IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

1 hour ago, lpost said:

I would replace the SFPs and be done with it.  These work great, I prefer 12dB receive attenuator on each end, but they work just fine with a few meter patch.

https://www.fs.com/products/12674.html

https://www.fs.com/products/48527.html

https://www.fs.com/products/68297.html  - 5m is a nice minimum for these SFP made to shoot 10km.  

Thanks! With some more tests, looks like the issue is not with the sfp. See the previous post.

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

Did you buy a matching one for the other end as well as a single-mode fiber cable? Because the transceiver he linked to is a single-mode type.

No. I have returned to the one I was using before. The one recommended to use with the oM. No complains from my side. The sound is wonderful. I just jumped on the new one because some audio fellows recommend it. But probably  I should have ordered 2...  🤭

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

5 hours ago, Dev said:

Can you let us know what worked ? there are number of folks using this transceiver without issues. in fact I got the link from this thread only.

This one!

image.jpg

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

26 minutes ago, Dev said:

Sorry, more confusion now.....

I connected a Linux pc to the A side port and it seems to work just fine. So apparently it doesn't appear to be SFP port issue on either side that I thought earlier. From inside the Linux pc I can't ping the NUC which is connected on the B side. Moving the NUC to the A side and it works just fine.

What does that tell ? issue on the B port ? I will do more tests.

Just to check, because I had an issue connecting to B side. I has Euphony set to eth0 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg off, I had to change to 100, as B side is only 100mbs. 

2 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Just to check, because I had an issue connecting to B side. I has Euphony set to eth0 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg off, I had to change to 100, as B side is only 100mbs. 

I have not set anything in Euphony. When it works, I see that the link negotiated to 100Mbps which it should. So I am thinking it should be fine but maybe it worth setting it explicitly.

Does eR 'B' port supports auto-negotiation at all ? If it doesn't then that's probably the real issue I am facing....hopefully 🙃

24 minutes ago, Dev said:

Does eR 'B' port supports auto-negotiation at all ?

It should, but I set it to 100 running AL since day 1 and so far so good.

One thing I discover running AL on both server and endpoint is, I set server to static IP and DHCP on endpoint and change the default name on endpoint, with this combination, it has been working nicely without any issue.  Setting server to static IP is more convenient for me to run HQPe via remote desktop, but it is not a necessity.  Not sure how all these are transferable to Euphony, so hopefully there are some ideas here to help troubleshoot your issue.

24 minutes ago, Dev said:

Does eR 'B' port supports auto-negotiation at all ? If it doesn't then that's probably the real issue I am facing....hopefully 🙃

Hi Dev:

The 'B' port of the EtherREGEN is 100Mbps only and it negotiates to that only. If I am not mistaken (@JohnSwenson would correct me), all Ethernet auto-negotiation occurs at 10Mbps before both sides settle to agreed up rate.

I received your PM. Will be asking you for a system diagram as it is too much work for me to go back through all your posts to figure out your whole set up.

Also, for anyone looking for support:

Please do not send support inquires via the AudiophileStyle messaging system. Because:

a) It is not a good system for support replies and tracking;

b) I can not tell from forum names who you actually are, where you are located, or anything.

Please use the Contact Us form on our web page--or reply to any e-mail notice you ever received from us. It goes right to me e-mail box and once I reply you will have my private e-mail address so that we can correspond normally. It really is so much better for all.  Thanks! :D

8 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi Dev:

The 'B' port of the EtherREGEN is 100Mbps only and it negotiates to that only. If I am not mistaken (@JohnSwenson would correct me), all Ethernet auto-negotiation occurs at 10Mbps before both sides settle to agreed up rate.

No, the ethernet does not start "auto-negotiating" at 10Mbps. That's the default speed which both link partner (when the L1 link comes up) starts and then negotiates both the speed and duplex - the lowest of any link partner is the speed and duplex that is finally settled on both sides - all this assumes both the link partner is capable of auto-negotiating.

