IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

11 hours ago, di-fi said:

Thanks and sorry to insist, it's out of curiosity, and maybe one day soon my system will evolve so it becomes practical to know. I understand you have no USB drive. Do you keep more than 2 versions of Euphony on your Optane 32 Gb?

I had M.2 fail which carried two versions, 108 and 102 if I recall. Each time you upgrade you can go back one if don't like it. Unfortunately I had no other backups on a USB from a fresh install image.  

11 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

I had M.2 fail which carried two versions, 108 and 102 if I recall. Each time you upgrade you can go back one if don't like it. Unfortunately I had no other backups on a USB from a fresh install image.  

Ok I understand now. I know how to revert and switch between 2 versions within the same install, but not more than 2. Many thanks!

On 4/20/2021 at 12:32 AM, StreamFidelity said:

I tried Euphony. I like the tidy user interface and the options in RAM for buffering and loading Euphony from RAM.

A little prehistory:

I am a convinced HQPlayer user and like to use DSD 256 with the modulator ASDM7EC. These algorithms require two cores with at least 4GHz for stereo. No problem for an Intel Core i9-9900K. Since I have a fanless PC, I have to throttle the temperature development. I do this in the BIOS with a fixed clock rate of 4.2GHz. Very high-performance under Windows 10 Pro and without any problems.

Unfortunately this does not work under Euphony. Regardless of the setting, two cores are always occupied with 100% utilization.

41018021mw.png

It seems to be a problem that has existed for a long time. Too bad.

Do you know if AL has this core utilization issue as well? Coincidentally I am in the middle of building a 9900K server for DSD256 7EC. I intended to go with Euphony OS for ease of setup but may be a dealbreaker with this issue. 

Darn, 421 performs so well in terms of precision and detail. I really wish I could have a mix of 421 and 102. As it is, no matter how hard I try, I can't settle on 421 in my system. 

This is a plea for Željko, going forward, if we could move the balance back some toward 102, or if we could have some more tuning options. 

10 hours ago, edwardsean said:

Darn, 421 performs so well in terms of precision and detail. I really wish I could have a mix of 421 and 102. As it is, no matter how hard I try, I can't settle on 421 in my system. 

This is a plea for Željko, going forward, if we could move the balance back some toward 102, or if we could have some more tuning options. 

I read @ASRMichael comment's explain IRQ after I start play with IRQ I feel the image is improving. 

13 hours ago, mrkoven said:

Do you know if AL has this core utilization issue as well? Coincidentally I am in the middle of building a 9900K server for DSD256 7EC. I intended to go with Euphony OS for ease of setup but may be a dealbreaker with this issue. 

Apparently, this was resolved for at least one user (by direct intervention over remote connection). I advise contacting support if you have the same issue.

I did try upsampling to DSD256 7EC with Euphony chord Dac but the problem is with Hqplayer specially with new ver they are not taking the advantage of multi core it looks Hq used two core and the process will hit 100% and the sound will start to cut. 

With old ver like 4.8 or 4.12 I can't upsample higher rate PCM like 192 to 7EC but with lower sample rate it's working good .  I believe the best way to go with 7EC is to replicate @hols build .

it looks he prefer PGGB now.

For me I appreciate 7EC with song recorded as DSD but not to upsampling from PCM> DSD I can't imagine how the sound will become good with DAC prefer DSD file as I know chord DAC work's best with PCM yet the sound is still beautiful with 7EC. 

So I think for euphony using DSD file and HQ 7EC sound very beautiful. 

and playing PGGB PCM with Stylus sound very beautiful . 

4 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

The EC modulator requires at least 4GHz clock frequency for each channel. It works the same way under Windows.

Did you make any change from BIOS ? I changed Freq from euphony only.

4 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

the picture you can now see that the other cores from Core 8 - 15 are also used. For example CPU 9+10.

41083726bb.png

How did I do that? For Core Isolation I chose this setting: 8-15 hqplayerd 0-7 dhcpcd 1-15

It is impressive your CPU utilization have 93%,  mine is reaching 99-100% .

11 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Good news for HQPlayer users with DSD256 and modulator ASDM7EC: It works great!

I reported my problems.

Thanks to the excellent customer service from Željko. My Euphony version was adapted to the HQPlayer. The workload shows a high but reduced workload of two cores. The most important thing: no more stuttering, just a melodious sound.

