IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

6 hours ago, jma2 said:

Does anyone know if it is possible (and how) I can force the Squeezelite client on the opticalRendu to connect to a particular LMS in case I have running multiple LMS in my network?

No possibility as far as I could see in the Squeezelite settings to select a particular server.

Thanks in advance,

Jan

The selection has to be done at the server not the Rendu. 

• 1 month later...

@vortecjr I have lost connection to my opticalRendu.  Sonicorbiter.com report no Sonicorbiter OS based music player found. When I scan the IP addresses on my network my oR is not found.  I have tried 3 previously good microSD cards in my oR. I have bypassed my EtherRegen and connected directly to my ethernet switch using both the original PHYs and optical cable as well as different PHYs and optical cable.  The LED on my oR is slowly flashing red. What do I try next?

2 hours ago, JohnDonaldson said:

@vortecjr I have lost connection to my opticalRendu.  Sonicorbiter.com report no Sonicorbiter OS based music player found. When I scan the IP addresses on my network my oR is not found.  I have tried 3 previously good microSD cards in my oR. I have bypassed my EtherRegen and connected directly to my ethernet switch using both the original PHYs and optical cable as well as different PHYs and optical cable.  The LED on my oR is slowly flashing red. What do I try next?

What power supply are you using?

19 hours ago, vortecjr said:

What power supply are you using?

@vortecjr My problem started when using my Sonore power supply. During troubleshooting I switched to a power supply that I believed had sufficient current output to drive my oR.  Guess the flashing red LED was saying it did not.  After reading your question, I hooked up my Sonore ps again and all is working correctly now. I have no idea what changed. ☹

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Friday I replace my switch with a Trendnet switch with a SFP slot. I ran 30 ft. of fiber to a FMC. I wanted to try out fiber in my network. Worked with no issues. I do hear a difference in increased volume and some separation in instruments. So basically replaced ethernet with the fiber. Now time for next steps but I have questions and looking for the best solution at a reasonable price.

One do I just remove the FMC and connect directly to a Sonore Optic Rendu

Two, Replace the FMC with a Sonore Optic Module and then connect a Sonore Rendu to the Module.

Three, (seems like a step backwards) go back to ethernet and connect a Optic Module close to the DAC and use an Optic Rendu.

Appreciate the help

8 minutes ago, gocubs42 said:

Friday I replace my switch with a Trendnet switch with a SFP slot. I ran 30 ft. of fiber to a FMC. I wanted to try out fiber in my network. Worked with no issues. I do hear a difference in increased volume and some separation in instruments. So basically replaced ethernet with the fiber. Now time for next steps but I have questions and looking for the best solution at a reasonable price.

One do I just remove the FMC and connect directly to a Sonore Optic Rendu

Two, Replace the FMC with a Sonore Optic Module and then connect a Sonore Rendu to the Module.

Three, (seems like a step backwards) go back to ethernet and connect a Optic Module close to the DAC and use an Optic Rendu.

Appreciate the help

If you can swing it financially, go for the opticalRendu. It is basically a opticalModule and Rendu unit combined. You would remove the FMC and connect the opticalRendu directly to the optical port on your switch. You should be able to use the same SFP module for the opticalRendu that is in your FMC.

If you have limited funds, then go with just the opticalModule.

Another option is to get a switch with multiple optical ports (SFP) and go:

Computer > Ethernet > FMC > fiber > switch > fiber > opticalRendu

1 hour ago, ericuco said:

If you can swing it financially, go for the opticalRendu. It is basically a opticalModule and Rendu unit combined

Just for clarity I would like to point out that the opticalRendu is a completely new design by John S. and has a number of improvements over the ultraRendu in addition to the optical interface. 

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 minute ago, Superdad said:

No, that is impossible.  Leaving aside all specifics of the design changes, anytime a circuit board receives a series of parts and circuit changes a new set of board files (called Gerbers) are created. So an entirely new PCB (4~6 layers in the case of John's designs) is made. Rarely are any changes simply a matter of a parts change--with parts that fit with identical pin assignments--to the prior PCB layout. And it is all tiny surface-mount parts--not giant through-hole parts of yesteryear. So an update would be a swap to entirely new circuit board. (Not that one even exists or is planned for the ultraRendu).

Ok, thank you for the prompt answer. I had to ask!

Wasn't sure if some of the updates were component related, so a upgrade to an existing unit was possible. As with the microRendu 1.4 upgrade.

So no plans for an UltraRendu MKII?

• 1 month later...

Issues with updating oR to v2.8. I just received my order this week, so these are the latest chips. I originally updated successfully last night. I followed the directions but had to do some futzing around to get the oR to actually be seen by Roon, despite everything looking ok. I eventually got it working. This morning, the oR was completely shut down. I disconnected power and let it cool down while I successfully updated a micro- and ultraRendu. I powered the oR back up and checked and it wasn't seeing the DAC. I am using a Hydra-Z in front of a W4S DAC. It worked fine with v2.7. Despite repeated power cycles, couldn't get the oR to recognize the Hydra. I tried going direct into the W4S DAC and oR won't recognize the DAC either. PS is a Teddy Pardo 7v/2A dedicated supply.

Any suggestions? I have removed power from the oR again and will let it cool to room temp before trying again.

