IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

4 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Stylus with HQPe works fine. Roon with HQPlayer does not. Roon's error says HQPlayer may need an update. I submitted a ticket to Zeljko. 

Upsampling works fine for me with both HQPlayer and Stylus. Stylus upsampling on its own is actually pretty good. 

So Zeljko pointed out something I missed and really like about v4. In the Settings of Music Service you can select HQPlayer version selection/update. From there you can select the past 5 versions of HQPe. Similar to selecting different kernel versions this is a huge benefit and hopefully means Zeljko will be releasing the latest version of HQPe when it is perpetually updated. 

Roon works with HQPe if you have the right version selected. 

On 8/27/2022 at 2:29 PM, davide256 said:

You never stated what your server HW  solution was. The waiting for IP address makes me question specifically what you are doing for NIC (s). HQPe is not user friendly to dual NIC machines 

Yeah it was fine but now isn’t working… doing a million things to fix this so I won’t bore you with the full detail for now. Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Pro with latest Intel chip. 

I do get one Euphony error on boot 

Failed to start Apply cpupower configuration

Could be a red herring…

After Euphony boots I get 00 on the motherboard (non -descript error) and a looping error of it cannot find IP address. Happens on both JCAT network card and internal motherboard card. No green lights on the network but I do get the orange light suggesting network connection. 

Really frustrating! 

1 hour ago, TimF said:

Yeah it was fine but now isn’t working… doing a million things to fix this so I won’t bore you with the full detail for now. Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Pro with latest Intel chip. 

I do get one Euphony error on boot 

Failed to start Apply cpupower configuration

Could be a red herring…

After Euphony boots I get 00 on the motherboard (non -descript error) and a looping error of it cannot find IP address. Happens on both JCAT network card and internal motherboard card. No green lights on the network but I do get the orange light suggesting network connection. 

Really frustrating! 

Tim I get 00 too but everything works fine. It used to say A0

9 minutes ago, TimF said:

I’m sure this is a Euphony issue now. Rebuilt the whole computer with Windows 10 using the JCAT network card and this is working. I am now stuck 🤕

Ideas welcome…. 

Hi Tim, 

I also had the 00 on my Asus motherboard but everything worked fine.

I had two streamers with Euphony V3, the more complex Asus WS C246 Pro motherboard with Xeon CPU, Apacer Ram and Intel Optane SSD and a cheap Gigabyte GA-IMB1900TN motherboard with build in J1900 Celeron processor and standard RAM and SSD. To my big surprise the cheap motherboard sounded a lot better. Less electric noise is probably the cause for the better sound. So I bought a license for Euphony V4 for my cheap streamer and kept the V3 version on the Asus streamer. What I want to say with this is just try another cheap build. Maybe this will work and it can also surprise you. Just an idea.

Boot from USB now working, I have NO idea why after changing routers and all sorts of things. My windows build is working so I will try to move Euphony back to the hard disk soon. Just making sure the JCAT XE is on the latest firmware as Euphony over USB doesn't see it (basic JCAT card is working). 

4 hours ago, bos3812 said:

I had two streamers with Euphony V3, the more complex Asus WS C246 Pro motherboard with Xeon CPU, Apacer Ram and Intel Optane SSD and a cheap Gigabyte GA-IMB1900TN motherboard with build in J1900 Celeron processor and standard RAM and SSD. To my big surprise the cheap motherboard sounded a lot better. Less electric noise is probably the cause for the better sound.

Hi, thanks for sharing. To put this in perspective. When you say regarding V4: 

I tried the new kernel version and in one word: WOW!! The first thing I noticed is that the new version is a lot cleaner. Because it is cleaner you can hear more detail. It has more air, a better soundstage, more depth but it also sounds more organic. This is not a subtle change but IMO huge.

You tested V4 (installed on SSD) on the cheap Gigabyte GA-IMB1900TN motherboard with build in J1900 Celeron processor and standard RAM and SSD? And it beat hands down V3 installed on the Xeon board/Apacer/Optane  combination? Did you try with or w/o ramroot?

I am asking because I am comparing two similar set-ups in V3 and only one will go to V4.

Hi,

me and some friends have some questions, maybe some of you know the answers.

If I start Roon Core + StylusEP on a single audio pc

• how can I find out in Roon that StylusEP is the output? Is there "StylusEP" in Roon=>Settings=>Audio shown the way HQPlayer would be shown?
  • is it really working on a single machine? We are not sure what the Euphony manual is telling us
1 hour ago, di-fi said:

Hi, thanks for sharing. To put this in perspective. When you say regarding V4: 

I tried the new kernel version and in one word: WOW!! The first thing I noticed is that the new version is a lot cleaner. Because it is cleaner you can hear more detail. It has more air, a better soundstage, more depth but it also sounds more organic. This is not a subtle change but IMO huge.

You tested V4 (installed on SSD) on the cheap Gigabyte GA-IMB1900TN motherboard with build in J1900 Celeron processor and standard RAM and SSD? And it beat hands down V3 installed on the Xeon board/Apacer/Optane  combination? Did you try with or w/o ramroot?

I am asking because I am comparing two similar set-ups in V3 and only one will go to V4.

Hi di-fi,

I also tested V4 on my Xeon board, with and without ramroot. When I compared both motherboards the sound was really different. The Xeon system was a little bit more transparent but the Celeron system was more natural, palpable and organic. It was more musical. On both motherboards I used the JCat XE USB-card.  I liked the cheap motherboard much more. If you look to a few well-known manufactures, who produce computer based streamers, they mostly use these sort of cheaper motherboards with a lower power CPU. (Innuos, Antipodes). Some even use some sort of Raspberry Pi or NUC. I know, some do the opposite, like Taiko Audio. It's a choice and a matter of taste. I builded both systems because I wanted to know which one I liked most. 

1 hour ago, bos3812 said:

Hi di-fi,

I also tested V4 on my Xeon board, with and without ramroot. When I compared both motherboards the sound was really different. The Xeon system was a little bit more transparent but the Celeron system was more natural, palpable and organic. It was more musical. On both motherboards I used the JCat XE USB-card.  I liked the cheap motherboard much more. If you look to a few well-known manufactures, who produce computer based streamers, they mostly use these sort of cheaper motherboards with a lower power CPU. (Innuos, Antipodes). Some even use some sort of Raspberry Pi or NUC. I know, some do the opposite, like Taiko Audio. It's a choice and a matter of taste. I builded both systems because I wanted to know which one I liked most. 

Hi bos3182,

Thanks. We are exploring in a similar way. Actually I am comparing both MB (Celeron & Xeon) and Euphony V3 also to/with the lower power Antipodes S30 fed by Ferrum Hypsos PS. I have not decided yet (but S30 is a surprisingly empty and expensive box).

Currently I am testing and asking around here to find out about RAM and also SSD or possible NVMe improvements to not have to purchase a M2 Femto ;-).

I am having very good results with the direct (short cable) connexion over Ethernet net in a dual set-up. For example Euphony (bridged) to S30 player or between both MB's. 

Once stable, the next step is Euphony V4. No rush. 

! A big thank you to all the V4 testing many are doing and sharing here !

33 minutes ago, di-fi said:

Hi bos3182,

Thanks. We are exploring in a similar way. Actually I am comparing both MB (Celeron & Xeon) and Euphony V3 also to/with the lower power Antipodes S30 fed by Ferrum Hypsos PS. I have not decided yet (but S30 is a surprisingly empty and expensive box).

Currently I am testing and asking around here to find out about RAM and also SSD or possible NVMe improvements to not have to purchase a M2 Femto ;-).

I am having very good results with the direct (short cable) connexion over Ethernet net in a dual set-up. For example Euphony (bridged) to S30 player or between both MB's. 

Once stable, the next step is Euphony V4. No rush. 

! A big thank you to all the V4 testing many are doing and sharing here !

Let us know what is your final result. We all could benefit with that.

3 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Is it possible to roll back to the stable version after installing the beta?

It should be. Beta versions should be no different in content or structure - they just contain new stuff that Euphony would like you to try before issuing a stable version. Roll back shouldn't care what version is on the other partition. Of course, unless the BETA version has bugs that will mess with Revert function... Use it at your own risk!

2 hours ago, tom_on_wheels said:
  • how can I find out in Roon that StylusEP is the output? Is there "StylusEP" in Roon=>Settings=>Audio shown the way HQPlayer would be shown?
  • is it really working on a single machine? We are not sure what the Euphony manual is telling us

I guess there is a bug in Roon or in Euphony. If 3 friends and I choose "Roon core + StylusEP" as audio system and then choose "Activate LMS Support" in Roon=>Settings=>System there is an error message that a LMS should be closed. All people have no LMS installation running. This error avoids StylusEP to show up in Settings=>Audio.

The question is on which side is the bug? Roon or Euphony?

1 hour ago, RichardK said:

In my opinion Roon always gives this message to warn people that they should not have an LMS instance running somewhere because then Roon's Squeezebox support will not work. 

For me it worked normally in Euphony 3 and since 4 it does not find the Squeeze player

I installed the new beta version. Everythings works so far and Roon can find Squeezelite. That bug is fixed with this Beta version. So we can use Roon with Stylus EP from now. A minor downside is that you have to update Roon from version 1.7 to 1.8 again.