IGNORED

CD players are back ?

1 hour ago, Miska said:

For me too, for any recording whatsoever someone prefers to listen. But also with excellent sound quality and excellent technical performance.

On Friday evenings I play deep house and progressive trance records while cooking. That's my habit, and I want all that from those too!

Excellent.....

A little Orbital? Sasha? Some of which is actually recorded well also......

1 hour ago, Miska said:

For me too, for any recording whatsoever someone prefers to listen. But also with excellent sound quality and excellent technical performance.

On Friday evenings I play deep house and progressive trance records while cooking. That's my habit, and I want all that from those too!

A competent ensemble can handle anything - I could play a Nellie Melba recording made in the 1910's, and then go straight to some recent electronica - or go in the opposite direction ... both would 'work', reveal their 'musicality' without effort in the listening ... that's the reward when a rig is lifted to a high enough level.

48 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Correction, what you are saying is what you believe to be true. In other words, that is your opinion. While very important, there is no way to quantify how much difference mastering makes. Nevertheless, there is no question that the quality of the original recording and mastering is far more important than the format in which it is recorded.

BTW, you don't need "golden ears" to hear the differences between between lossy and lossless, or CD quality and Hi Res. What you apparently covet are the ears or systems of the many forum members who do hear them.

^^This^^ reminds me of where I currently am posting:

Not the Sound Science forum over at Head-Fi, where beliefs such as the above would get Allan marginalized, but an audiophile forum, where impressions matter more than exact measurements.

Carry on!

2 hours ago, The_K-Man said:

Different masterings make at least ten times the audible difference that different digital formats(Red Book, Wav vs High Res vs lossy MP3) make, unless one has coveted 'Golden Ears'.

Ok sure, no question that different masterings are audible and that compression causes loss of dynamic range etc ... but what does that have to do with the supposed resurgence in CD players (and implicitly comparing to computer based rips) ie the topic of this thread

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

6 hours ago, fas42 said:

A competent ensemble can handle anything - I could play a Nellie Melba recording made in the 1910's, and then go straight to some recent electronica - or go in the opposite direction ... both would 'work', reveal their 'musicality' without effort in the listening ... that's the reward when a rig is lifted to a high enough level.

That's what I get on my system. :)

That, some Tangerine Dream maybe, hires Daft Punk, or some hires Fresh Moods, etc.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 hours ago, Allan F said:

If there is any relevance to the above post, it totally escapes me. If you can't hear the difference between lossless CD quality playback, let alone Hi Res, and lossy MP3, why are you posting in an audiophile forum?

Because I'm trying to spread some SCIENCE in here, instead of nitpicking over differences even a flea might not discern.

Also, some of you might want to learn how a song is recorded and mixed, and how an album is mastered, so you can learn where more obvious differences, as represented in my profile pic, come from.  Again - It's not from the formats.

24 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Sorry, but IMO you missed the point. It's not a reaction to either science or engineering. It's a reaction to the superior and baiting attitude adopted by a newbie poster.

Ok I can agree with that especially since you have previously mentioned Orbital and Sasha (many a happy night at Reconnaissance in the 90's).

1 hour ago, marce said:

Ok I can agree with that especially since you have previously mentioned Orbital and Sasha (many a happy night at Reconnaissance in the 90's).

I am afraid that you have me confused with someone else, but I am glad that they brought you joy. :)

Credit where credit is due:

17 hours ago, Albrecht said:

Excellent.....

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

8 minutes ago, marce said:

Woops at that age when short term memory is not 

Tell me about it! :) Approaching my 13th anniversary of retirement.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

5 minutes ago, Abtr said:

Does it sound better than USB computer audio in your opinion?

Don't forget also, that the PWT does not have to be used in combination with their own DAC.

My friend's older model PWT was used with an existing DAC that he had.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 minutes ago, new_media said:

...which is essentially a highly specialized computer. 

Yes. The exact reason you should, when ever possible, use a DIY "audio" computer or go for a 1. Player  2. Streamer 3. a Whatever,  that is optimized for audio.   Home computers are for email, not music playback, unless the home computer is used for casual background music in which case, I would state the computer is a fine device.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law