IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

Hi, I've been playing with a trial version of Euphony (421) for a few days. Compared to the Daphile, I like the more drawn bass and the overall livelier expression. The right space is a bit smaller. I control it via the iOS application on the tablet. I would welcome a few details - in the menu My music is a choice of random albums, in we radio provided by TuneIn. Overall, the control has a slightly different logic compared to the Daphile, but it can be used to it. I am considering purchasing a full license. Have a nice day everyone

On 5/28/2021 at 1:15 PM, PavelDosko said:

Hi guys. Is there any of you who switched to Euphony of Daphile? Intended use Euphony Stylus without roon, without HQPlayer, on one PC (i7 7900, 16 GB Apacer, 128 GB SSD Samsung, HDPlexATX 400, SOTM tx USBexp, powered by HDPlex 300W - iFi iGalvanic3 - DAC Rockna Wavedream, music from NAS and Tidal ). What was the main difference between SQ Daphile to Euphony?

Euphony does have a more refined sound in my system. BUT, not so much that I'm willing to deep six Daphile, which represents the least amount of hassle. I've got two Optane drives, one for each. When I get close to driving myself to madness with Euphony I switch back to Daphile...and bre-e-e-e-e-a-t-h-e. 😄

8 minutes ago, organics1 said:

Euphony does have a more refined sound in my system. BUT, not so much that I'm willing to deep six Daphile, which represents the least amount of hassle. I've got two Optane drives, one for each. When I get close to driving myself to madness with Euphony I switch back to Daphile...and bre-e-e-e-e-a-t-h-e. 😄

What exactly is Euphony doing that doesn’t let you breathe? 

On 5/23/2021 at 1:13 AM, davide256 said:

Done listening @Lukasluis the combination of 1.2Mhz CPU speed  + Apacer RAM has really helped. Was aware of added irritants before when PCM

sample rate went up, thats gone now and if I bump up CPU speed can detect more high frequency stridency. Thanks for the speed tip!

Glad it worked for you too. It was a frequency I used when I still use Euphony. 1.2 Ghz works well for my Windows Control PC too; I use 600Mhz for my Audio PC. 

3 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

What exactly is Euphony doing that doesn’t let you breathe? 

Quite simply the seemingly endless CHOICES! With Daphile set up is super simple and the choices are few. It may not be what some people consider the creme de la creme for SQ, but it sounds decent enough, and it serves well simple minds like mine. With Euphony you've got a nearly endless supply of amusements, such as tweaking processor settings. Since Euphony was introduced participants on this forum have literally spent years discussing the Holy Grail. It is in deed a noble and nice pursuit if that's your interest, and you've got loads of time. There are explorers, and there are settlers. 🙂

16 hours ago, edwardsean said:

That's a lovely way to put it, and of course, each to his own. 

I would add though, if you've already pressed on to custom Windows servers, I think you're already in explorer territory. 

I think Euphony sounds great out of the box and you don't have to get into the more complex tweaking. I was sold as soon as I heard it before I made any adjustments. 

Well, any exploring/discovering on my part is usually purely accidental. 😆 I'd hesitated to try ramroot because of having only 4GB in my cheap little Celeron-based mini computer. But a few weeks ago I got a new fanless i7 rig with 32GB! Ramroot gave me an etched and edgy sound. AWFUL. I was crestfallen. Then, I realized I had tweaked the hell out of my Fountek ribbon tweeters when I built them several months ago, using Jantzen Superior caps, and bypassing them with Dueland Precision Bypass Caps (both copper and silver foil), plus Jantzen wax coils. So, the speakers were already doing pretty good SQ-wise, and for whatever reason, ramroot wasn't helping. Proving, once again, that there's more than one way to skin a cat. 

Also got a SQ boost about a week ago when I upgraded my music file storage with a Thunderbolt-connected ICY Box PCIe enclosure containing an Optane 900 SSD powered by my Sean Jacobs diy LPS. I think both Euphony and Daphile got a kick out of it.

15 hours ago, edwardsean said:

How are you not an explorer my friend!? I like the way you put it, I guess you are an "accidental explorer." I think many of us get started that way. You fall into the rabbit hole and have to discover at least a way out. For good or for bad, a lot of us just end up putting in plumbing and a kitchen sink down there. 

