IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

46 minutes ago, Roasty said:

I just bought a Keces P8 dual output lps. Using it with my EtherRegen and Intel NUC. 

Question. Do u guys ever power down your EtherRegen? And, an extension of the question would be, in addition do u guys ever power down your lps as well? 

I usually do not get more than an hour a day, if that, to listen and I have tubed pre and amp. I leave my front end powered up including my DAC...and of course the ER. My tubed equipment sounds good after ~15 minutes and remarkable after ~30 so I try to turn those on in anticipation of my listening session. Not exactly a "green" scenario but it keeps the digital circuits warmed up and stabilized to optimize my session. If I am going to be away on a trip I power everything off.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

3 hours ago, Roasty said:

Do u guys ever power down your EtherRegen? And, an extension of the question would be, in addition do u guys ever power down your lps as well? 

The JS-2 and eR are powered all the time.  The eR, in my system, takes quite a while to get back to its excellent self if powered off.  My other gear is always turned off when I'm done listening.  With the eR, JS-2 and the opticalModule (added recently), I find the warm up time for my gear is greatly reduced.  Sometimes I just turn it on and it sounds the same as when I've been listening for hours.  That is a benefit I hadn't anticipated or hoped for.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

4 hours ago, bailyhill said:

PYP

Have you posted about the opticalModule?  I am considering adding it to my setup. 

Thanks for mentioning.  Just did:  

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

If I use the EtherRegen solely for audio, ie single ethernet cable into side A, do I still need to ground the ER if using the LPS 1.2 or Keces P8? I read somewhere the leakage is only between the ports in the A side, and doesn't affect output from B side? 

If so, can someone explain in simple English how I can go about using the ground post?

7 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I don't recommend these supplies, they have the highest leakage of any supply I ever tested, MUCH higher than the one UpTone supplies with the EtherREGEN.

Moreover, the iFi iPower SMPS is and ungrounded, two-prong unit, so use of it will, in many cases, thus necessitate use of the EtherREGEN’s ground screw.

7 hours ago, Roasty said:

If I use the EtherRegen solely for audio, ie single ethernet cable into side A, do I still need to ground the ER if using the LPS 1.2 or Keces P8? I read somewhere the leakage is only between the ports in the A side, and doesn't affect output from B side? 

If so, can someone explain in simple English how I can go about using the ground post?

Your understanding of it is perfectly correct. :) If you have only a single connection to the ‘A’ side, then you have no need to use the ground screw—even if you are powering with a “floated” output supply.

11 hours ago, Roasty said:

connect these two:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VSDTVVX/

https://www.amazon.com/StaticTek-Adapter-Universal-Connection-Unbreakable/dp/B071J61CSV

then connect the spade to the eR (see eR instructions) and connect the plug to any outlet.  listen for a few days, then unplug and listen for a while.  can also try different outlets.  

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Moreover, the iFi iPower SMPS is and ungrounded, two-prong unit, so use of it will, in many cases, thus necessitate use of the EtherREGEN’s ground screw.

How do I connect from the IFI supply to the ER ground screw?  Thanks 

2 minutes ago, hpfish said:

How do I connect from the IFI supply to the ER ground screw?

You connect the ground screw on the eR to protective earth in the outlet that you have pluged the iFi supply in. The simplest way is to use a grounded plug that you just connect a wire to ground in and connect that wire to the ground screw on the eR and plug it in besides the ifi.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
9 hours ago, Roasty said:

I found that grounding my LPS 1.2-powered EtherRegen did make a noticeable improvement. It was certainly cheap and easy enough to try. 

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

7 hours ago, Superdad said:

If you have only a single connection to the ‘A’ side, then you have no need to use the ground screw—even if you are powering with a “floated” output supply.

Thanks for confirming and clarifying!

7 hours ago, PYP said:

connect these two:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VSDTVVX/

https://www.amazon.com/StaticTek-Adapter-Universal-Connection-Unbreakable/dp/B071J61CSV

then connect the spade to the eR (see eR instructions) and connect the plug to any outlet.  listen for a few days, then unplug and listen for a while.  can also try different outlets.  

you are a gem!

i need to ask a question which may sound silly.. i'm in Singapore and our power outlets have on/off switches. after i plug in the banana plug outlet adaptor into the power outlet, do i still need to flick the switch to ON, or does it just have to sit in the outlet socket.

also, would one of these be suitable? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?=Anti+Static+Grounding+Plug&ref=nb_sb_noss

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Static-ESD-Grounding-Bonding-Plug-2-x-10-mm-Studs-1-x-M5-Post-UK-Plug/292529618732?hash=item441c1fbf2c:g:PgMAAOSwoDFa2GR-

if this kind of plug is ok, i may just get it with a spade to spade connection.

