IGNORED

CD players are back ?

Yes, I was being generic in my response ^_^ ... Sheffield Lab is the main offender, a bit of DMP, a couple of others I would need to look up - their 'crime' is a sense of sterility, being Politically Correct; I always need to put on a joyous recording following, to take the taste of sitting bolt upright, with perfect posture while nodding approvingly, out of my mouth, :D.

I listen to extremely little from the loudness war era - recordings prior to that have everything for good listening, including pop and rock - I can point here to the original ABBA album; this blows me away every time I put it on - a powerhouse of musical vitality ...

9 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Another "audiophile" label was DCC ("Digital Compact Classics").  Steve Hoffman definitely used some specialized tube gear between the tape playback and digital capture devices for "warmth".  So there is precedent for "distortions" in the mastering chain.  Were the DCC discs the best masters in their day?  I would say almost always.  Do they all hold up today to modern, "white glove" mastering?  Meh.

Perhaps I was not clear enough, I was discussing audiophile labels who make their own recordings. Such recordings are audiophile from the microphones to the finished product.

DCC, like MFSL. etc. are audiophile remaster labels. They remaster major label recordings.

Also, Analogue Productions releases remastered material as well, if you want their own recordings make sure it says Analogue Productions Originals or APO.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Another album that is a true masterpiece: Bridge Over Troubled Waters - I have just an el cheapo release CD ... but this is music that is absolutely fabulous ... a tremendous emotional ride every time  I listen through the whole album, from start to finish  - which is the way I aways listen to music, BTW.

53 minutes ago, Teresa said:

Also, Analogue Productions releases remastered material as well, if you want their own recordings make sure it says Analogue Productions Originals or APO.

AP's remastered classic blues and jazz albums are also typically very good.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

5 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Well, this is a test, for others ... to me, there is something very obvious in the quality of the sound, perfectly clear in spite of being YouTube, etc - can you pick it?

Being as it's playing through the microphone(s) of the recording camera it's not that obvious to me.

2 hours ago, matthias said:

Great sound  with a simple cd player

With that CD player and a pair of single-driver speakers? Not possible.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

31 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Well, a bit more detail is helpful ... it's an actual, very marked characteristic - specifically, it's one that I battled with 30 years ago ...

hubris?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

10 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

Being as it's playing through the microphone(s) of the recording camera it's not that obvious to me.

The camera mic is not limiting in the slightest what I'm talking about - but the clarity of the setup you're watching the clip on may be clouding it somewhat.

1 minute ago, The_K-Man said:

I know.  For audiophiles, great sound is not possible with fewer than 6 drivers per cabinet!

Just for you, :) ... one of my experiments was using a cheap Aldi Blu-ray player, connected to an Aldi flat screen TV, via HDMI/ Played some CDs, and just using the inbuilt, tiny front facing speakers of the TV itself - I was able to coax out a pretty decent sound field. No bass, the plastic rattled when the volume got up, the limits of the amps were reached quickly - but it threw up an acceptable soundstage ... just to show, "how low can you go ... ?" ^_^.

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

Just for you, :) ... one of my experiments was using a cheap Aldi Blu-ray player, connected to an Aldi flat screen TV, via HDMI/ Played some CDs, and just using the inbuilt, tiny front facing speakers of the TV itself - I was able to coax out a pretty decent sound field. No bass, the plastic rattled when the volume got up, the limits of the amps were reached quickly - but it threw up an acceptable soundstage ... just to show, "how low can you go ... ?" ^_^.

Great content will shine through, even in circumstances and on gear as you described.