IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

I may as well kick this thread off with a question about ethernet speeds.

I have my server and endpoint bridged and I was thinking of installing my Etheregen in this bridge. I have changed my ethernet speed on this bridge to 10Mb/s and half duplex with auto negotiation turned off, with this slower speed it sounds a little more relaxed. Will the Etheregen work with these current settings? or will I need to change these settings back to full duplex and 1000Mb/s? or 100Mb/s before I install it? 

All things being equal, if I decide to use an LPS to power the ER, what would be preferable, a 7V DC which puts out 2A or 9V DC which puts out 1.5A?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

8 hours ago, Bricki said:

I'll come back to you on this in a few hours.  I honestly can not remember how we handle super-slow 10Mbps connections. EtherREGEN's 'B'-side port is 100Mbps and not 1000Mbps(Gigabit) for sure, I just don't remember if it can negotiate down to 10Mbps. I'll check with @JohnSwenson later today.

29 minutes ago, dminches said:

All things being equal, if I decide to use an LPS to power the ER, what would be preferable, a 7V DC which puts out 2A or 9V DC which puts out 1.5A?

Well the current ratings of both the 7V and 9V supplies you mention will be fine to power the EtherREGEN. And there won't be a sonic difference based on the voltage chosen. 

So if you do hear any differences between those supplies (and you might not even versus the stock SMPS we include), they will be due to differences in their design.

And differences in grounding (of the 0-volt/-VE outputs) of those supplies could be the largest factor. Please refer to page 8 of the User Guide.

Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

I'll come back to you on this in a few hours.  I honestly can not remember how we handle super-slow 10Mbps connections. EtherREGEN's 'B'-side port is 100Mbps and not 1000Mbps(Gigabit) for sure, I just don't remember if it can negotiate down to 10Mbps. I'll check with @JohnSwenson later today.

That's ok 👍. I'm in the 3rd batch, order number 9051... So I don't need an answer right away... I've made a number of server changes in the last week with audiolinux 2, so I'm going to retest with 100Mb/s and full duplex again and see if I still prefer it at 10Mb/s.

So is the A side backwards compatible with 100Mb/s or can the A side only accept gigabit?

In my current network setup, a NAS is connected to my router upstairs. An ethernet cable goes downstairs to an unmanaged switch in my music room. To the switch are connected two different renderers. 1- sonore optical module/optical rendu combo, and 2- Simaudio 780Dv2 with an internal Mind2 ethernet module . No other equipment connects to the switch.

Reading the ER documentation, I see that the ER can be operated in "backward" mode with the connection to a router on the B side, and the SFP module on the A side connected by optical cable to the OpticalRendu. The manual suggests than nothing else be connected to the A side, but I think I saw a post by @JohnSwenson where he limited this restraint to non-audio equipment. So it would not be harmful to connect also the Simaudio 780Dv2 to the A side, but no additional non-audio equipment

In short, I am hoping that using an ER, I could simplify my current setup by :

- getting rid of my unmanaged switch and replacing it by the ER

- removing the optical module and connecting to the OpticalRendu from the SFP on the A side

- connecting the Simaudio 780Dv2 to a second port of the A side

- having only those 2 audio connections to the A side, and nothing else

- running a cable from my router to the ER B side

- having all non-audio equipment (NAS, PC's, etc) connected to the router and not to the ER

Could you comment on the above setup ? Is it  a sound one ? In particular, would the 2nd audio equipment (Simaudio 780Dv2) connected to the A side benefit from the ER upstream isolation, or would it harm the SQ of the OpticalRendu ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

13 hours ago, Bricki said:

I have my server and endpoint bridged and I was thinking of installing my Etheregen in this bridge. I have changed my ethernet speed on this bridge to 10Mb/s and half duplex with auto negotiation turned off, with this slower speed it sounds a little more relaxed. Will the Etheregen work with these current settings? or will I need to change these settings back to full duplex and 1000Mb/s? or 100Mb/s before I install it? 

The A side RJ45 jacks are 10/100/1000, the A side SFP port is just 1000, The B side RJ45 is 100.

That's the way it is, there is no way to change any of that.

John S.

2 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

The A side RJ45 jacks are 10/100/1000, the A side SFP port is just 1000, The B side RJ45 is 100.

That's the way it is, there is no way to change any of that.

John S.

Excellent, thanks for that 👍... I'll change my settings to 100Mb/s before installing it

16 minutes ago, André Gosselin said:

In my current network setup, a NAS is connected to my router upstairs. An ethernet cable goes downstairs to an unmanaged switch in my music room. To the switch are connected two different renderers. 1- sonore optical module/optical rendu combo, and 2- Simaudio 780Dv2 with an internal Mind2 ethernet module . No other equipment connects to the switch.