4 hours ago, Ultrarunner said:

I found that grounding my LPS 1.2-powered EtherRegen did make a noticeable improvement. It was certainly cheap and easy enough to try. 

oh that's good to hear! i may end up connecting a NAS to the ER. will give the grounding a shot and see what difference it makes.

Roasty - I am also in Singapore and have been using the EtherRegen for 2 months now, with Earth Connection to Ground.

1 DO NOT - And I mean DO NOT buy that Amazon power outlet you listed the weblink above from Amazon!. I had one of these and I threw it away. It is Deadly - Not earthed internally and I was getting earth leakage shocks. 

Get a Furutech or a PS Audio Dectet. Do not use China made power outlets!

2. I use a Furutech e-tp60. Quality and Top notch electrical Safety and Sound Quality!

3. It has 6 outlets. I use 4 for powering all my DC Linear Power Supplies for ER, IsoRegen, my PC's 2xSSD (1 for WIndows Server 2019 OS, 1 for Music Files), 1 double outlet LPS (for an additional PC Fan header, 1 for 12V LCD screen). The other 2 I use for earthing all my Double shielded cables, the Ether Regen, IsoRegen etc.

4. Just use a IEC plug with the Earth wires connected to the Earth Pin. If you are worried, remove the other 2 pin connections. I use Oyadie plugs, All the 3 pins are removable. So NO worries about any current flowing in your earth circuits.

Safety is alwarys paramount. 

Kelvin

22 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

Roasty - I am also in Singapore and have been using the EtherRegen for 2 months now, with Earth Connection to Ground.

1 DO NOT - And I mean DO NOT buy that Amazon power outlet you listed the weblink above from Amazon!. I had one of these and I threw it away. It is Deadly - Not earthed internally and I was getting earth leakage shocks. 

Get a Furutech or a PS Audio Dectet. Do not use China made power outlets!

2. I use a Furutech e-tp60. Quality and Top notch electrical Safety and Sound Quality!

3. It has 6 outlets. I use 4 for powering all my DC Linear Power Supplies for ER, IsoRegen, my PC's 2xSSD (1 for WIndows Server 2019 OS, 1 for Music Files), 1 double outlet LPS (for an additional PC Fan header, 1 for 12V LCD screen). The other 2 I use for earthing all my Double shielded cables, the Ether Regen, IsoRegen etc.

4. Just use a IEC plug with the Earth wires connected to the Earth Pin. If you are worried, remove the other 2 pin connections. I use Oyadie plugs, All the 3 pins are removable. So NO worries about any current flowing in your earth circuits.

Safety is alwarys paramount. 

Kelvin

Hi Kelvin

Thanks for your input! Can I just confirm that the weblink you're referring to (and asking me not to purchase) is this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Static-ESD-Grounding-Bonding-Plug-2-x-10-mm-Studs-1-x-M5-Post-UK-Plug/292529618732?hash=item441c1fbf2c:g:PgMAAOSwoDFa2GR-

Screenshot_20200318-090548_eBay.thumb.jpg.cb06f1314105e53cc0193bc7766c9c4f.jpg

Screenshot_20200318-090647_eBay.thumb.jpg.1ac1dd74a4f2f5db4265879d9b721c8c.jpg

If I use an IEC plug, how do you connect the wiring to the ER grounding screw? 

Sorry, this part of audio is pretty new to me. 

I was referring to your AMAZON power outlet weblink. Dont buy that China made power bank. It's DEADLY!

As for the above Anti-static Earth link, I dont know anything about this. But why bother with another linke when you can just use an IEC plug such as:

http://www.oyaide.com/ENGLISH/AUDIO/products_category/power_plugs_iec_connectors/index.html

The live and neutral pins can be removed and I just use the Earth pin. Just connect (i use double run of 29AWG pure silver wire from the earth screw of the ER to the Earth pin of the IEC plug and insert it into one outlet of my Furutech e-tp60 power outlet.

Short and direct. No need for further plugs, wires, connectors etc. You want as direct an earth to ER link and not have any other connector etc in between. No Earth/Ground Loop risk !!

Enjoy your Music

Kelvin

We use ESD in work but wriststraps have a high value resister built in. I am not sure if these plug in ones have also, does it matter is there is resistance for an earth path. ?? Its for esd build up/ dissipation... does it matter for a leakage path....

