IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

On 11/23/2019 at 12:00 AM, music2diy4 said:

I’ve seen earlier posts about using a SFP to RJ45 Copper module in the opticalRendu, including a recommendation for using this one.  All of the discussions about such usage I’ve seen only referenced 1000BASE-T only modules.  Has anyone tried a 10/100/1000BASE-T SFP RJ45 Copper Module such as this one in the opticalRendu so that it could be used with the Uptone EtherRegen “100MB only” B-Port? Or, is it already understood that the oR will work solely with 1000BASE-T only Copper modules?

That RJ45 SFP is know to work. However, RJ45 SFPs are more electrically noisy compared to optical SFPs. Since optical isolates you from the network you want to keep things as clean as possible in the Rendu. Only 1000 speed SFPs are supported on the opticalRendu. My recommendation is to use things as follows:

1092698344_ScreenShot2019-11-23at4_12_46PM.thumb.png.314b7ce99a397d0c8e6d29586e3db647.png

12 hours ago, vortecjr said:

That RJ45 SFP is know to work. However, RJ45 SFPs are more electrically noisy compared to optical SFPs. Since optical isolates you from the network you want to keep things as clean as possible in the Rendu. Only 1000 speed SFPs are supported on the opticalRendu. My recommendation is to use things as follows:

1092698344_ScreenShot2019-11-23at4_12_46PM.thumb.png.314b7ce99a397d0c8e6d29586e3db647.png

Thanks, for answering the question on whether the 10/100/1000 SFP could provide 100 compatibility for the opticalRendu.  I’ve used the opticalRendu in both of the suggested configurations with great results.  The 1st option with the opticalModule has performed better than the option without.  I'm currently using a Ubiquiti US-8-150W switch between my opticalModule that feeds the opticalRendu and my LMS server.

On 11/18/2019 at 7:55 PM, lxgreen said:

Correct. Current set up is router ->copper Ethernet> B side EtherRegen copper input> then output from  A side EtherRegen optical > optical Signature RenduSE. I’m going to try and use OM with my Apple TV.

glad you got it working.

can you share any observations re: sound quality differences between eR and oM in your system?

15 minutes ago, sgb said:

Thats strange. So if I am using a Sonore product in conjunction with a UpTone product I am not supposed to discusse it here. Where shall I discusse it then? 

You are welcome to in any of the active threads in UpTone's sponsored area.

But this is the opticalRendu thread and the person I replied to was asking about differences between the Sonore opticalModule and the UpTone EtherREGEN.  There are a number of owners of both (actually all three) products posting in the EtherREGEN Listening Impressions thread.

I thought the OM was definite improvement to my Sonore optical Signature Rendu over the generic module I used previously. When I switched to the ER I honestly not so sure if any difference from the OM. Since I can not use the OM with the ER the way I had planned,  I moved OM to use with my Apple TV (with second FMC) and convinces myself the video and sound were slightly improved.

On 11/24/2019 at 12:22 AM, music2diy4 said:

Thanks, for answering the question on whether the 10/100/1000 SFP could provide 100 compatibility for the opticalRendu.  I’ve used the opticalRendu in both of the suggested configurations with great results.  The 1st option with the opticalModule has performed better than the option without.  I'm currently using a Ubiquiti US-8-150W switch between my opticalModule that feeds the opticalRendu and my LMS server.

I'm confident customers will get excellent sound with both configurations. I'm also okay with you liking one over the other. Enjoy.

15 hours ago, Superdad said:

@lxgreen and @cat6man: Out of courtesy, please do not discuss UpTone products in Sonore sponsored area threads.  Thank you.

If the are directly comparing things I feel it's up to them to decide where they want to post it. 

12 hours ago, cat6man said:

i was actually asking about the sound of the opticalRendu (which i own and is the subject of this thread) fed by one or the other of oM (which i also own) vs eR (which i will own in January), so i thought it was appropriate here.  the original poster was evaluating his opticalRendu in his system with the oM and eR.  i was just asking what his impressions were, the subject of feeding the oR with either the oM or eR already being on the table.

i am happy to move the discussion wherever but i was asking about opticalRendu sound.

maybe you and Jesus can determine where this is most appropriate.

I think you are in the right place. 

