IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

19 minutes ago, RichardK said:

I have Roon Core on a different machine than the intended Squeezelite player(on the new Euphony beta). Roon can not find Squeeze player with the new beta so for me it is not fixed unfortunately

Probably you have done this but does it matter if you activate squeezelite in both Roon settings, so also on the Euphony computer?

I have been pretty much decided to migrate my Euphony server from a low powered (too low powered and limited to 8gb RAM) Jetway N2930 motherboard to a NUC. The reason was that I have now a 4A 12v custom LPS that was made specifically for my server and has been giving me extraordinary results SQ wise. The only issue is that I am limited to motherboards that can be fed 12v - So NUC  seemed to me the obvious option, but if people get good results with Celeron I can maybe find a motherboard that has 12v DC in (like my current one - but with a bit more power and more RAM). Any recommendations?

47 minutes ago, al2813 said:

I have been pretty much decided to migrate my Euphony server from a low powered (too low powered and limited to 8gb RAM) Jetway N2930 motherboard to a NUC. The reason was that I have now a 4A 12v custom LPS that was made specifically for my server and has been giving me extraordinary results SQ wise. The only issue is that I am limited to motherboards that can be fed 12v - So NUC  seemed to me the obvious option, but if people get good results with Celeron I can maybe find a motherboard that has 12v DC in (like my current one - but with a bit more power and more RAM). Any recommendations?

Gigabyte GA-IMB1900TN. It needs 12V external feed. I use it with a JCat XE USB card. 

1 hour ago, al2813 said:

Hi, I suppose you need passive cooling? In my experience a (server) board with Xeon processor gives better results for audio than the Celeron J1900 (both passive cooling+ JCAT Femto Ethernet). But I do also believe bos2812 has better results with the lower powered unit. 

Anyone using the new beta in Stylus with HQPe mode will need to update to the latest kernel.  If you had already been using the new kernel you'll need to update it again after installing the beta.  Stylus and HQPe will not work with the previous kernel.  Also remember to update to the latest version of HQPe after upgrading to the beta.  Everything works well with latest kernel and beta.  I still need to test Roon with HQPe but expect that to work fine as well.

I've been playing some tracks modified by PGGB using Stylus and HQPe.  Stylus doesn't always recognize the metadata from these tracks the way it should.  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  I'm currently comparing a PGGB modified track to it HQPe upsampled.  The difference is very subtle. I want to say there's a bit more depth (front to back) to the PGGB version.  Sometimes I think I hear the difference but am not 100% certain.  Very subtle.

2 hours ago, di-fi said:

Hi, I suppose you need passive cooling? In my experience a (server) board with Xeon processor gives better results for audio than the Celeron J1900 (both passive cooling+ JCAT Femto Ethernet). But I do also believe bos2812 has better results with the lower powered unit. 

I had tried using passive cooling with a single i9 but it got too hot.  I'm now successfully using passive cooling with 2 Xeons but the case is different.  The Taiko DIY case heatsink is massive and does a great job at pulling heat away from the procs.  My temps when upsampling PCM are typically steady around 50 Celsius. 

48 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Anyone using the new beta in Stylus with HQPe mode will need to update to the latest kernel.  If you had already been using the new kernel you'll need to update it again after installing the beta.  Stylus and HQPe will not work with the previous kernel.  Also remember to update to the latest version of HQPe after upgrading to the beta.  Everything works well with latest kernel and beta.  I still need to test Roon with HQPe but expect that to work fine as well.

I've been playing some tracks modified by PGGB using Stylus and HQPe.  Stylus doesn't always recognize the metadata from these tracks the way it should.  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  I'm currently comparing a PGGB modified track to it HQPe upsampled.  The difference is very subtle. I want to say there's a bit more depth (front to back) to the PGGB version.  Sometimes I think I hear the difference but am not 100% certain.  Very subtle.

Are the HQPe and the PGGB The same sample rate?

what settings are you using?  Are you using the EC modulators or is that just for DSD?  (I have not used HQPe for a long time)

I wonder if the CPU isolation is working better with the new release?

just as a sidenote, I noticed when I was doing CPU isolation V3, that some processes had an affinity for a specific CPU and would not move. I would just leave that process on its preferred CPU and move everything else. In the end this gave me the most relaxed sound.

I look forward to hearing how people use Euphony 4 with the two xenon processors.

I wonder if you even need to use stylus EP? 

57 minutes ago, drjimwillie said:

Are the HQPe and the PGGB The same sample rate?

Yes. Apples to apples.  I have the Holo May DAC so push to either PCM 1.4M or 1.5M depending on the original frequency

what settings are you using?  Are you using the EC modulators or is that just for DSD?  (I have not used HQPe for a long time)

Most of my music is PCM but I do have some DSD.  As of now I prefer the sinc-L filters and LNS15 dither.

