SFP cage (firmly). Disconnected attached regular Cat5 ethernet cable. Restarted Mac Mini in order to catch up with the new connection. Went back to iMac and checked the network. No sign of either Mac Mini, UltraRendu or NAS-disk. I restarted the entire audio system and waited. Still no sign of network.

Can anyone please tell me if I use wrong SFP-modules, wrong optical cable - or both?

Here is what the EtherREGEN manual says:
“Only Gigabit LC-optical or copper interface modules are compatible with the SFP cage of the EtherREGEN. They can be SX multi-mode, LX multi-mode, or LX single-mode, as long as they are Gigabit and match what is used at the other end of the optical cable.
The modules at each end can be from different manufacturers as long as their type and mode specifications match. While some manufacturer’s switches work only with special “branded” SFP modules, that is just an ID code stored in the module. The EtherREGEN ignores this code so any Gigabit SFP module can be used regardless of manufacturer code”

Tom

My SetUp 2020-v7.pdf

UpTone JS-2 LPS x 2 > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK/JS-2 LPS) > Cisco 2960 > EtherRegen 1 (1.2 LPS) > EtherRegen 2 (1.2 LPS) > OpticalModule (JS-2 LPS) > OpticalRendu (JS-2 LPS) > Denafrips Hermes DDC (i2S) > Denafrips Pontus II R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson Tube Preamp > Denafrips Hyperion Amp > SoundLab Dynastat speakers // CABLES:  Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / Sablon Audio / Tubulus Argentus / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent