IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

On 9/7/2022 at 11:57 AM, Chopin75 said:

Yah i guess that might work.  U can

also get the DCC from audio-gd but i would definitely comfirm with Audio-gd

to make sure

it is compatible with your DAC, esp if u use I2S output. ; didn’t the audioByte moved to somewhere in US? I got an email from that guy once a while back. 

Hello,

Im very happy to let you know after update amanero firmware on my DDC --> my Dac can play native Dsd with Euphony via I2S connection (tested with dsd64) without any update for it

Have little issue: because Audiobyte didn't continued support Hydra Z DDC, i update direct from Amanero's tools. After finish, my DDC change name to Amanero combo384.

Thanks for your guide!!! 

So, installed the last Beta and the Roon+StylusEP is working via Squeezelite. But i have two problems:

-Roon+StylusEP woks but i cannot cahnge the volume in roon. Dont remember if thats a limitation that already existed or if something is broke. But having volume control is crucial for me.

-Roon+HQplayer and Stylus+HQplayer is not working for me. I have HQplayer embedded 4.30.2 and in the HQplayer settings page(ip:8090) always says "No internet access, please check your network!" Anda of course i have internet connection (Stylus alone works fine with Qobuz)

Some feedback from you guys is apreciated.

1 hour ago, BBPLEX2022 said:

So, installed the last Beta and the Roon+StylusEP is working via Squeezelite. But i have two problems:

-Roon+StylusEP woks but i cannot cahnge the volume in roon. Dont remember if thats a limitation that already existed or if something is broke. But having volume control is crucial for me.

-Roon+HQplayer and Stylus+HQplayer is not working for me. I have HQplayer embedded 4.30.2 and in the HQplayer settings page(ip:8090) always says "No internet access, please check your network!" Anda of course i have internet connection (Stylus alone works fine with Qobuz)

Some feedback from you guys is apreciated.

Volume control is DAC dependent... what DAC do you have?

HQPe has known difficulties if the PC has 2 Ethernet ports, doesn't know which one to use in its default configuration

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 9/5/2022 at 12:25 PM, bos3812 said:
I just want to follow up on my first impression of the new 5.18 kernel. It is always dangerous to give a first impression after listening for more than an hour. It is my experience that you always hear the good qualities first and only later, after having listened for a few days, you also start to hear the lesser qualities.

I was quite impressed with kernel 5.18's sound quality and still am. Kernel 5.14 and 5.18 are quite different from each other. One of the first things to notice is that kernel 5.18 displays the space very differently. Everything seems to get bigger and the space between instruments and musicians is better defined. 5.18 fills the room more with music, making you seem more involved in the music. This is especially noticeable during live recordings. 5.18 makes the recording more of a whole as opposed to 5.14 where all instruments and musicians are a bit more separated from each other. At 5.18 I have more of a live view feel. The sound of 5.18 is a bit more rounded and fuller without the detail reproduction suffering. If I had to describe the sound difference between the two kernels in a few words I would say: transistor (5.14) vs tubes (5.18). Since I'm a tube guy myself, that probably explains why I prefer 5.18.

However, both kernels are excellent and it is a matter of taste where the influence of your installation and the acoustics of your room also play an important role.

It's nice that Euphony releases kernels that sound very different from each other. Then you have something to choose from.

I agree with this assessment. If you’re a stickler for accurate sound and want the details in music to really “pop,” then choose kernel 5.14. If you want a more cohesive and well-rounded sound without that “pop,” choose kernel 5.18. 

On 9/11/2022 at 2:39 AM, casperhn said:

Hello,

Im very happy to let you know after update amanero firmware on my DDC --> my Dac can play native Dsd with Euphony via I2S connection (tested with dsd64) without any update for it

Have little issue: because Audiobyte didn't continued support Hydra Z DDC, i update direct from Amanero's tools. After finish, my DDC change name to Amanero combo384.

Thanks for your guide!!! 

Very glad it works! Good to know Amanero does supply FW directly.  Now your setup is similar to mine (just different brands). Did you or will you try DSD256 or even DSD512? Isn't DSD so wonderful? I can't deal with PCM once I start listening to DSD continuously. It easily beats even DXD. 

I swap very often the audio output in Euphony: 

- Back and forth on my main DAC (USB to the Euphony server) when I use my CD player and return to the streamer 

- When switching on my rpi in the kitchen used as UPNP end point 

Every time I want to refresh the available outputs to select the one just added, the app throws an error. In one out of two cases I need to restart the app to be able to activate the desired output and play music. V3 had this issue as well but a lot less - the app restart was required every few days. 

I was hoping this was going to be solved with the recent update. Nope. 

Anyone else has this issue? 

9 hours ago, al2813 said:

- Back and forth on my main DAC (USB to the Euphony server) when I use my CD player and return to the streamer 

- When switching on my rpi in the kitchen used as UPNP end point 

Every time I want to refresh the available outputs to select the one just added, the app throws an error. In one out of two cases I need to restart the app to be able to activate the desired output and play music. V3 had this issue as well but a lot less - the app restart was required every few days. 