Reading the ER documentation, I see that the ER can be operated in "backward" mode with the connection to a router on the B side, and the SFP module on the A side connected by optical cable to the OpticalRendu. The manual suggests than nothing else be connected to the A side, but I think I saw a post by @JohnSwenson where he limited this restraint to non-audio equipment. So it would not be harmful to connect also the Simaudio 780Dv2 to the A side, but no additional non-audio equipment

In short, I am hoping that using an ER, I could simplify my current setup by :

- getting rid of my unmanaged switch and replacing it by the ER

- removing the optical module and connecting to the OpticalRendu from the SFP on the A side

- connecting the Simaudio 780Dv2 to a second port of the A side

- having only those 2 audio connections to the A side, and nothing else

- running a cable from my router to the ER B side

- having all non-audio equipment (NAS, PC's, etc) connected to the router and not to the ER

Could you comment on the above setup ? Is it  a sound one ? In particular, would the 2nd audio equipment (Simaudio 780Dv2) connected to the A side benefit from the ER upstream isolation, or would it harm the SQ of the OpticalRendu ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What you are describing is probably the best way to go.  In this case most of the packets are going to the endpoints, hence crossing the moat, thus there should be little interaction between endpoints.

That is certainly how I would connect things.

John S.

On 11/10/2019 at 12:59 AM, Superdad said:

This can also be the thread for prospective EtherREGEN purchasers to ask tech questions.  

Thanks everyone!

--Alex C.

Dear Alex,

On the UpTone Audio homepage you speak of "outstanding performance" concerning the EtherREGEN (ER). You know better than me that in different chains the same new hardware can produce different results. So I have 5 questions:

1. Do you still use an SD card for MacOS?

2. Do you still employ a 2 Mac mini set-up as described in 2013?

I am curious about this as this is part of my current setup that was just completed by implementing your MMK Kit in my second Mm too -- with very good results as to SQ.

3. Does the use of 2 Mac minis still make sense when putting the ER in between the Mm server (with A+ on it, not the one with the music-HDD attached to it) and my DAC La Rosita Pi which fortunately offers me a LAN input?

4.1 Or, vice versa, is the Mm with the attached HDD redundant because of ER´s merits?

4.2 Furthermore, do we still have to make up our mind about which type of HDD/SSD (USB, Firewire, Thunderbolt, USB C) for music storage to choose soundwise?

Before placing an order I hope you can sort of wipe away the mist in front of me to get back a clear view again.

Best wishes,

Uwe

5 minutes ago, alsterfan said:

So I have 5 questions:

1. Do you still use an SD card for MacOS?

2. Do you still employ a 2 Mac mini set-up as described in 2013?

Hi Uwe:

Nice to hear from you again.  Busy days here so rather than my going into detail, I'll direct you to this post where I explain my current set up:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/38968-etherregen-the-long-development-and-active-launch-discussion-thread/?do=findComment&comment=990592

The only thing that has changed since is that I not longer even use HQ Player Embedded on the Mac mini/JS-2. I just run Roon Server Core and on the NUC endpoint now run Roon Bridge instead of NAA.

As you can read from the listening impressions which are beginning to pour in, the EtherREGEN seems to be a "universal good," even in some VERY expensive systems.

As far as my personal experience with how much on the upstream side (not the critical DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer endpoint) continues to matter, the truth is I have not had a chance to experiment (to do so I'll make my stock desktop iMac the Roon Core Server and skip the AudioLinux Mac mini/JS-2).

Best,

--Alex C.

As my post seems to got unnoticed in the shipping euphoria ;-), I'll try it here again:

Hello,

having a Raspberry and a NDX 2 I wonder what’s the best way to connect them - 1 or 2?

1)

-> A EtherREGEN B -> NDX 2
Switch 
       -> Raspberry

2)

Switch    -> 
             A EtherREGEN B -> NDX 2
Raspberry ->

Thanks a lot!

50 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I guess I don't understand what function the Raspberry Pi is serving in your chain. Your Naim NDX 2 is a network attached streamer/DAC, correct?  The important thing is that it should be fed by itself from the 'B'-side port of the EtherREGEN.

Connect the Raspberry Pi either to one of the EtherREGEN's 'A'-side ports or to your existing switch.  And have one cable going from your switch to an 'A'-side EtherREGEN port.

You are right, the NDX 2 is a streamer/DAC. The Raspberry is connected additionally to one of it's inputs for streaming sound from the TV.

So it basically doesn't matter if the Raspberry is connected to the switch or EtherREGEN's A side, right?

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, sicher said:

So it basically doesn't matter if the Raspberry is connected to the switch or EtherREGEN's A side, right?

