IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

19 minutes ago, PavelDosko said:

What makes the parameters better? It's not just about speed, I think

The bottom line is we don't really know.  Does the WD-Black use better materials that might improve sound quality relative to the EVO?  Why does industrial, wide temperature RAM sound better to so many people?  Is it materials?  I have not seen a definitive answer.  Does the WD-Black have lower latency (similar to the Optane) than the EVO?  We don't know from the specifications.  Only listening tests can give us an idea.

In my experience, a 32GB Optane M10 sounded noticeably better than an Apacer industrial, wide temperature SSD in my NUC when used to run the Euphony OS.  The general assumption seems to be lower latency of the Optane is responsible for the improvement in sound quality.

On 6/8/2021 at 9:04 AM, PavelDosko said:

gentlemen, I have seen a debate across forums about using Intel Optane as an SSD for the operating system. are any of you still using it? What type ? I use Samsung 860 EVO in several assemblies, will Intel Optane as an SSD for Euphony be a benefit?

I would suggest acquiring Apacer industrial/server grade RAM is a prerequisite  before you try to test... found that a lot of irritants I was hearing were due  to the Crucial RAM

I originally installed.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Is anyone successfully using 1536 out from Euphony NUC with their DAC/DDC?

I noticed yesterday that Denafrips IRIS USB properties said it supported 1411/1536, am working fine up-sampled to 1411 over USB

but the 1536 speed gives music with a lot of noise. Actual coax output speed for the Iris remains 192/24 but so far 1411 seems to reduce/eliminate treble

irritants similar to DSD up-sampling.

Trying to figure out if the problem with 1536 is NUC, USB cable (Lush 2) or the IRIS.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

Navrhoval bych získat průmyslovou / serverovou paměť RAM Apacer je předpokladem, než se pokusíte otestovat ... zjistil, že spousta dráždivých látek, které jsem slyšel, bylo způsobeno klíčovou RAM

Původně jsem nainstaloval.

Hello, I have own such Apacer memory 2 x 8 GB

24 minutes ago, PavelDosko said:

can you recommend any specific type of Apacer RAM?

As has been posted not so long ago....

On 5/16/2021 at 9:56 PM, RickyV said:

@TheAttorney and me are using these Apacer rams now, these are industrial grade -40 to +95 degrees c.

https://nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Apacer/D2323240S004/?qs=GBLSl2AkiruWco00G6Jb1Q%3D%3D

This 2666 speed Apacer sounds better than the 2400 that we had before (and the 2400 was considerably better than Crucial RAM that originally came with my NUC). There's also a 3200 version that I haven't tried. This for NUCs, which generally do not support ECC. If your server supports ECC RAM then there are even better Apacer models around that have been described before on this and similar threads.

35 minutes ago, TheAttorney said:

This 2666 speed Apacer sounds better than the 2400 that we had before (and the 2400 was considerably better than Crucial RAM that originally came with my NUC). T

I'm not sure if Apacer with ECC should be built into computers without ECC. They have disadvantages because of the high latencies:

MHz: 2666 CL: 19
Calculated nanoseconds: 14.25

And they don't have a heat sink.

There are good alternatives, for example G.Skill RipJaws V black DIMM kit 16GB, DDR4-3200, CL14-14-14-34 with 8.75ns. I consider low latencies to be one of the key factors behind high SQ. But everyone may see it differently.

I believe that would fit PC motherboards only... Any suggestions like that for Intel NUC users?

NUC10i7FNH uses 2 x DDR4-2666 SO-DIMM RAM – Max Memory 64 GB

Currently using a single 16GB Timetec Hynix IC 16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Unbuffered Non-ECC 1.2V CL19... where would one find the latency for this one?

2 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

Jak již bylo zveřejněno ne tak dávno ....

Tento 2666 rychlostní Apacer zní lépe než 2400, které jsme měli dříve (a 2400 byl podstatně lepší než Crucial RAM, který původně přišel s mým NUC). K dispozici je také verze 3200, kterou jsem nezkoušel. To pro NUC, které obecně nepodporují ECC. Pokud váš server podporuje ECC RAM, existují ještě lepší modely Apacer, které byly popsány dříve na tomto a podobných vláknech.

Thank you, my MB ASRock H270M-ITX supports DDR4 2400/2133 non-ECC, un-buffered memory (DIMM), now I use 2x https://www.mironet.cz/apacer-8gb-2400mhz-dimm-ddr4-cl17-unbuffered-nonecc-12v+dp354092/

21 hours ago, Smaragdhk said:

I believe that would fit PC motherboards only... Any suggestions like that for Intel NUC users?

NUC10i7FNH uses 2 x DDR4-2666 SO-DIMM RAM – Max Memory 64 GB

Currently using a single 16GB Timetec Hynix IC 16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Unbuffered Non-ECC 1.2V CL19... where would one find the latency for this one?

Answering my own question… in case someone may find it useful…

Found this useful calculator to check RAM latency:

https://notkyon.moe/ram-latency.htm

And another interesting article about CL in RAM…

https://www.fidelizer-audio.com/all-the-things-you-need-to-know-about-ram-aside-cl/

3 hours ago, flkin said:

I had the G.Skill DDR4-3200 ram (latency 8.75ns) in my server before switching to Apacer industrial, ECC, unbuffered, unregistered DDR4-2400 UDIMM (latency 14.2ns) and it was a big step up in sound quality after tuning. I wrote about it and about the RAM factors here:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/43629-pink-faun-216/?do=findComment&comment=1073511

On 8/13/2020 at 4:37 PM, flkin said:

CONCLUSION

The best setting for the Apacer industrial DDR4-2400 ECC UDIMM  in the Pink Faun 2.16x (2018 version) running Euphony/Stylus in Ramroot is:

1. RAM - overclocked at 2800MHz @ 1.14 volts

Interesting! You made a lot of effort. With this setting you have at least reduced the latency. MHz: 2800 CL: 17 = Calculated nanoseconds: 12.14 😉