15 minutes ago, ksalno said:

Issues with updating oR to v2.8. I just received my order this week, so these are the latest chips. I originally updated successfully last night. I followed the directions but had to do some futzing around to get the oR to actually be seen by Roon, despite everything looking ok. I eventually got it working. This morning, the oR was completely shut down. I disconnected power and let it cool down while I successfully updated a micro- and ultraRendu. I powered the oR back up and checked and it wasn't seeing the DAC. I am using a Hydra-Z in front of a W4S DAC. It worked fine with v2.7. Despite repeated power cycles, couldn't get the oR to recognize the Hydra. I tried going direct into the W4S DAC and oR won't recognize the DAC either. PS is a Teddy Pardo 7v/2A dedicated supply.

Any suggestions? I have removed power from the oR again and will let it cool to room temp before trying again.

Did you power cycle the Hydra? FYI Roon will not see the unit until the unit sees your USB device. Look in Apps Diagnostics to know if the unit sees your USB device.

Teddy Pardo 7v/2a PS. Yes, I power cycled the Hydra and the oR. I did look in the DAC diagnostics and the oR is not seeing anything - not the Hydra or the W4S DAC when I connect directly to the DAC. I am letting the oR cool completely down and will retry from everything powered off once more.

• 3 weeks later...

I suspect I'm a little behind the curve on this one, but I just noticed that there is an "optical rendu for roon," which is distinct and different from the optical rendu "proper," and even priced differently.  I cannot help asking what the differences between the two versions might be, although I've only ever used my micro, and ultra- rendus for Roon, and I suspect it might be the same way if I were to purchase an optical rendu... 

Given that there are hardly ever any "free lunches" in this and most businesses, I would like to know exactly what I might be sacrificing if I were to purchase an "optical rendu for roon" instead of the optical rendu "proper" in order to save me a couple of hundred $$$.

I'm sorry for asking so late, especially, if this question has been addressed previously somewhere, as I am sure it already has.  I just became aware of the existence of the "Optical rendu for Roon."

Thanks

@sahmen I've asked on this. No difference in hardware other than the silver case. The software serves up Roon and ONLY Roon to RAAT ready devices. I need the Sonicorbiter Bridge app to serve Roon to a non Roon ready device so it was a no go for me. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

@sahmen If you don't need or plan to use any of the other software offered by the standard rendu, the Roon lite version will save you money and meet your needs. The only difference is the software pre-loaded on it.

@charlesphoto I don't understand what you mean by "RAAT Ready". A DAC either is Roon Ready, which means it implements RAAT and has been certified by Roon or it isn't. The specific purpose of the rendu is to act as the interface between Roon and any non-Roon Ready DAC. I have 4 different rendus all working with DACs that know nothing about Roon. 

My older Naim Unitiqute all-in-one streamer (amp, pre-amp, DAC and streamer) won't accept a Roon signal, so enabling squeezelite in Roon and then using the Bridge app in SonicOrbiter will stream Roon to it. Pretty great. The mR is plugged into the back of a Naim DAC upstairs. Think of it as casting. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

The Unitiqute doesn't have a USB in, only ethernet. 

5 hours ago, sahmen said:

I suspect I'm a little behind the curve on this one, but I just noticed that there is an "optical rendu for roon," which is distinct and different from the optical rendu "proper," and even priced differently.  I cannot help asking what the differences between the two versions might be, although I've only ever used my micro, and ultra- rendus for Roon, and I suspect it might be the same way if I were to purchase an optical rendu... 

Given that there are hardly ever any "free lunches" in this and most businesses, I would like to know exactly what I might be sacrificing if I were to purchase an "optical rendu for roon" instead of the optical rendu "proper" in order to save me a couple of hundred $$$.

I'm sorry for asking so late, especially, if this question has been addressed previously somewhere, as I am sure it already has.  I just became aware of the existence of the "Optical rendu for Roon."

Thanks

Thanks for asking. The main difference is the amount of support that goes into the product. Customer support and application support are less since there is only one output protocol. The hardware is slightly different so the operating system can tell them apart. It's a great product....purchase with confidence.  

5 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

@sahmen I've asked on this. No difference in hardware other than the silver case. The software serves up Roon and ONLY Roon to RAAT ready devices. I need the Sonicorbiter Bridge app to serve Roon to a non Roon ready device so it was a no go for me. 

Andrew at SGC sells a dedicated Sonore UPnP Bridge.

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/accessories/products/upnpbridge?variant=6964135395362 

I also have been having problems with my opticalRendu since The software update, it has stopped responding several times, I have been able to wake it up by unplugging and plugging it back in and rebooting, I’m having those issues again today but when I finally manage to wake it up hitting the play bottom doesn’t have any effect and when I try to reboot it, it just disappear from my network. I’m using your latest power supply

8 hours ago, iLguapo said:

I also have been having problems with my opticalRendu since The software update, it has stopped responding several times, I have been able to wake it up by unplugging and plugging it back in and rebooting, I’m having those issues again today but when I finally manage to wake it up hitting the play bottom doesn’t have any effect and when I try to reboot it, it just disappear from my network. I’m using your latest power supply

Do you mean your DAC is freezing up and won't play or the Rendu is not seen in sonicorbiter.com? Does sonicorbiter.com show you have Version: 2.8.

451855087_ScreenShot2020-04-03at8_22_28AM.png.420ac26f503389ba4ae4c67835e3aaeb.png