IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

33 minutes ago, NanoSword said:

Today I started to experiment using  PGGB with Euphony .  I feel it is interesting tool for upsampling but I have some issue euphone is shortens the song especially long song . I need to figure out  the reason for shortens the song.

PGGB brings benefit to the sound  I feel the timing is more accurate more natural sound  with black background and reduce some of the harshness with better bass and amazing vocal . 

Which DAC? Did you try playing the file with HQPlayer (no shaping/upsample)instead of Stylus?

1 hour ago, NanoSword said:

Today I started to experiment using  PGGB with Euphony .  I feel it is interesting tool for upsampling but I have some issue euphone is shortens the song especially long song . I need to figure out  the reason for shortens the song.

PGGB brings benefit to the sound  I feel the timing is more accurate more natural sound  with black background and reduce some of the harshness with better bass and amazing vocal . 

Z advised me to install new update he is correct no more shortens with any song .

Great timing. I have been waiting for the last firmware for my PSaudio Directwave and just before it lands I see Euphony has the latest version. The last few weeks have been an odd time for me; I did not like the harshness and lack of musicality of the 117 so went back to 108.

However I had been playing around with cables and supports to calm 117 and was less impressed with 108 than I had been initially. So back to 117 and play around with irqs, core isolation settings and small adjustments in speaker position to get a sound I could listen to.

I was a little trepidatious over installing the latest update, but straight off it has every quality I was missing. Detailed, smooth and just enough warmth and that's with every setting unaltered from my playing with 117. Very satisfied.

That's without the new firmware to the DAC, which is rumoured to be a big step forward. Will that alter the balance again? At least I know Euphony is behaving now.

I was playing with 3 versions 108 & 216 & 217 I find the sound unnatural at all when this two ver 216&217 installed in my system . But it is different when install 108 & 217 in my system I find the sound still natural, I don't know if I imagine that but I feel the previous ver impacting the sound somehow I don't know so I decided to keep old ver as part of my system if there's new update I will downgrade my ver to 108 then I will install the new one .

I am using now 108 & 421.

How do I read or write to a hard drive in Euphony?  How do I even see a hard drive in Euphony?

my motherboard is older and does not have a M2 slot. I have a 32 GB Optane M2 memory and a PCIE adapter card. I would like to see if I can use it like a hard drive to load some songs, but I am not sure where or how to look. 

Thank you

4 minutes ago, drjimwillie said:

How do I read or write to a hard drive in Euphony?  How do I even see a hard drive in Euphony?

my motherboard is older and does not have a M2 slot. I have a 32 GB Optane M2 memory and a PCIE adapter card. I would like to see if I can use it like a hard drive to load some songs, but I am not sure where or how to look. 

Thank you

I am not sure what you mean. Are you talking about booting from an external USB vs loaded Euphony in a "hard drive" like a traditional internal solid state drive ? I put my Euphony in my 64 GB Optane M2 but it does need M2 Slot (though I think you might be able to use the Adaptor card) I load some songs in there. But not a lot of space. I just delete them when I am done. You can also load via network drive I think but I just remotely load into the Optane via file manager. Try not to occupy > 70 % of the Optane drive as beyond that might affect sound it seems. 

421 is smoother sounding than 417 but soundstage of 417 is wider and deeper and imaging is better too with the previous release. 

While on it, I played around with the CPU Isolation and Interrupt assignments. Here's what I ended up with my NUC 8 logical cores CPU.

CPU Isolation:

0-1 stylus 2-3 gstp 4-6 

Interrupt CPU assignment: 

xhci_hcd = Core 7 (for USB port connected to DAC)

eth0 = Core 2 (for Ethernet port)

nvme* = distributed to either Core 0 or Core 1 (nvme0q0 to nvme0q8)  

I did not assign dedicated Interrupt cores to the following as interrupt counts for them is insignicant in my system:

timer
rtc0
acpi
INT34BB:00
i801_smbus
PCIe PME

The above gives the balance between resolution, attack/decay and fullness to the sound. Giving a lot of cores to gstp (e.g. 0-2 gstp 3-7) resulted in ultra resolution but losses on overall musicality. I will let the system settle in and will revisit the settings but for now I'm enjoying this new version of Euphony.  