Dave😁

I am no expert in this area, but from what I know, I would not install one of these with the 1 megohm resistor in place.  This limits the 

drain current and as I understand, the ground is there for safety reasons.  Under a failure, I would thing you would want a direct

path to ground.  As I say, this is not my field, perhaps those who know more can make a case that would make sense to use these.

I will not putting one in my system at this time.

6 minutes ago, bailyhill said:

This limits the 

drain current and as I understand, the ground is there for safety reasons.  Under a failure, I would thing you would want a direct

The ground screw on the eR is not for safety it is a functional earthing. This is a type of earthing forms a functional part of an electrical installation. Interference current can be discharged from the filters on the RJ45 A-side for example.

I would not use anything that has a high resistans to ground the eR to a ground in a outlet.

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system

Thanks for all the info, guys. Lots of stuff for me to read up and learn. 

I wonder how many people are actually using the ER ground screw.. My other query is when would it be absolutely necessary to use it, given that the B side is going to be "clean" anyways..? 

2 minutes ago, Roasty said:

Thanks for all the info, guys. Lots of stuff for me to read up and learn. 

I wonder how many people are actually using the ER ground screw.. My other query is when would it be absolutely necessary to use it, given that the B side is going to be "clean" anyways..? 

I was told that using an external clock might require grounding the ER. 

I was also told that grounding the ER can't cause any damage or degrade performance should grounding isn't actually required. 

Since I use an external clock and prefer to be on the safe side, I grounded it. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

29 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

I was told that using an external clock might require grounding the ER.

Who told you THAT? It is incorrect.

The BNC shell of the external clock input is part of the ‘B’ side power/data/clock domain. 

The Ground screw is attached to the ‘A’ domain plane—and is used to provide a path to “drain” away high-source-impeadance leakage that may be trying to enter on ‘A’ side copper ports. That is all.

All of this is covered well on page 8 of the EtherREGEN User GuideB|

1 hour ago, Roasty said:

I would say it is never a absolutely necessary to use the ground screw but it can be usefull if you use two copper connections on the A-side so you make a path to drain away leakage that way.

I run fiber to my eR and only use one RJ45 port on the A-side and in this case the ground is not needed but it does not hurt to use it (I have tried both cant say that it made any difference). I have a floating PSU that powers my eR).

If you use a powersupply that have the -0V connected to ground (like the supplyed SMPS) then the eR is automaticly grounded as the -0V inside of the eR is connected to the same groundplane as the groundscrew so then you already have the eR grounded via the PSU.

As @Superdad wrote all of this is covered in the User Guide.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0660/6121/files/EtherREGEN_User_Guide.pdf?99

Use of the EtherREGEN’s Ground terminal screw:We have measured high-source-impedance leakage on Ethernet cables coming from various other common network gear and computers.Leakage is common-mode AC current traveling over DC connections. It is pernicious stuffpassing easily along both analog and digital connections in our audio systemsand it is desirable to shunt it away. We address leakage in the design of the EtherREGEN in several ways, including our use of RJ45magnetics having 12 tiny transformer coresper port. And their center-tapsare wired to ground and to theEthernet switch chip through capacitors to maximally block port-to-port leakage. This works best if the EtherREGEN is groundedeither through the power supply or via the ground screw.The DC output 0-volt/-VE (‘ground’/shell)of the UpTone-branded AC>DC power supply included with the EtherREGEN is common to AC mains ground. When our supply is used to power the EtherREGEN it is NOT necessary to use the Ground screw.[Do not assume that 3rd party linear power supplies are like thissome are and some are not. Some multi-rail supplies have separate diode bridges and transformer secondaries and thus each output ground is "floated.” This is easy to test with a continuity/multimeter (be sure power is disconnected.)]If you power the EtherREGEN with a "floating" supplyone whose 0-volt/-VE (‘ground’/shell)is not common to AC mains groundthen ideally the Ground screw of the EtherREGEN should be used. You can do so by running an insulated wire safely to some AC mains ground or to the chassis of a known-grounded component in your audio system. [By the way, our UltraCap LPS-1.2 is a completely "floated" and isolated supply, so if using it with EtherREGEN the ground screw should be used.]Please keep in mind that all of the above regarding grounding concerns only the blocking of leakage from one RJ45 jack on the ‘A’ side to another RJ45 jack also on the 'A' side. Regardless of grounding, zero AC leakage from upstream Ethernet devices ever gets past the full active digital isolation and reclocking ADIMto the EtherREGEN’s 'B'-side port.

Main system

Second system