I wonder if the CPU isolation is working better with the new release?

just as a sidenote, I noticed when I was doing CPU isolation V3, that some processes had an affinity for a specific CPU and would not move. I would just leave that process on its preferred CPU and move everything else. In the end this gave me the most relaxed sound.

I look forward to hearing how people use Euphony 4 with the two xenon processors.

I wonder if you even need to use stylus EP? 

Would you mind sharing your proc isolation settings? I haven't played around with this yet and am curious.

I have received from Zeljko another 10 days of trial, because of my problem of ethernet disconnecting, and nothing helped. Kernel change to 5.18 also nothing. I am back to V3 :-(. For me best SQ is V4 + HPe + ramroot, but I don't want to hard reset every time I want to listen music. Hope, they find any solution. Is anybody here with the same problem? According to Linux forums is this problem with kernel 5.10 and above. Thanks

19 minutes ago, flkin said:

The above is the recent beta release. Doesn't seem to be any new stable release yet.

Then the Squeezelite is fixed entry is probably wrong or I might misunderstand. I am assuming that when I activate Squeezelite on Euphony, a Roon instance with Squeezebox support enabled should see the player on the Euphony system it as well as any Logitech Media Server as long as I do not switch them on simultaneously. For me that does not work.

I do see that Squeeze is recognized when I use StylusEP though. That is good enough for me

19 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Would you mind sharing your proc isolation settings? I haven't played around with this yet and am curious.

I do not have the isolation settings currently because of the fresh install of V4. 

I did document it, with the intent of sharing, but I never got the time. I will see if I can find it.

When the enhanced CPU isolation setting came out it was well documented on this thread by @TheAttorney, I think. 
this was back during the Covid lockdown time. 

although, there was no mention of the processes that seem to have an affinity for some CPUs.

Somewhere on the Euphony site there is a document that tells you how to do it. 

I don’t have time to narrate this now. And it may be a little confusing without narration because I am using two computers. A XEON four core/8 virtual core computer (CAPS Pipeline) that I was using The server and a ASUS ROG crosshair VII with Ryzen 7 3700X 8 core/16 virtual core (Nenon build) that I was just using as an endpoint.  

I will post my screenshots and I will post some of the info from others on this thread. 
you will see as I progress, that the CPU threads only have one activity as I am progressing and that the CPU isolation gets more specific.

E4038638-6081-4E86-97AF-3178F56483A2.jpeg

EDC2F6E5-86CE-42D2-AB44-5B5CA635ACD2.jpeg

DD2FE052-3B78-4E6C-8C44-DA52D5E85DF1.jpeg

8CB79D51-5B20-4C1C-BBC6-DF130F6511CB.jpeg

C751EA13-4A23-4AEE-B703-69829196CA24.jpeg

4E31889B-FBBE-4C7D-A52B-0E9FDB863C3E.jpeg

05AF6A6C-3AD2-479D-A0FC-08254E66CF1C.jpeg

18BA6F5E-6B49-4993-A6B8-59A6E7BA21A8.png

2ADA206F-2AE5-4E34-A096-7E5A9570E527.jpeg

F61C0D1D-1D91-43FD-951D-C9139B3A1229.jpeg

CB5D3C35-2EA2-4E13-A21F-C2CA192DD347.jpeg

82AA30B3-30A1-46B8-8644-DA04DF7C7CEC.jpeg

39D504E7-81D0-4D9C-A806-FDE862324A8B.jpeg

E8A57276-6929-4F4B-9EB5-A222EE85C4BF.jpeg

C280380D-F08D-4F48-A018-7B80312CB4A1.jpeg

E046BD32-B840-408E-8A68-B33A922C03F6.jpeg

33D00A90-FD09-4F96-B9B6-90B23B5BFFA2.jpeg

21627AEA-5BF2-4142-BC3B-29E474A8F7AF.jpeg

88775C6E-7B60-4F4A-80BD-DCF66A54FB89.jpeg

1808A29F-51CC-42FC-9CBE-5A1F1ED47040.jpeg

133E58DC-9797-4A33-9E80-41383280954F.jpeg

Hello all Stylus users 🙂
I tag my albums following the discogs model, i.e. "genre" contains main information and "style" contains finer information
(for example
 Genre: Electronic,
 Style: ambient, drone, ambient techno, industrial)

Am I the only one who needs the “style” field in the stylus filters to avoid retagging my 3000+ albums? 

2 minutes ago, PavelDosko said:

Someone here asked a while ago about comparing the SQ Euphony V4 with another solution. Also because I am dissatisfied with the way Euphony treated existing V3 customers, I tried the JCAT solution, namely Windows Server 2019 + JPLAY Femto. In my setup SQ JPLAY the Femto test version outperformed the V4 in terms of detail in music, tone decay, front-rear space, and overall analog sound. A lifetime license of JPLAY Femto with further innovations costs 150 Euro.

Did you do any optimisation to the WinSer19? Or just used it as is?