41083696dm.png

The configuration of two cores is normal for stereo. The EC modulator requires at least 4GHz clock frequency for each channel. It works the same way under Windows.

40673010wn.png

Of course I also played with core isolation. I had to learn that the HQPlayer always falls back to its own core assignment when the stream starts again. The trick in my case is to leave the first 8 cores to the HQPlayer and distribute the rest. In the picture you can now see that the other cores from Core 8 - 15 are also used. For example CPU 9+10.

41083726bb.png

How did I do that? For Core Isolation I chose this setting: 8-15 hqplayerd 0-7 dhcpcd 1-15

Explanation: All programs not listed separately are distributed away from the HQPlayer to the cores 8-15. The HQPlayer stays at 0-7. dhcpcd is important for my Solarflare X2522 NIC, which has to run on as many cores as possible so that the lowest possible latencies can be achieved. I only left out core 0, as this core is usually heavily loaded. This is what it looks like:

1067 nfm: 8-15
1078 stylus: 8-15
1178 avahi-daemon:: 8-15
1385 hqplayerd: 0-7
469 / usr / bin / lvmetad: 8-15
641 / usr / bin / haveged: 8-15
661 / usr / bin / acpid: 8-15
711 / usr / bin / dhcpcd: 1-15

Overall, the power consumption has been reduced compared to Windows. This is also noticeable in a lower heat development. On average I am now <50°C. Before it was about 10°C more!

41083743sr.jpeg

Summary

For me, Euphony has taken the important hurdle of error-free playback with the HQPlayer DSD 256 / ASDM7EC. I have no Linux knowledge and really appreciate the simple, well-designed user interface. The driver for the Solarflare NIC (SFN8522 & X2522) works without any problems. Euphony's ticket system is excellent. I enjoy the great sound.

Excellent news! Have you tried IRQ? With your core isolation? 

12 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Have you tried IRQ? With your core isolation?

Yes, I tried IRQ. Since I don't use USB, but NAA, the Solarflare NIC assignment was interesting for me. However, I found that I was making it worse. Before my IRQ assignment, Ethernet was nicely split up across each individual core.

Example with two cores

162:      69405          0          0          0          0          1          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   PCI-MSI 524288-edge      eth0-0

163:          0     491576          0          0          0          0          1          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   PCI-MSI 524289-edge      eth0-1

After my IRQ assignment, the parallel core was also used. This is bad.

Example after the IRQ assignment with irq/162 1 and irq/163 2

162:      70837       1874          0          0          0          1          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   PCI-MSI 524288-edge      eth0-0

163:          0     491804        138          0          0          0          1          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   PCI-MSI 524289-edge      eth0-1

Result: In my constellation, it doesn't work. The reason is probably that the Solarflare NIC does its own mapping like HQPlayer. In the BIOS I set the Solarflare firmware to lowest latencies.

24 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

Example after the IRQ assignment with irq/162 1 and irq/163 2

162:      70837       1874          0          0          0          1          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   PCI-MSI 524288-edge      eth0-0

163:          0     491804        138          0          0          0          1          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0          0   PCI-MSI 524289-edge      eth0-1

Result: In my constellation, it doesn't work. The reason is probably that the Solarflare NIC does its own mapping like HQPlayer. In the BIOS I set the Solarflare firmware to lowest latencies.

It works. Those numbers are cumulative. As numbers on new assignments rise, numbers on old assignments should stay the same. Leave it running with new assignments for a longer period and it should be obvious.

I can't make my MoBo ethernet ports work with Euphony, i was thinking that with the new upgrade that issue was solved, is anyone having issues with this ?

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

Okay, okay, okay, I've converted to 421.

I kept playing with 421 and what finally did it was that I disabled Ramroot. That alleviated the tightness I was experiencing in 421's presentation. 421 has this incredible precision and definiteness where 102 can image overly soft and diffuse. However, with Ramroot engaged, the sound feels like the screws are overtightened and it feels stiff.  I don't like giving up Ramroot, but once I unloaded it, a natural sense of flow returned. 

I still long for more of 102's fullness, larger low end and staging. Also, I am uncomfortable losing Ramroot from a technical standpoint. I had to remind myself that the only that counts is the end result sound. Well, you can't have everything. This is still quite a good net win, and I'm glad to be going forward with Euphony!