IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

For a few weeks now I have an annoying and persistent problem that only occurs when I play with Roon and Stylus as endpoint. Whenever I play a single song Roon + Stylus refuses to play the next song. This only happens when I let the song play completely until it says “Nothing Playing” on the bottom bar of the Roon app. If I play a single song and tap another song just before the end of the song to play, there is no problem. I can do two things to let the chosen music track play. I can command the song to play several times in a row. After pressing “play” a number of times, the song starts playing in a certain moment. I can also play a list by pressing the arrow in front of the music track. The app then starts skipping the songs from the list one by one until it starts playing a song. At that moment I can choose the song I wanted to play. At the next song, the ritual starts again.

This issue does not occur when I play with Roon alone or with Stylus alone. Roon with Squeezelite is no problem either. Resetting everything I can reset does nothing. I've checked all settings within Roon and Stylus but don't see any problems. I've been playing with Stylus for several years, usually in combination with Roon, and this has never given me any problems.

It seems that something is going wrong when the bottom bar of the Roon app says “Nothing Playing” after playing a song. I don't know what it is, but it's a very annoying problem.

I use an Apple tablet to operate Euphony.

Are there any forum members who recognize this problem and know the solution or have suggestions?

Because linux changes the time in your bios to UTC+0, and when the os is loaded, the time zone is added. When you download windows, the os gets from the bios of your pc UTC+0. Europe/Berlin - UTC+2

....and how to avoid that linux changes the time in UEFI (Bios)? Isn't it a generell problem and shouldn't it happen to anybody else? This sounds realy weird.

Martin

13 hours ago, bummer said:

....and how to avoid that linux changes the time in UEFI (Bios)? Isn't it a generell problem and shouldn't it happen to anybody else? This sounds realy weird.

Martin

... and, do you realize that windows and linux are completely different systems? If you have a desire to use windows and linux on the same computer, be prepared for surprises... Start taking this little nuance as a feature, not a bug... and then everything will be fine.

Windows stores local time in the hardware clock. This has problem that when you are traveling and jumping between time zones, it may get confused what the real time is since it has no way of knowing which time zone the hardware clock was set to.

While Linux(/Unix) stores UTC time in the hardware clock and local time for presentation is computed by the OS depending on current user's time zone (each user may have a different time zone). This way there's never confusion what time the hardware clock represents.

Windows is built to be a singe concurrent user OS where only single user having a specific time zone is logged in at a time. Not that multiple users across the globe are simultaneously logged in and accessing the machine. While Linux/Unix systems are built ground up on the fact that there may be any number of logged in users at any time and they may be located anywhere on the globe, on different time zones.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

In Euphony v4 you can upsample using HQP or Euphony’s own upsampler. The latter is easier for sure but I didn’t get the same results. 

I’ve described the HQP way in the post above - the main difference in v4 is the config page of HQP has to be opened as a separate web page by pressing the HQPlayer Web UI button. And this is only possible when trying from a webpage version of Euphony (Euphony.local). 

But if you just wanted to launch HQP without making any setting changes, just switch to and select HQP as the output device. This is only possible if the DAC is connected and on. 

Not as easy as in v3 for sure. 😅

No significant functional difference, but I like the 5.18 kernel that was not available during beta. I haven't done any detailed comparison, but 5.18 sounds to me as the best compromise among the other kernel versions available. I also use HQPlayer in dual PC setup streaming via NAA to an endpoint, so it may be different in other systems.

Exactly. The kernel is a core part of the operating system that is used always and in all scenarios to communicate with the HW/FW layers and whatnot. So it may have an impact on SQ in all scenarios. I just mentioned that I'm using HQP only because it may change the effect of different kernel versions in use due to upsampling and filters its using, that will further affect the SQ.

4 minutes ago, flkin said:

Perhaps best to try and listen for yourselves the kernels offered. I found 5.18 not to my liking at all. Enormous amount of details and too tight. 5.11 too blur especially in the bass. For me 5.14 was the best compromise but needs some tweaking to optimize the sound. To each their own I guess. 

Definitely agree with that. I see in the thread that everyone has different impressions, so for sure listen. In my set-up 5.18 is the nicest to listen to. Very spacious with lots of detail but in a good way. Not tiring at all

Sorry, I'm not a very familiar with all this Linux installations, so I'll surely ask a dumb question here - does  kernel 5.18 (or follow up realizes) are includes in Euphony install when downloading?

How to obtain a new kernel on existing Euphony installation? 

Hoe to understand what kernel Euphony installation has?

Yes, it is part of the installation. In settings - system - system info you will find the item Kernel. The current version is highlighted, double-clicking on it will take you to the menu of other versions - 5.11, 5.14 and 5.18. You choose which one you want, it will be installed and then you just have to reboot. Ramroot must be disabled when changing Kernel.

For those of you who like Stylus for best sound, and like me, also have Roon and HQPe licenses lying around...

you can; activate Stylus + HQPe, so you can use Stylus for serious listening and the rest of the time use Roon (running on a different machine somewhere in your setup) into HQPe while discovering new music, adding stuff to the library etc.

Curious if any of you are using this model

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8