IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

9 hours ago, Lukasluis said:

My NUC 8i7 has a native CPU frequency of 2.7Ghz and Turbo up to 4.5Ghz. I also tried 2.4Ghz which is the double data rate of the RAM but I prefer the sound with with the 1.2Ghz single data transmission per clock cycle. 

RAM has clocking limits, but has no clock per se. If the 1.2 CPU speed sounds better it's likely because something on the MOBO is less electrically noisy/stressed at that speed. Will give it a shot, my CPU

utilization rarely goes above 17% peak using Stylus with max CPU speed available.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 hours ago, davide256 said:

They call it server grade, whatever that means... its not the consumer grade.

Considering the high asking prices for some of this RAM it would be nice to know for sure that you're getting the classification you THINK you're paying for. So far, I've seen electronic and audio suppliers across Europe asking from a couple hundred to nearly $500 for a 16GB stick of Apacer, without offering to verify their "industrial" claim. I've tried searching for Apacer info but the corporate communication infrastructure is an absolute maze.

Many of these manufacturers don't want to waste time on low volume consumer sales...or even directing you to the proper retailers. Most often if you follow any info they give it's out of date, and/or the retailer is surprised they're even on the list.

11 hours ago, Lukasluis said:

It mean much to my ears. Same findings on both Euphony and Windows servers that I have. 3 machines, 2 different Players, same findings. 

What is likely happening is that throttling down the CPU decreases pressure on memory with lower memory latencies and hence likely higher instruction throughput though CPU is running at lower frequency. Very much depends on the workload. Their maybe other factors. Yes, trust your ears. Very interesting observation. 

54 minutes ago, organics1 said:

Considering the high asking prices for some of this RAM it would be nice to know for sure that you're getting the classification you THINK you're paying for. So far, I've seen electronic and audio suppliers across Europe asking from a couple hundred to nearly $500 for a 16GB stick of Apacer, without offering to verify their "industrial" claim. I've tried searching for Apacer info but the corporate communication infrastructure is an absolute maze.

Many of these manufacturers don't want to waste time on low volume consumer sales...or even directing you to the proper retailers. Most often if you follow any info they give it's out of date, and/or the retailer is surprised they're even on the list.

Mouser is pretty reliable. Here is the datasheet link

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/24/D22.27261S.001_DDR4_SODIMM_3200-22_1024x8_16GB_SA_-1772581.pdf

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

18 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

Is this the industrial grade? Can't tell from the link

7 hours ago, davide256 said:

They call it server grade, whatever that means... its not the consumer grade.

@TheAttorney and me are using these Apacer rams now, these are industrial grade -40 to +95 degrees c.

https://nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Apacer/D2323240S004/?qs=GBLSl2AkiruWco00G6Jb1Q%3D%3D

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

1 hour ago, jbm_2021 said:

What is likely happening is that throttling down the CPU decreases pressure on memory with lower memory latencies and hence likely higher instruction throughput though CPU is running at lower frequency. Very much depends on the workload. Their maybe other factors. Yes, trust your ears. Very interesting observation. 

@LukasluisPlaying with this now, using Qobuz "Man of La Mancha (New Broadway Cast Recording (2002))". Can hear a reduction in "fuzz" for voice timbre, have bumped CPU

speed down to minimum ( 0.6Mhz) will see where I end up.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hey, I wanted to report back for those who might be wrestling with jumping onto 421. I’ve spent some time now adjusting the rest of my system to accommodate 421.  I’ve found that I can make up some fullness and soundstage width through adjusting convolution. However, the performance gains in 421 (accuracy, clarity, detail) obviously can’t be reduplicated.

As the new sound is coming together the efforts to work with 421 are being well rewarded. 

5 hours ago, jbm_2021 said:

If there is a https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/tx-usbexp/ tx-USBexp in your streamer, will there be any benefit in having another tX-USBultra in the chain where the USB output from the streamer is sent to the tX-USBultra and from there to the DAC?

Assume sCLK-EX 10Mhz external clock in both the streamer and tx-USBultra.

Thanks,

Jai

I was wondering about this a while back when looking at their web. Not sure, if you use a great LPS to power the USB bridge output in the streamer, why would additional tX-USBultra be of benefit, considering you are using same clock. Unless they say the USButra give extra galvanic isolation? But not a very cost effective way, seems redundant. If you have. a DDC (digital-digital converter) right before the DAC that I think would be of more benefit unless your DAC has a superb USB input device

4 hours ago, edwardsean said:

Hey, I wanted to report back for those who might be wrestling with jumping onto 421. I’ve spent some time now adjusting the rest of my system to accommodate 421.  I’ve found that I can make up some fullness and soundstage width through adjusting convolution. However, the performance gains in 421 (accuracy, clarity, detail) obviously can’t be reduplicated.

As the new sound is coming together the efforts to work with 421 are being well rewarded. 

I am getting used to 421 too, initially a bit reluctant, but now getting used to it.  It has better resolving ability; I can hear more details yet still musical.