5 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I think you are in the right place. 

thank you jesus

i thought the oM+oR was a big improvement in my audio system compared with copper to an ultraRendu.

i will try the eR with my system in january with the better sounding configuration staying in my audio system and the

other (oM or eR plus lps-1.2) going into my video system (feeding an nvidia shield) where there have been reports of video benefits.

sounds like a win-win

happy turkey day everyone!

5 hours ago, cat6man said:

thank you jesus

i thought the oM+oR was a big improvement in my audio system compared with copper to an ultraRendu.

i will try the eR with my system in january with the better sounding configuration staying in my audio system and the

other (oM or eR plus lps-1.2) going into my video system (feeding an nvidia shield) where there have been reports of video benefits.

sounds like a win-win

happy turkey day everyone!

That has been the consensus, but I understand the need to try something new. 

15 hours ago, barrows said:

Hi guys, one thing to consider very carefully when trying all of these different combinations is which power supplies are you using.  Just be sure to audition things like the opticalModule with the best possible power supply before comparing to something else.  It can sometimes be quite surprising how much difference the "right" power supply makes with each different component.

agreed.  the lps-1.2/oM combo is wonderful

• 2 weeks later...

General question on PS - I noticed the PS offered by SGC for use with only the OR is rated at 7v/50w (7.5A ?) but the alternative recommend PS’s state 7v/ 1-2A variants (teddy, UpTone, sonore own PS).  

Why the large difference in Amp rating with the SGC?

My rig

As long as power supply is capable of delivering enough amperage, there is no problem.  Amperage is drawn by the load (the oR in this case): The load will only draw the amperage (current) which it needs: so as long as a supply can deliver 2A (or more) it will be able to power the opticalRendu.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I received an OR on Friday and have a couple questions (see profile for gear):

Basic config:

- ROON server and HQP are on a wkst in utility room, ethernet to switch.  Using OR as HQP NAA.

- Network rack in util room with switch (has 2 SFP's), NAS, router etc...  I run optical cable from network rack to listening room rack

My mU has been flawless (couple hiccups here and there) and have been very happy with it.  I leave the mU and its LPS on 24/7 and turn off audio gear when not in use and rarely have to fiddle with the mU.

When I setup the OR on Friday I went through the similar setup steps as with the mU since I'm familiar with its OS.  I also assigned the OR a static IP in my router.  When I pressed play in ROON I would not get any sound although HQP recognized the OR and ROON would show the animated bar next to the song as "playing", but the progress bar at bottom was not moving.  A couple times out of the blue music would come on and stop.

I attached some DAC Diagnostics.  I eventually was able to get music going but not really sure how, but I think the last thing I did was hit the "Restart HQP".  After that it appeared to mostly work like the mU and I listened last eve for awhile without issue.

This morning I wanted to test a everything from scratch (everything powered off) and sort of had the same issues and I eventually got music, again not really sure how but used the "Restart HQP" and think that may have been the trick. 

Is there a specific start up process that MUST be followed:

1.  If everything is powered off, should the OR be the last thing powered on?

2.  When keeping OR powered on but audio components off what should the process be?

diag1.JPG

diag2 endpoint playing.JPG

diag2 NAA endpoint.JPG

My rig

foggy, try this in order:

1. Remove the power cable from the Rendu and the DAC.
2. Connect the power cable to the DAC and power it on.
3. Connect the power cable to the Rendu.
4. Go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and confirm the DAC is present.
5. Go to Settings / Roon Ready and press Save.
6. Go to Roon / Settings / Audio and enable the Rendu.

Test and see what happens. I think 2 will clear it.

On 12/8/2019 at 2:11 PM, vortecjr said:

foggy, try this in order:

1. Remove the power cable from the Rendu and the DAC.
2. Connect the power cable to the DAC and power it on.
3. Connect the power cable to the Rendu.
4. Go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and confirm the DAC is present.
5. Go to Settings / Roon Ready and press Save.
6. Go to Roon / Settings / Audio and enable the Rendu.

Test and see what happens. I think 2 will clear it.

Will do and not ignoring this, just busy this week.  

I did fire up rig tues (while OR was on) for a bit and everything worked fine.  I should be able to get a bunch of time this wknd.

My rig

Does anyone know if it is possible (and how) I can force the Squeezelite client on the opticalRendu to connect to a particular LMS in case I have running multiple LMS in my network?

No possibility as far as I could see in the Squeezelite settings to select a particular server.

Thanks in advance,

Jan