I think what you wrote is a perfect illustration of the proper holistic approach to all of this. Audio systems are just that: systems. As you well know, lesson one is learning to think organically in terms of interrelated components; the chain only sounds good as a chain. I think it takes a while to learn what you are hearing, from what, from where, and why. Then we can figure out how exactly we want to skin that cat. 

Definitely, Euphony is just one part in each of our radically different and evolving systems. But, I got to say, the traditional settler approach really is to just buy a preconfigured system like a dCS Bartok or a wireless LS50, no? I think what defines an explorer is that you don't just tinker and tune out of need, you like it. Even as you grumble about how complicated and frustrating it is, you know you like it (Ah the smell of Mundorf solder in the morning). You like it so much you go onto AS and talk with others who like it too (grin). 

Much obliged, doc. But if we're going to continue like this we'll have to discuss your fee structure. 😄 Either way, all the best.

Has anyone noticed any issues with HQPlayer embedded? I was playing some test files and the center imaging file only plays out of the left channel. Likewise I played a different file that is supposed to engage both speakers and only the left speaker played. I can play left or right channel files separately and they play fine.

This occurs both with our without an NAA so it is being initiated by HQPe.

I then played the same center image file through Stylus without HQPe and it worked fine.

I've attached the center image file.  You can also get it as well as many other test files from Free Online Audio Tests, Test Tones and Tone Generators (audiocheck.net)

If this is a known issue already discussed please let me know.  Otherwise, if you are willing, please play the test file with Stylus and HQPe and let me know if sound only comes out the left channel.

audiocheck.net_C.wav

Jussi explained this is how HQPe handles playback of mono files.  Where Stylus will automatically play it back to both channels, HQPe needs it manually mapped to both.

This really threw me for a loop as I did not expect this behavior.  I rarely if ever play back mono files but need to keep this in mind when doing so.

2 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Jussi explained this is how HQPe handles playback of mono files.  Where Stylus will automatically play it back to both channels, HQPe needs it manually mapped to both.

This really threw me for a loop as I did not expect this behavior.  I rarely if ever play back mono files but need to keep this in mind when doing so.

That's kind of a bizarre playback strategy for HQPe.

Koupil jsem si stylus Euphony, nepoužívám Roon ani HQPlayer, nepřebírám vzorky - můj R2R DAC Rockna Wavedream hraje nejlépe v nativním rozlišení. Nerozumím jedné věci - v aplikaci na stránce Nyní je přehrávání údajů o albu zcela nedostatečné, mám pravidelně označenou celou databázi (cca 15 000 alb), tyto informace lze zobrazit kliknutím na „i“ u jednotlivých skladeb, ale „velký“ přehled „Jen hraje“ s nimi neodpovídá a je velmi, velmi strohý ... Informace jsou čerpány z last.fm?

Searching in the database is a bit daunting, but you can find everything, including the content of comments, it's more of a habit.

SQ is the main thing for me and it is excellent

6 minutes ago, dc-audiogeek said:

Is there a way to tell Euphony Stylus to disconnect from the network to play local files? Sometimes I get a pop up that offers to do this when i’m playing an album, but it doesnt appear consistently and I’d like to know how to control it.

Add album go to expert menu. There’s a play button. It disconnects the network 

2 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Thanks, but that solution didn't work for me. I have a Euphony Summus server, and unfortunately, it doesn't have an expert menu in Stylus, which I was told is because the software is fully "optimized" already. 

I reached out to Euphony support and Mr. Z told me that disconnecting from the network could be activated by clicking/tapping on and holding the play button. There is no option to set a time limit for disconnection, but pressing the power button on the Summus will reconnect it to the network.

It's interesting how the different builds of Stylus differ...

13 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

I just started experimenting with this. The point of this is really to eliminate network noise and improve SQ correct? 

There seems to be a slight reduction of the usual suspects of noise artifacts like harshness and a bit more of an open and relaxed sound. However, at this point, I couldn't swear that this beyond placebo. 

If you use this feature, could you share your experience?