Music server builder

2 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

I was wondering about this a while back when looking at their web. Not sure, if you use a great LPS to power the USB bridge output in the streamer, why would additional tX-USBultra be of benefit, considering you are using same clock. Unless they say the USButra give extra galvanic isolation? But not a very cost effective way, seems redundant. If you have. a DDC (digital-digital converter) right before the DAC that I think would be of more benefit unless your DAC has a superb USB input device

I have a Farad Super 3 for the sotm switch and tx-usb ultra. I am wondering about the benefit as well. I think from an SOTM NEO it benefits because the NEOs USB though audio grade may not be in par with tx-usb ultra. Just a speculation

20 hours ago, jbm_2021 said:

I have a Farad Super 3 for the sotm switch and tx-usb ultra. I am wondering about the benefit as well. I think from an SOTM NEO it benefits because the NEOs USB though audio grade may not be in par with tx-usb ultra. Just a speculation

Also if the clock of the tx-uSB is better it would be an improvement but if u are using same external clock I guess it should be redundant unless there is a galvanic isolation in tx_USB that helps; how do u like the Farad BTW? I am thinking of getting one for my USB bridge too

2 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

Also if the clock of the tx-uSB is better it would be an improvement but if u are using same external clock I guess it should be redundant unless there is a galvanic isolation in tx_USB that helps; how do u like the Farad BTW? I am thinking of getting one for my USB bridge too

The Farads are great. Been rock solid so far. I have farads for all the Sotm components and also for the Chords. 

On 5/18/2021 at 2:01 PM, davide256 said:

Still having a problem with Stylus player where the treble has "hot sauce", sounds like the magnepan 1.7's have morphed into Koss 1A speakers. Not hearing this

using Roon server + HQplayer w/PCM oversampling disabled.

Are u loading in RAM ? and if so, make sure there is enough RAM. What is HOT SOURCE Sound ?

12 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

Are u loading in RAM ? and if so, make sure there is enough RAM. What is HOT SOURCE Sound ?

Things are a bit more palatable now that the Apacer RAM arrived and the Corsair Vengeance RAM has been swapped out... the hot sauce effect

was a last remaining treble digital artifact I had to solve. Recordings with a lot of high frequency content made me wish I had them

in vinyl because of the irritating high frequencies. Must admit I was skeptical a different RAM mfr.  could improve audio SQ... need a few days

of listening to see  whether this is a a straight forward improvement or has trade offs

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 5/20/2021 at 10:07 AM, davide256 said:

Things are a bit more palatable now that the Apacer RAM arrived and the Corsair Vengeance RAM has been swapped out... the hot sauce effect

was a last remaining treble digital artifact I had to solve. Recordings with a lot of high frequency content made me wish I had them

in vinyl because of the irritating high frequencies. Must admit I was skeptical a different RAM mfr.  could improve audio SQ... need a few days

of listening to see  whether this is a a straight forward improvement or has trade offs

Done listening @Lukasluis the combination of 1.2Mhz CPU speed  + Apacer RAM has really helped. Was aware of added irritants before when PCM

sample rate went up, thats gone now and if I bump up CPU speed can detect more high frequency stridency. Thanks for the speed tip!

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Airplay trick:

if you want to hear an alternative presentation of the sound, give a try to Airplay in Audio System and use your iphone to play Qobuz or Spotify on Airplay via wifi. 

there is a significant difference in sound vs Stylus. Yes Airplay is lossy etc but it is worth a try. You - surprisingly - might like the way it sounds.

Plus you can use the native app interface.

Hi guys. Is there any of you who switched to Euphony of Daphile? Intended use Euphony Stylus without roon, without HQPlayer, on one PC (i7 7900, 16 GB Apacer, 128 GB SSD Samsung, HDPlexATX 400, SOTM tx USBexp, powered by HDPlex 300W - iFi iGalvanic3 - DAC Rockna Wavedream, music from NAS and Tidal ). What was the main difference between SQ Daphile to Euphony?

54 minutes ago, PavelDosko said:

Hi guys. Is there any of you who switched to Euphony of Daphile? Intended use Euphony Stylus without roon, without HQPlayer, on one PC (i7 7900, 16 GB Apacer, 128 GB SSD Samsung, HDPlexATX 400, SOTM tx USBexp, powered by HDPlex 300W - iFi iGalvanic3 - DAC Rockna Wavedream, music from NAS and Tidal ). What was the main difference between SQ Daphile to Euphony?

Hi Pavel,

I was a happy user of Daphile but a few monts ago, I decided to try Euphony. I'm not good at describing SQ but the improvement was so obvious that I decided to buy a licence before the end of the trail period ;-)

In addition to great SQ, Euphony support is fantastic. I had to open a couple of tickets and support was always fast and efficient.

My config is NAS Synology DS216j > NUC7i5 - 8GB RAM - SSD 120GB - Akasa Fanless > Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. LPS: HDPlex 200w

I recently bought a Roon licence (Euphony as embedded Roon core). No SQ improvement but great library management.

2 hours ago, PavelDosko said:

I switched from Euphony to Daphile to Euphony. As far as I remember, I found Daphile very impressive but a little bit less warm/organic/natural than Euphony (v102 only). Both are top notch and worth trying. And I did buy the euphony license in the end. Agree that the support is great.

3 hours ago, Topk said:

Airplay trick:

if you want to hear an alternative presentation of the sound, give a try to Airplay in Audio System and use your iphone to play Qobuz or Spotify on Airplay via wifi. 

there is a significant difference in sound vs Stylus. Yes Airplay is lossy etc but it is worth a try. You - surprisingly - might like the way it sounds.

Plus you can use the native app interface.

Qobuz is its own app on iPhone. The download (high res) to local library option is only available using the app and IME gives better sound than streaming

to iPhone using either the basic apple DAC dongle or better quality portable DAC

Regards,

Dave

Audio system