Pretty much.  The most important thing is that the DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer endpoint (in your case that is the NDX 2 combo streamer/DAC) be attached to the 'B'-side port which is across the EtherREGEN's ADIM (Active Differential Isolation Moat).

On 11/9/2019 at 3:59 PM, Superdad said:

For EtherREGEN owners, this is the thread to discuss any issues regarding installation and usage, and to report any difficulties you might encounter.

This can also be the thread for prospective EtherREGEN purchasers to ask tech questions.  Though I do ask that you first read thoroughly the EtherREGEN web page and also look through the User Guide. There is a really good chance that your question will be answered there.

Please post all reports about what you hear (and how you have the EtherREGEN hooked up) in the Listening Impressions thread.

As for the The long development and active launch discussion thread, that can remain the place for all other EtherREGEN miscellaneous talk. Things like batches, ordering, technical discussions not related to actual use, and just general EtherREGEN-related social chatter among enthusiasts. :D

Thanks everyone!

--Alex C.

Excellent idea...was going to suggest this, but you're leading by example, Alex! 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

Hi have recieved my etherregen today and connected it up as described in the instruction booklet. All seems to be well on the A side where my Nas, router and computer server are connected, server sees the Nas and internet. However my endpoint NUC, on the B, side no longer gets an internet connection hence no ip address etc.

This is the same configuration I had previously with the basic 5 port tp-link switch which gave fully functionality to the end point. Tried restarting the computers, running Audiolinux on both machines.

Wondered if I am missing something?

5 minutes ago, dctom said:

However my endpoint NUC, on the B, side no longer gets an internet connection hence no ip address etc.

This is the same configuration I had previously with the basic 5 port tp-link switch which gave fully functionality to the end point. Tried restarting the computers, running Audiolinux on both machines.

Hi:  

So on your AudioLinux NUC, what speed do you have the network set to?  The 'B'-side port is 100Mbps only.  So if you have AL on your NUC set to 10Mbps it won't connect.  I would think that if you had nothing specifically set that the AL/NUC's port would auto-negotiate itself down from Gigabit to 100Mbps, but @elan120 this morning suggested to me that this is not the case and that you need to specifically tell AudioLinux to run the port at 100Mbps.

I too run an AL NUC on the 'B' side of my EtherREGEN, but I know that its port is set to 100Mbps.  I'd experiment for you but this morning I have to get going on all the international EtherREGENs that are to ship tomorrow. Perhaps @lmitche is around to assist.

Do let us know what you discover.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

8 minutes ago, Bernstein said:

I want to power the EtherRegen with my Keces P8. I know I should use the ground screw if I want to isolate the rest. What kind of cable / connector may I use for it?

If you wish to use the ground screw (it is not strictly necessary and you may or may not find that of benefit), then either bare wire or a small spade lug will fit fine. It is just a 6-32 screw size (about 3mm), so whatever fits will be good.

39 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi:  

So on your AudioLinux NUC, what speed do you have the network set to?  The 'B'-side port is 100Mbps only.  So if you have AL on your NUC set to 10Mbps it won't connect.  I would think that if you had nothing specifically set that the AL/NUC's port would auto-negotiate itself down from Gigabit to 100Mbps, but @elan120 this morning suggested to me that this is not the case and that you need to specifically tell AudioLinux to run the port at 100Mbps.

I too run an AL NUC on the 'B' side of my EtherREGEN, but I know that its port is set to 100Mbps.  I'd experiment for you but this morning I have to get going on all the international EtherREGENs that are to ship tomorrow. Perhaps @lmitche is around to assist.

Do let us know what you discover.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

I had not set a network  speed on the Nuc endpoint. However have gone into AL expert menu and it says the enol1 interface is degraded? Have tried to set it to 100Mps but it does not make any difference?

6 minutes ago, Superdad said:

If you wish to use the ground screw (it is not strictly necessary and you may or may not find that of benefit), then either bare wire or a small spade lug will fit fine. It is just a 6-32 screw size (about 3mm), so whatever fits will be good.

I am thinking to connect my TV and Apple TV to EtherRegen. If not: only the room core and my DigiOne signature will be connected to it (and no ground screw needed because nothing attached to interfere). 

11 minutes ago, dctom said:

I had not set a network  speed on the Nuc endpoint. However have gone into AL expert menu and it says the enol1 interface is degraded? Have tried to set it to 100Mps but it does not make any difference?

Okay, so let's back up and confirm that the 'B'-side of your EtherREGEN is functioning properly (it should be as we test every unit):

Please attach something other than your AL NUC to the 'B'-side port. Your NAS, computer whatever.  Confirm that you can move data across the moat from A>B or B>A. Please refer to page 6 of the User Guide with regards to the meanings of the LEDs on each side (the colors mean different things for A and B sides).

Let us know what is the result.  And you can try power cycling your EtherREGEN as well.