I understand that the eR's B side speed is 100Mbps but does the MAC support auto-negotiation feature ? That's the key question. If it doesn't, then the link partner should set a default speed and duplex and also set auto-negotiation to off. On the other hand if it does, then the partner will automatically negotiate speed to 100Mbps and duplex to full (assuming the eR does as well).

On 2/29/2020 at 11:20 AM, esmit said:

Now it looks as if there is a connection between your Netgear and the Mac mini.

Hi esmitat first startup, I couldn't "see" through the ER, meaning my WD NAS does not auto-load to the desktop on Mac Mini. And since Mini is "headless", I need to manually mount WD NAS via screen sharing from another Mac on the network. I installed ER according to UpTone specs, I think (see sketch). I thought that using WiFi were more harmful compared to a wired network connection...
Tom

UpTone JS-2 LPS x 2 > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK/JS-2 LPS) > Cisco 2960 > EtherRegen 1 (1.2 LPS) > EtherRegen 2 (1.2 LPS) > OpticalModule (JS-2 LPS) > OpticalRendu (JS-2 LPS) > Denafrips Hermes DDC (i2S) > Denafrips Pontus II R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson Tube Preamp > Denafrips Hyperion Amp > SoundLab Dynastat speakers // CABLES:  Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / Sablon Audio / Tubulus Argentus / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent

13 hours ago, Frojo said:

Is this configuration using a bridged Ethernet connection? In which case the EtheRegen is only ‘filtering’ the nas, which must be incredibly noisy for the improvements achieved.

i am confused...

Hi Frojousing a Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter, was my setup from before having the ER, and I didn't worry to change it. As far as I can see, the alternative is to use WiFi for service and maintaining the Mini and not use Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter (?)
Tom

UpTone JS-2 LPS x 2 > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK/JS-2 LPS) > Cisco 2960 > EtherRegen 1 (1.2 LPS) > EtherRegen 2 (1.2 LPS) > OpticalModule (JS-2 LPS) > OpticalRendu (JS-2 LPS) > Denafrips Hermes DDC (i2S) > Denafrips Pontus II R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson Tube Preamp > Denafrips Hyperion Amp > SoundLab Dynastat speakers // CABLES:  Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / Sablon Audio / Tubulus Argentus / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent

Hi Superdad,

Received my ER  Thursday. Everything works fine. Very good sound etc....

But when I want to connect my LG Oled 65 inch with ethernet  the ER on the A-side I am not able to establish a connection.

A soon as I use the old switch again and/or Apple Airport Express (with Ethernet out)  I have immediately a connection. 

Ps. Audio and  Television are in the same cabinet. Do I need two switches in parallel ?

Regards, Andreas

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

I think your Mac mini should be able to access the wider network through the EtherRegen making your thunderbolt connection redundant. Have you made the necessary changes to your ‘network’ connections in ‘system preferences’ on the Mac mini?

mark

5 minutes ago, ambre said:

Received my ER  Thursday. Everything works fine. Very good sound etc....

But when I want to connect my LG Oled 65 inch with ethernet  the ER on the A-side I am not able to establish a connection?

Hi Andreas:

It should work. I too have an LG OLED TV (not 65”!) and have no problem connecting it to an EtherREGEN.

Please post a diagram of your set up and maybe we will spot something.

2 hours ago, Frojo said:

I think your Mac mini should be able to access the wider network through the EtherRegen making your thunderbolt connection redundant. Have you made the necessary changes to your ‘network’ connections in ‘system preferences’ on the Mac mini?

mark

Hi Mark, thanks for commenting. Wider network - please elaborate.
I have done the network setting the lazy way - DHCP auto.
This morning I received some comments on the same subject, and I removed the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter and plugged B-port ER to the regular Ethernet port on Mac Mini. Turned on WiFi on Mini for being able to access it from another Mac in my office.
Network is not my force, so I would appreciate some advice 🙂
Tom

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Andreas:

It should work. I too have an LG OLED TV (not 65”!) and have no problem connecting it to an EtherREGEN.

Please post a diagram of your set up and maybe we will spot something.

