IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

10 hours ago, Superdad said:

Who told you THAT? It is incorrect.

The BNC shell of the external clock input is part of the ‘B’ side power/data/clock domain. 

The Ground screw is attached to the ‘A’ domain plane—and is used to provide a path to “drain” away high-source-impeadance leakage that may be trying to enter on ‘A’ side copper ports. That is all.

All of this is covered well on page 8 of the EtherREGEN User GuideB|

As far as I recall, John S. mentioned the external clock vis-a-vis grounding in one of his posts. Perhaps I misunderstood it.

My rule is to ground the ER if I have any device on the A side other than the incoming stream. $3 cable, set and forget. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

Could someone enlighten me? 

If the EtherRegen is used primarily for audio, and the B port is the one that is used to connect to your endpoint/pc, why would it matter if there are leakages between ports on the A side? 

If I have an ethernet cable from wall to an A port, and a NAS into another A port, and and the ER is not grounded, would the leakage between the two A ports affect what comes out of the B port? 

If anyone thinking about custom LPS build and going to use rail for EtherRegen, then consider below. 

As part of Sean Jacobs LPS build, I have 1 rail powering the EtherRegen.

Sean implemented small switch on the back of your PSU to allow the 0V of the EtherREGEN DC output to either be connected to Earth, or left floating. That will let you easily use it with other devices if desired. 

3 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

If anyone thinking about custom LPS build and going to use rail for EtherRegen, then consider below. 

As part of Sean Jacobs LPS build, I have 1 rail powering the EtherRegen.

Sean implemented small switch on the back of your PSU to allow the 0V of the EtherREGEN DC output to either be connected to Earth, or left floating. That will let you easily use it with other devices if desired. 

Which LPS did you get? Has it made a big difference to the ER? I have a DC3 on order.... We discussed the switch several months ago...

On 3/18/2020 at 9:31 PM, Roasty said:

If the EtherRegen is used primarily for audio, and the B port is the one that is used to connect to your endpoint/pc, why would it matter if there are leakages between ports on the A side? 

Any thoughts on the @Roasty post? 

I'm interested in what @Superdad has to say on this because I'm also experimenting moving my Innuos to the A-Side with the thought of moving the noisier device pre-moat. However I see conflicting information on this and I'm not sure it is wise.

From a theoretical standpoint is it best to have ER setup as:

1. Network > ER (A Side) > ER (B Side) > Server > DAC    OR
  2. Network > ER (A Side) Server (A Side) > DAC (B Side) - resulting in multiple copper connections on the A Side?

Thank you

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

25 minutes ago, Ponkbutler said:

Which LPS did you get? Has it made a big difference to the ER? I have a DC3 on order.... We discussed the switch several months ago...

I got 7 rail custom build from Sean, All rails on all devices make a difference. I suggest if using a DC3 for EtherRegen ask him to put the 0v switch on it. 

37 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

, All rails on all devices make a difference. I suggest if using a DC3 for EtherRegen ask him to put the 0v switch on it. 

I’m not sure what you mean by all rails on all devices. I’ve ordered a 3 rail DC3 which is apparently the max for that case/design. The switch is certainly a good idea for easy comparisons.

1 minute ago, Ponkbutler said:

I’m not sure what you mean by all rails on all devices. I’ve ordered a 3 rail DC3 which is apparently the max for that case/design. The switch is certainly a good idea for easy comparisons.

The DC3 is max 3 rails, but Sean will build you custom LPS if need. I have my CPU/ATX/EtherRegen/JCAT Ethernet/Pink Faun USB card running from 1 LPS. 

1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

The DC3 is max 3 rails, but Sean will build you custom LPS if need. I have my CPU/ATX/EtherRegen/JCAT Ethernet/Pink Faun USB card running from 1 LPS. 

Wow! Thanks for clarifying. And is that in a DC3 case or a custom larger case?

How does the performance of the ER change when powered by Sean's PSU vs. the stock power supply?

38 minutes ago, Ponkbutler said:

Wow! Thanks for clarifying. And is that in a DC3 case or a custom larger case?

How does the performance of the ER change when powered by Sean's PSU vs. the stock power supply?

Much bigger case, 3 transformers inside. I hear same improvement when I added JCAT ethernet with SJ rail. So yes certainly worth doing. 

I was thinking of adding LPS to my eR and my Nucleus+.  Been running on the stock units.  Tried to order the HD Plex 200 Watt unit, with 12Vdc and 19vdc it would have been ideal for these two units .  Unfortunately out of stock (Made in Germany--pretty shut down from Covid 19).  Sean Jacobs also long lead time.  Looked at Uptone also.  Would love a dual voltage unit from Uptone.  Some have Super Caps?  JS has some cred as a result of eR.  But I did something I usually don't do, that is shop on the bay and found the EndZone units.  Bought a 12vdc@6 amps and a [email protected] amps. Units delivered last week, and sprayed down and sat for 24 hours before install.  Very nice.  There is a nice description about the features.  Not a EE so I cannot vouch for this, but at <$400 for both with shipping and duty, I felt I could always use another dc supply in my shop, so I pulled the trigger.  These units do not come with the power cable, so I am in the market for a couple of reasonably priced HQ power cables.  Anyone try the Shielded ones on Audiogon? 

