IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Oh man, don't tempt me! We are down to just 2 rolls--with a household of 4 people--and there is none to be found anywhere in our town. Even told my assistant that we are now operating on a BYOTP basis. x-D

Don't know how close the nearest Costco is, but last time we went they were enforcing a one-pack-per-membership policy, and there was plenty. (We don't buy our TP there, but for anyone who does....)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

OK getting more serious about getting in the order cue for the EtherREGEN. Question on connection scheme --- based on postings here and UpTone instructions. Here is what I am proposing -- Router/Internet/NAS (connected to main network switch) connect A side, streamer (with audio equipment) also connects A side, streamer connects to PS Audio DS via S/PDIF, B side of EtherREGEN goes to Bridge2 card in DS. Gives me best possible output to DAC/Bridge2 for playing all local/NAS music, Tidal/Qobuz, and then all other streaming services get serviced via the S/PDIF connect from streamer to DS   - question will this cause any problem or concern? Not looking to upgrade PSU, Clock, or other EtherREGEN add-ons at this time.Thanks!

I’ve got a question or two about using a JS-2 power supply with the etherRegen. If you use one JS-2 power output to power the etherRegen and would like to use the second output to power another component directly connected to the etherRegen, will it make a difference on which side of the etherRegen the secondary component is connected to as far as power supply isolation or potentially common ground paths goes?

For example, is the B-Side better isolated from the etherRegen power input so that if a JS-2 is powering the etherRegen with one output and a ultraRendu on the second output, would it be better to connect the Rendu to the A-Side and use the B-Side to connect to the rest of your network (diagram attached)?

JS-2 Power Connect.png

12 minutes ago, music2diy4 said:

For example, is the B-Side better isolated from the etherRegen power input so that if a JS-2 is powering the etherRegen with one output and a ultraRendu on the second output, would it be better to connect the Rendu to the A-Side and use the B-Side to connect to the rest of your network (diagram attached)?

You have that EXACTLY correct!  Because DC power to the EtherREGEN is to its 'A' side (the 'B' side is powered over an isolating regulator), "turning around" an EtherREGEN (running B>A) is a great way to overcome the fact that a JS-2's separately regulated outputs still share a common -VE/0-volt "ground"--allowing you to power a downstream device without defeating the EtherREGEN's special isolation.  

That's another benefit of our having gone to the extra trouble and expense to make EtherREGEN performance (data/clocking/power) symmetrical on both sides of its moat. The other two benefits being for people with more than one audio endpoint, and people who use an optical endpoint (typically opticalRendu). :D

You may then wish to use the Ground screw of the EtherREGEN as the JS-2's output "grounds" are "floated" from AC mains ground (though we of course ground the chassis and center shield of the transformer for safety).

2 hours ago, music2diy4 said:

JS-2 Power Connect.png

This is just another reason for needing 2x js-2s!

You still gotta power the dac &, of course, the item missing from above, the isoRegen.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

My ER will be arriving Wednesday 4/8, thanks Uptone/Alex for being on time with shipment.

I would like to confirm connection of ER to my HT setup.  The internet CAT6A into the room is at the back of the room, but my audio systems is in the front.

Current: Internet CAT6A from wall->Cisco 2960G--3 feet CAT7>ASUS wifi router, 3 feet CAT7 to A/V receiver, 3 feet CAT7 to ApplTV.

|____35ft CAT 8->Lumin U1 Mini

With the ER coming, should I

1.  replace the Cisco with ER, plug cables from wall/ASUS wifi router/AV receiver/ApplTV to the A side, and running from the B side 35ft CAT8  to the Lumin

or 

2. insert the ER right before the Lumin, connecting 35ft CAT8 from Cisco to the A side of ER and 3ft cable on the B side to Lumin?

I plan to power the ER with LPS 1.2.

Thanks

8 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

of course, the item missing from above, the isoRegen.

In my system adding the EtherRegen made clear that the ultraRendu sounded better without the isoRegen (powered with lps1.2). YMMV, and it was not always super clear so do experiment.

17 hours ago, Superdad said:

You have that EXACTLY correct!  Because DC power to the EtherREGEN is to its 'A' side (the 'B' side is powered over an isolating regulator), "turning around" an EtherREGEN (running B>A) is a great way to overcome the fact that a JS-2's separately regulated outputs still share a common -VE/0-volt "ground"--allowing you to power a downstream device without defeating the EtherREGEN's special isolation.  

That's another benefit of our having gone to the extra trouble and expense to make EtherREGEN performance (data/clocking/power) symmetrical on both sides of its moat. The other two benefits being for people with more than one audio endpoint, and people who use an optical endpoint (typically opticalRendu). :D

You may then wish to use the Ground screw of the EtherREGEN as the JS-2's output "grounds" are "floated" from AC mains ground (though we of course ground the chassis and center shield of the transformer for safety).

As a consequence of this turn around setup, wouldn't your "pipe" from the house network now be limited to 100 Mbit/s coming through the switch? Might not be an issue for just audio, but maybe other data transfers.

I'm soon changing to the "standard" way with a JS-2 powering a NUC on the A side and the eR, and will use the ground screw. 

16 hours ago, hpfish said:

2. insert the ER right before the Lumin?                                                             

That has been the guidance provided in various eR threads (if the setup allows).  