Hi Superdad,

I have a LG OLED65C8PLA. Attached my diagram.

stroomschema_ab2.pdf

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

Hi everybody, I received my EtherRegen this week and have been enjoying it with the stock ps but am looking at trying my Astron SL-11r with it. I’ve adjusted the voltage to 12v but before I hook it up I just wanted to make sure everything else associated with the Astron is agreeable. Anything to be concerned about? Thanks

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/asr-sl-11r

Sonore microRendu>Lampi L4G5>Herron VTSP 3a r03>Herron M1a monos>Vapor Cirrus Blacks

6 hours ago, TwinPeak said:

Hi Mark, thanks for commenting. Wider network - please elaborate.
I have done the network setting the lazy way - DHCP auto.
This morning I received some comments on the same subject, and I removed the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter and plugged B-port ER to the regular Ethernet port on Mac Mini. Turned on WiFi on Mini for being able to access it from another Mac in my office.
Network is not my force, so I would appreciate some advice 🙂
Tom

I would turn off the wifi - only utilize the ethernet connection to the B side of the ER. Other wifi devices on the network should be able to access the mini.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
1 hour ago, jcn3 said:

I would turn off the wifi - only utilize the ethernet connection to the B side of the ER. Other wifi devices on the network should be able to access the mini.

@TwinPeak: Jcn3 is correct.  Your should have only the one 'B' port cable as network connection to your Mac mini.  Turn off wi-fi and remove the Thunderbolt>Ethernet adapter. You will still have control access to the computer.

4 hours ago, t_ram said:

Hi everybody, I received my EtherRegen this week and have been enjoying it with the stock ps but am looking at trying my Astron SL-11r with it. I’ve adjusted the voltage to 12v but before I hook it up I just wanted to make sure everything else associated with the Astron is agreeable. Anything to be concerned about? Thanks.

That should be fine. :)

6 hours ago, ambre said:

I have a LG OLED65C8PLA. Attached my diagram.

That looks fine. I do not know why you are having trouble with connecting it on the 'A' side of the EtherREGEN. My LG OLED connects right away.  Did you try a different cable and also check the settings in the TV? Power off fully and turn on again?

20 hours ago, Dev said:

I understand that the eR's B side speed is 100Mbps but does the MAC support auto-negotiation feature?

Hi Dev:

The ‘B’ port of the EtherREGEN absolutely does auto-negotiate (but only to 100Mbps) just fine with hundreds of computers, streamers, renderers, and Ethernet input DACs. Some (by no means all) Euphony users have reported difficulty similar to yours, as have a couple of Lumin users (though again, most Lumin users have no issue).

We do not believe that this is a hardware issue or any lack of compliance on the EtherREGEN’s part. When we have time we may drop a note to Euphony and Lumin, though I suppose they would want to know exact version or firmware revisions to research. We could even send them an EtherREGEN to test.

You indicated in your e-mail to me that you now got it working stably by disabling auto-negotiation on your Euphony endpoint. This seems backwards, but if it works then no matter.  Still, it does point out that there is something odd with Euphony. As mentioned, I and others have zero trouble with AudioLinux installations, and while @austinpop had some initial issue with EtherREGEN and his Euphony endpoint, he solve it in the opposite way than you did.  He wrote to me:

"Just a quick follow up. I think the issue with auto negotiation is on the Euphony OS end. I played with some settings, and it looks like using the term "autoneg on" is not sufficient to re-enable auto-negotiation if you've had it off. You have to remove the whole option string from the expert settings (and possibly reboot) to get it to behave properly."

Euphony--as a commercial product, and one for which detailed release notes are not published AFAIK--is a bit of a black box. But even if it were open, I am not a Linux guru, and while @JohnSwenson is a Linux maven, there is not the time for us to puzzle out every OS network negotiation or sleep-state issue. Hopefully, between Euphony support and its users, a clear and reliable solution will be discovered and presented.

Your satisfaction with the EtherREGEN (or any UpTone product) is important to us. And you know that if a satisfactory solution to your connectivity issue is not found, we will cheerfully refund your purchase (even within a reasonable period beyond our usual 30-day trial).