I was hoping this was going to be solved with the recent update. Nope. 

Anyone else has this issue? 

Switching devices often causes loss of DAC sync, i.e.   switch between Stylus to HQPe output or swap DAC's attached to  DDC, then I get typical digital garbage.

If I go to settings > music service > {device} > info button there is a DAC reset button that fixes the issue without restarting app but thats a deep dive,

would be better if the DAC reset option could be accessed from a play screen sub menu with 1 click vs leaving the play screen, 4 clicks away

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

7 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Switching devices often causes loss of DAC sync, i.e.   switch between Stylus to HQPe output or swap DAC's attached to  DDC, then I get typical digital garbage.

If I go to settings > music service > {device} > info button there is a DAC reset button that fixes the issue without restarting app but thats a deep dive,

would be better if the DAC reset option could be accessed from a play screen sub menu with 1 click vs leaving the play screen, 4 clicks away

Maybe the simplest solution of all would be if choosing or re-selecting the active device on home screen always forced a DAC reset....it doesn't appear to do so now

when you change devices

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I am getting a 404 error when using the check update feature. Anyone had that or may it be that I'm misusing the feature to get the latest update? (I'm on the stable branch)

For the record I am using euphony from usb, as I haven't installed on the ssd (but I did finalise the install on the usb)

11 hours ago, al2813 said:

Hi,

If this is due to instable network and devices not being able to see each other, another solution could be to specify reserved addresses for your devices in your router settings.  Either give fixed IP-addresses or reserve MAC addresses. 
In Euphony system > system settings > fallback IP address (specify within the range of your DHCP server settings) , just in case.

5 hours ago, di-fi said:

You almost answered the question yourself ;-) Install first on internal drive to get updates (if available). I think for updates you have to make sure not to be in ramroot either.

Too bad for me, it's going to take me some time before I can try installing euphony for a dual boot and test if it works with updates.

But thxs for the heads up, I wasn't sure whether update was limited or not to ssd installations

11 hours ago, bbc802 said:

Too bad for me, it's going to take me some time before I can try installing euphony for a dual boot and test if it works with updates.

But thxs for the heads up, I wasn't sure whether update was limited or not to ssd installations

You can also install to usb, then you will be able to update.

7 minutes ago, Slainte said:

You can also install to usb, then you will be able to update.

Not sure I follow then. 

I have installed euphony to usb (with license of course). Are you saying that once installed on usb it is possible to update as well and that my error 404 has nothing to do with the fact that updates might be restricted to only ssd install?

1 hour ago, bbc802 said:

Not sure I follow then. 

I have installed euphony to usb (with license of course). Are you saying that once installed on usb it is possible to update as well and that my error 404 has nothing to do with the fact that updates might be restricted to only ssd install?

You should have the option "Complete installation" when registered, when you do this you can choose for the usb stick as target. Afterwards you can use the update function.

2 hours ago, Slainte said:

You should have the option "Complete installation" when registered, when you do this you can choose for the usb stick as target. Afterwards you can use the update function.

Ok, thxs for the clarification.

As I already did that a long time ago, I'll check with support why I'm having an issue. 

Still very much liking my kernel 14, so no hurry to update but I'd better do make sure I can otherwise the concept of a subscription is totally wasted.

2 hours ago, Slainte said:

Maybe this is useful? p. 60

http://www.audiokernel.com/EuphonyGuide.pdf

4.3.4 Install Install option is not available for unregistered installations. Install option is not available on systems made by this function or on pre-installed SSD drives. Install will perform Euphony installation/repair on another disk (not on your current running Euphony instance). If your first Euphony installation came to you as a USB image and you have a dedicated machine for use as Euphony system then you will probably want to have it on your machine’s hard disk. (You may also want to show Euphony to a friend and put it on his usb). You can perform such an installation here. (Note that installation from Euphony Web Application is faster and simpler than writing original Euphony image file to target disk). Install section will not be shown if there are no possible target devices attached (You cannot install it on disk from which you booted the system up.) If you go to the Settings screen and attach a device after that, refresh the page so the app can pick up changes). Important: after starting installation don’t leave the Install screen until installation is finished.

time changes for two hours

every time I boot up into Euphony and later go back to windows the windows OS time has changed for exactly two hours (two hours earlier when back in windows). This happens every time and is reproducible.

Does anybody know why this happens and how I can stop this?

Regards

Martin

8 hours ago, bummer said:

time changes for two hours

every time I boot up into Euphony and later go back to windows the windows OS time has changed for exactly two hours (two hours earlier when back in windows). This happens every time and is reproducible.

Does anybody know why this happens and how I can stop this?

Regards

Martin

Not sure it has to do with this but you could check your time zone setting in Euphony 

F349BE6A-350F-4ECF-85F5-7F8E470A349D.jpeg

3 hours ago, bummer said:

live in Germany and have set timezone to Europe/Berlin. This should be right but dispite this time differs for two hours.

Because linux changes the time in your bios to UTC+0, and when the os is loaded, the time zone is added. When you download windows, the os gets from the bios of your pc UTC+0. Europe/Berlin - UTC+2