Grimm Audio MU2 > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

17 hours ago, hpfish said:

My ER will be arriving Wednesday 4/8, thanks Uptone/Alex for being on time with shipment.

On time? More like 10 days ahead of schedule thank you! :D

17 hours ago, hpfish said:

1.  replace the Cisco with ER, plug cables from wall/ASUS wifi router/AV receiver/ApplTV to the A side, and running from the B side 35ft CAT8  to the Lumin

or 

2. insert the ER right before the Lumin, connecting 35ft CAT8 from Cisco to the A side of ER and 3ft cable on the B side to Lumin?                              

Either way SHOULD work. But you will want to try both ways.  Sometimes the Lumin endpoints act funny when reawakening--depending upon upstream switch connections.  I am assuming you are using Lumin's player s/w system and not Roon.

Do report back once you have had a chance to experiment with the EtherREGEN in your system.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

My system is connected like this: HDD>USB cable>router (Fritzbox)>LAN cable>FMC>fiber cable>ER (SFP in)>LAN cable (on ER´s B-Side>Mediaplayer

Now I'd like to exchange the HDD by a NAS (Synology). Question (I don't know, wether this has been asked before): Shall I just replace the HDD by the NAS or would there be any advantage to connect it directly via LAN-cable to one of the empty ER A-side´s ports? Or will it not matter?

I have my Synology NAS on the LAN because I use it as a NAS and network server. Where it lives on the LAN is not that important in my experience but I did get a betterment of sound by changing to flat cat-6 Ethernet cables on the Synology box. That was a year or more before I got the ER, by the way.  If you want to try the Synology on the "A" side of the ER, then feel free to do so. It might be best there for you or, like in my experience, the LAN location is of little concern.

Regards

GG

Very interesting idea about using the ER to clean up video. Makes sense. Not sure about sharing it with my audio system though, which is independent of my TV.

Currently I have two inputs to my ER "A" side: 1- LAN from small Cisco switch and  2- music server with local file storage. "B" side goes out to NUC Roon endpoint.

My Cisco switch has one connection to the rest of the LAN, one to a Roku, one to an Apple TV, and one to an Apple router in order to get better WiFi in the basement, but not placed near or used for audio except to use Roon remote on iPhone/iPad.

So I might try connecting my Roku to the A side. I can see that this could benefit video but I am concerned that the Roku SMPS might then pollute my music server. I guess I can just try and report back 🙂

Thoughts?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Suggestion for people daisy-chaining EtherRegens: try it symmetrically, connecting the main network to the B side of the first EtherRegen and your NAS/Nucleus or whatever to the A side, as well as the second EtherRegen, connecting to the A side of the second EtherRegen in the "normal" manner. Reckon it makes a difference? I've only just had the idea and done it, but things are already encouraging so far.

45 minutes ago, Ponkbutler said:

Suggestion for people daisy-chaining EtherRegens: try it symmetrically, connecting the main network to the B side of the first EtherRegen and your NAS/Nucleus or whatever to the A side, as well as the second EtherRegen, connecting to the A side of the second EtherRegen in the "normal" manner. Reckon it makes a difference? I've only just had the idea and done it, but things are already encouraging so far.

Hmmmm! That turns out to have been one of those instantly disposable ideas, at least in my system 😉 Better ->A-B->A-B->

13 hours ago, Ponkbutler said:

Hmmmm! That turns out to have been one of those instantly disposable ideas, at least in my system 😉 Better ->A-B->A-B->

Are you putting devices e.g. NAS, on the first "A" with the main network or the second "A"? Or has there been no difference?

3 hours ago, jjraffin said:

Are you putting devices e.g. NAS, on the first "A" with the main network or the second "A"? Or has there been no difference?

On the first. Daisy chaining like this brings a greater sense of space and ease And ver slightly more texture. It’s not a massive difference from 1 EtherRegen but is very seductive. Turning the 1st EtherRegen around dulled the difference slightly though making cymbals, for example, stand out more. In the end I definitely preferred AB-AB which was more alive. MidnightRambler, who has a SoTM clock and Sean Jacob LPS on his EtherRegen  reports that there is no gain from daisychaining in that setup.

On 4/11/2020 at 10:01 AM, mourip said:

Very interesting idea about using the ER to clean up video. Makes sense. Not sure about sharing it with my audio system though, which is independent of my TV.

Currently I have two inputs to my ER "A" side: 1- LAN from small Cisco switch and  2- music server with local file storage. "B" side goes out to NUC Roon endpoint.

My Cisco switch has one connection to the rest of the LAN, one to a Roku, one to an Apple TV, and one to an Apple router in order to get better WiFi in the basement, but not placed near or used for audio except to use Roon remote on iPhone/iPad.

So I might try connecting my Roku to the A side. I can see that this could benefit video but I am concerned that the Roku SMPS might then pollute my music server. I guess I can just try and report back 🙂

I tested connecting my Roku and my Apple TV to the A side of my ER while playing music through my audio only system without either video device on. I also tested watching TV separately. In my system having the two extra ethernet connections, even with the two video devices turned off, degraded the audio. It was flatter and lacked the refinement I have come to enjoy from the ER. Video however was improved, both visually and audibly(built in speakers) from my TV, an older Pioneer Elite plasma which still holds its own for color tone and sound.

For now I will just disconnect the two ethernet cables when I listen to my stereo. Perhaps one day I will get a second ER to isolate the video but for now I have one more reason to love the ER.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System