But since you stated in your e-mail that it is working solidly now, I guess we are all good. B|

You wrote:  "I powered on/off eR, disconnected the cables couple of times and the NUC is able to connect to the network every time."

Sounds good to me. Hopefully it SOUNDS good to you too! 

Thanks and regards,

--Alex C.

I received my ER on Wednesday 2/26. The ER comes well-packaged in a nice blue box and so everything was in excellent condition upon arrival. Included with the ER and the power supply is a very nice 8-page User Guide as well as a Quick Start page. 

Since I did not believe I'd be able to put the ER in the system right away, I just put it in the place where I was going to install it and powered it up but did not connect the network cables (checked with Alex to be sure this was OK, to which he replied it was). Luckily on 2/27 I was able to drop the ER in the system. It connected immediately and from the first song you could hear a nice improvement. By the next day it was much better. I will at some point comment on the other thread about SQ but suffice it to say that there is a remarkable increase in SQ and there's no need to take it out of the system to A/B it so to speak. It just does what so many others have already said. I have a highly resolving system and so for the ER to have such a positive effect is a real treat.

My system is very simple.

ATT fiber optic from pole to house, fiber under house to entry point and to the router inside the house. Monoprice Cat 6 from router to the "A" side of the ER, then Monoprice Cat 6 form the "B" side to a 10-15' run of Cat5e under the house to my audio room. Monoprice Cat 6 to Aurender N10. I've tried Supra Cat8+ before the ER but liked the Monoprice better, go figure. I'll probably try the 8+ with the ER, but not until it's burned-in in maybe 2-4 weeks.

Alex and Uptone Audio, the ER does a pretty amazing job of cleaning up noise on the fiber optic line coming into my home. Can't wait to hear what I find in 2-4 weeks when the ER is burned in.

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

Burn-In...

Yes. Do not underestimate burn-in with the ER. I left music running via Roon for the last three days continuously.

On day one I was unprepared for the harshness it introduced. It triggered a relapse of my Audiophilia Nervosa.

On day two I could see potential. ~24 hours

On day three I was thrilled. Audiophilia Nervosa back in remission. ~50 hours.

Music is still playing non-stop to DAC without pre and amp on...

I have the B side going to my NUC with Bluejeans cat6. My music server and LAN connection go to the A side.

I do have a Mutec Ref10 feeding it. My Audiolinux NUC auto-negotiated with the B side perfectly, having run at 1G previously. I disabled the bridge on my JCAT Femto server NIC as recommended.

Even if it did not improve from today I would say that it was well worth it and perhaps even a highend bargain.

Thanks Superdad!

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 hour ago, mourip said:

Burn-In...

Yes. Do not underestimate burn-in with the ER. I left music running via Roon for the last three days continuously.

On day one I was unprepared for the harshness it introduced. It triggered a relapse of my Audiophilia Nervosa.

On day two I could see potential. ~24 hours

On day three I was thrilled. Audiophilia Nervosa back in remission. ~50 hours.

Music is still playing non-stop to DAC without pre and amp on...

I have the B side going to my NUC with Bluejeans cat6. My music server and LAN connection go to the A side.

I do have a Mutec Ref10 feeding it. My Audiolinux NUC auto-negotiated with the B side perfectly, having run at 1G previously. I disabled the bridge on my JCAT Femto server NIC as recommended.

Even if it did not improve from today I would say that it was well worth it and perhaps even a highend bargain.

Thanks Superdad!

Great to read your early experience P.

Being the ex-user that you are, I wonder if you are curious about the potential of the eR when it is located between the stored music files and the DDC endpoint when the latter is a RedNet box?

In my system I noticed the "extra signalness" of the eR immediately (best summary expression I can think of although I realise it's better understood as "noise" mitigation) - although yes the music had edges of the bright kind as well as the focus kind for a little while. The eR improved day-by-day for a couple of weeks (playing constantly).

Your amps get stood down periodically? Well there'll be a confound (warming up), but your ears will be used to that.

I'd sure be interested to know what your ears are telling you at 2-300 hrs (eR listening impressions thread?)