I just installed the new version and I only can say don't hessitate. It's the best version ever. I came from 108 because I did not like 217 and went back to 108. After Roon updated from 7 to 8 I liked the last version of Roon better than 108 because it was more palpable so mostly I listened to Roon core. But now Euphony is back on track and a lot better than Roon. Well done Zeljko!!

On 4/17/2021 at 6:20 AM, al2813 said:

Interesting one. My HDPlex is the first "serious" LPS I got for my server. The previous was a home-grown LPS installed inside the case by the Dutch store who originally built it. The store owner described it as "high end", but the HDPlex outclassed it by a massive distance. Your comment that the HDplex is better than a Farad (which is considered as a very reputable brand) is interesting. 

The Farad is a great supply if you need 3A or less... liked the one I had far better than an HDPlex200W. But it does not have the current output to run an i7 NUC at full throttle which the HDPlex 200/300W supplies will.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

37 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I don't know what "full throttle" means, but I never experienced any issues with my Farads powering an i7 NUC.  Once of them ran at maximum frequency.  I don't recall if turbo was on or off.

Using a 12V Farad my i7 NUC would not boot with Turbo on. Was yours a 19V?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

16 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

I am not sure what you mean. Are you talking about booting from an external USB vs loaded Euphony in a "hard drive" like a traditional internal solid state drive ? I put my Euphony in my 64 GB Optane M2 but it does need M2 Slot (though I think you might be able to use the Adaptor card) I load some songs in there. But not a lot of space. I just delete them when I am done. You can also load via network drive I think but I just remotely load into the Optane via file manager. Try not to occupy > 70 % of the Optane drive as beyond that might affect sound it seems. 

Hi Chopin - thank you for the reply.

How I have my OS loaded was going to be my second question.

The question I asked above is a basic navigation question. I don’t know my way around Linux/Euphony to find where a hard drive would be.  I am inferring from your response when you say file manager, that on a separate windows or Apple computer, when I see my server on the network, I should be able to navigate to any hard drive on it. Is that correct?

My current computer/server is in older CAPS Pipeline, with a supermicro motherboard and a Xeon  CPU. There is currently no hard drive installed and I am running the OS off a thumb drive.  I purchased the Optane stick and the PCIE adapter card to run the OS on. My intent is just to use it as NVME. When I went into bios to set up the boot drive I did not see an option for NVME. I contacted Supermicro and they told me that NVME will not work in this computer.  
However, considering that I have the Optane and the PCIE adapter card, I want to install it just to see if I can load some files on it, to see if they sound better than files loaded on my Nas.  That is why I am asking how I can see and access it.

If I can get it to work, next I will try to load the OS onto it, as I would prefer that to the thumb drive.  
I own the full license of Euphony 

421 is indeed very nice. Sounds a bit better than 108 to my taste. As I did the change I also tested again the Stylus player vs my (default) Roon server + Stylus EP. Maybe I should have not done that as again Stylus player sounds for me better, but am so addicted to the Roon GUI....oh dear....

1 hour ago, drjimwillie said:

Hi Chopin - thank you for the reply.

How I have my OS loaded was going to be my second question.

The question I asked above is a basic navigation question. I don’t know my way around Linux/Euphony to find where a hard drive would be.  I am inferring from your response when you say file manager, that on a separate windows or Apple computer, when I see my server on the network, I should be able to navigate to any hard drive on it. Is that correct?

My current computer/server is in older CAPS Pipeline, with a supermicro motherboard and a Xeon  CPU. There is currently no hard drive installed and I am running the OS off a thumb drive.  I purchased the Optane stick and the PCIE adapter card to run the OS on. My intent is just to use it as NVME. When I went into bios to set up the boot drive I did not see an option for NVME. I contacted Supermicro and they told me that NVME will not work in this computer.  
However, considering that I have the Optane and the PCIE adapter card, I want to install it just to see if I can load some files on it, to see if they sound better than files loaded on my Nas.  That is why I am asking how I can see and access it.

If I can get it to work, next I will try to load the OS onto it, as I would prefer that to the thumb drive.  
I own the full license of Euphony 

Once you install Euphony onto your new hard drive, just make sure you tick share library. It’s got SMB share. So from another pc or laptop. Just mapped a drive with your IP of Euphony. Then drop your music into the mapped drive. Easy as that. 

Mapped drive something like

\\192.168.1.12\music