The SQ uptic was nice.  I would like to add an external clock, but JS/Alex info suggests its a big upgrade at this point.  All this running on Nucleus+, Cisco 2960 cascading with eR, Meridian Ultra Dac, Krell KSA-80B, Apogee Scintilla One Ohms on Townshend Podiums, Vandersteen Sub 3's, Inakustics P3500's conditioners, and Roon.  Very revealing.  eR made a big uptic, which I thought it was pretty good to start with.  Thanks John and Alex.  Its even better.  The router, Nucleus+, Naim Unity Core into the Cisco and a single lead to the "A" side of the eR and an Audioquest Vodka from the "B Side" of the eR to the Meridian Ultra Dac.  No grounding of eR.  

And thanks for the tip--I opened up the case and the ground is connected on the IEC connector, unlike some that were mentioned on this forum.  All be safe.  Follow the regulations and lets beat Covid 19 together.  Audio is a nice diversion from the News.

42 minutes ago, bailyhill said:

These units do not come with the power cable, so I am in the market for a couple of reasonably priced HQ power cables.  Anyone try the Shielded ones on Audiogon? 

Not sure how much you want to spend, but I can recommend the Powerblack cables from Sean Jacobs (Custom Hi-Fi Cables). They made a noticeable improvement for the Nucleus and Cisco switch (when I was still using it) and for Naim gear (better than Powerlines in my opinion and for a fraction of the price)

This below I think best fits in the ‘difficulty’ category ... in this time of very difficult difficulties ...

Bought a 6 hr-used ER about 2 weeks back on the main Oz audio site (only the 2nd I’ve seen, both from same source - clue for Alex!). Yep, really looking fwd to it ...

Sat in same tracking locale for 10 days ... finally got following info out of Aust Post:

“Hi Jim,

There is an update to your enquiry

New Comment:

Hi Jim

I hope you have had a great day so far, I appreciate you taking the time to advise us that the small audio items you have been expecting to receive has not made it to you yet. My name is - - and I can certainly provide you with some information relating to this matter.

Jim, I’ve checked the scans on your article, it appears that due to some label damage or an issue with the address, the article has been caught up by our automated sorting machines. Due to the sheer volume of articles handled by these facilities on a daily basis, we do unfortunately have to wait for our machines to expel the parcel, we'll then manually sort your parcel to the correct address.

Please allow until the 27/03/20 for this item to be delivered and if not on this date please do not hesitate to let us know and we will definitely look into this matter further for you.

I hope this information has helped and you have a great day.

Regards,

Customer Care

Australia Post “

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Bummer!

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

1 hour ago, Pokey77 said:

Bummer!

Yes sir, for a week indeed it was! But now sorted & just arrived ...

... benefits of the enquiry which elicited the above reply - & then action at last ie extracted from the sorting machine merry-go-round & sent to the clear & unambiguous address on the package label. What a postal service is there for!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

On 3/19/2020 at 9:31 AM, Roasty said:

Could someone enlighten me? 

If I have an ethernet cable from wall to an A port, and a NAS into another A port, and and the ER is not grounded, would the leakage between the two A ports affect what comes out of the B port? 

Anyone have any clues on this? Sorry for quoting myself.. 

14 hours ago, Roasty said:

Anyone have any clues on this? Sorry for quoting myself.. 

alex worked very hard on the manual for the ER to answer questions like you poised.  have you read that?

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
2 hours ago, jcn3 said:

alex worked very hard on the manual for the ER to answer questions like you poised.  have you read that?

actually, yes, i have. several times. my understanding on electronics is limited.

perhaps you could help me out then, since i guess by your statement, you have understood the manual well?

lets say i don't use the power brick included with the etherregen, and i use another power supply (eg ultracaps lps 1.2 or Keces P8) which is "floating". then the A side ports are effectively not grounded correct? 

from the manual it says "Please keep in mind that all of the above regarding grounding concerns only the blocking of leakage from one RJ45 jack on the ‘A’ side to another RJ45 jack also on the 'A' side. Regardless of grounding, zero AC leakage from upstream Ethernet devices ever gets past the full active digital isolation and reclocking ADIM™—to the EtherREGEN’s 'B'-side port."

I asked in a post a few pages back that if i only used one ethernet port on A side, then it wouldnt matter if there was current leakage from that port or not, because there isnt any other port used on A side. and since B side is "clean". then i wouldnt have to ground the unit. to which Alex said this was correct.

so my question again is, assuming my ER is not grounded, and if i'm using a few A side ports together, how does/would leakage between the A side ports affect audio quality, if B side will always end up "clean" regardless.

if the answer is simple and i'm a fool for not having seen it/understood it earlier, then i apologize. like i said, my understanding on electronics and their science is limited.

13 hours ago, Superdad said:

P.S.  I am please to report that we have just finished shipping almost every outstanding EtherREGEN order--3 weeks earlier than the promised April 15th date. 

Those that receive their ER's early in this batch can probably thank the fact that @Superdad did not go skiing this week as planned 🤣

1 minute ago, ogs said:

Those that receive their ER's early in this batch can probably thank the fact that @Superdad did not go skiing this week as planned 🤣

... not at all something to laugh about! 🙄

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

have you heard anything about... 

... that "maybe" is the reason why Alex *had to* cancel his skiing holiday?

🙄

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones