IGNORED

My Favorite Album Covers / Artwork

Well, I find myself attracted, for good or bad, by the artwork on album covers. If it is interesting enough, it will get me to listen to the music. :)

Please feel free to post your favorite covers here, as many as you wish. If you want to add some commentary about what you like about 'em, that would be great! 

-Paul 

Here are three of my favorites.  :) 

1027328839_ScreenShot2019-03-03at9_46_03PM.thumb.png.6b0f87152a7c764abbe760cdaa720191.png

The Captain's cover was, and still is, a deep dive into true weirdness. Especially if you try to figure it out while listening to the title song. 

352754079_ScreenShot2019-03-03at9_47_00PM.thumb.png.52f3f0ce477e08b0e9da583a4f92336e.png

Okay, Gerry Rafferty was just the epitome of cool when this album came out. Everyone wanted to wear cool shades, a light beard, scarf, and jeans. Come to think of it, that is what I wear almost every day myself, except for the scarf. Must mean I have some trace of "cool" in me too. 

172551819_ScreenShot2019-03-03at9_48_55PM.thumb.png.043bd1bbe935e941961256acec50ad7e.png

Everyone knows the Cinderella story, but this music will always be the definitive telling of the story for me. (Well, if you include the Ballet. There is a version of the ballet with this music where the evil step sisters are far more comical than evil. Pole dancing even... ;) It just doesn't get any better than this!

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

2 hours ago, cambridgehank said:

My all time favorite album cover.  I had the poster in my dorm room and my house for 30 years. You have to really study the artwork.

image.png.bc73657eb4220a405244cc8a6c577c8d.png

oh my gosh - that is just cool. I have seen it before, but never noticed more than the Lion. Was it always B&W or was there a color version? 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, diecaster said:

This is one is great and very much a big risk considering the date of release: 

Not really. It was considered acceptably cool and risque. Was displayed in supermarkets and drugstores and no one got upset.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Not really. It was considered acceptably cool and risque. Was displayed in supermarkets and drugstores and no one got upset.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/features/7370623/herb-alpert-whipped-cream-other-delights-story-behind-album-cover-50-years-later

Herb Alpert does not agree.

An excerpt:

“My first reaction was, 'Holy shit, man. Too racy,'” Alpert says. “Obviously now it would hardly register, but at the time I thought, 'Wow, that’s a little much.'

2 hours ago, diecaster said:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/features/7370623/herb-alpert-whipped-cream-other-delights-story-behind-album-cover-50-years-later

Herb Alpert does not agree.

An excerpt:

“My first reaction was, 'Holy shit, man. Too racy,'” Alpert says. “Obviously now it would hardly register, but at the time I thought, 'Wow, that’s a little much.'

Irrelevant appeal to a non authority. Like I wrote, it was sold and on display everywhere and it wasn't a big deal. In supermarkets and drugstores back then, if they thought something was over the line it was either "under the counter" or hidden by a paper wrapping (for instance, Playboy mag, that didn't even have  nudes on the cover back then). That's the reality.

Herb Alpert was already an "old fogy" in 1966, and his  clouded memories aren't a standard for judging much. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)