IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

On 7/7/2019 at 4:05 AM, R1200CL said:

Probably because no Vbus power is needed on that DAC. 😀

Are you using 9 or 7V on the oR ?

My system has now been stable for a long time. 
I find 9v sound better. (And more stable as I use 100 mA Vbus power). 

@R1200CL

sorry for delayed reply.

according to totaldac, their reclocker pulls 300ma continuous

i'm using 7V........have not tired 9v yet

46 minutes ago, cat6man said:

@metnoc

can you describe the ethernet networking you have upstream from the ethernet oR?

also, which SFP specifically are you using with the oR?

finally, how were/are you powering the oM and oR?

thanks

Router with standard PSU -> qed ethernet cable -> standard switch with ifi ipower -> supra cat 8 -> roon core on a Zotac 620 computer with standard PSU - > supra cat 8 -> OM with mostly ifi Ipower but I tried with a uptone lps 1.2 aswell -> optical cable that came with OM -> OR with Ci PSU -> Supra usb -> Aqua la scala mk2 dac.

image.png.4bf173575a0592844d24036af1de713c.png

Weeks in:

opticalRendu using ethernet SFP - definite upgrade from ultraRendu

opticalRendu using optical SFP < using 10GTEK Gigabit Ethernet Multi-Mode LC Fiber Media Converter - no real diff noted

opticalRendu using optical SFP < using Sonore's opticalModule - definite improvement in low/mid range response.

Note: was so impressed w/ the addition of the opticalModule in the chain that I added another opticalModule from my st7 to the network. much better mids and lows. YMMV.

Still seeing weird stuff upon reboot, sometimes it hangs. The NAA update didn't really change anything here.

Quote of the day from a customer of our UK dealer

A Surprisingly large improvement over ultraRendu-Ian - 10/07/2019
I needed a new music renderer (I already have two Sonic Orbiters, two microRendus and three ultraRendus) so it made sense to buy an opticalRendu and an opticalModule. I feed it into Chord's M Scaler and then Hugo TT2 into Stax 007mk2 headphones energised by a Mjölnir Audio KGSSHV Carbon. As Chord try and make their output insensitive to the input data stream I was not actually expecting a huge improvement in the sound. There is a clear improvement in all aspects of the sound reproduction. The bass is hitting harder, actually better extension in the top end but more of that x factor that has me bargaining with myself at midnight"just one more track". I listened to Roon Radio all day yesterday and favourited three times as many tracks as normal. It feels like the first time I heard the Linn LP12, musical and viceless. This is a stunning upgrade and looking at the price difference over the ultraRendu I actually feel guilty paying such a small premium for such a big leap forwards.

Quote of the day. I love the irony in this one especially if you have been following the comments of one vocal member:) 

“Just got the Signature Rendu optical today.  Initial impression is good with the bass the first thing to standout, need to give it a few more days to settle in - both the device and my ears.  Replaced the power cord right away and that helped. I tried the the SFP with RJ-45 you mentioned above on both the oR and Signature.  It works but the sound is thin and two dimensional on the oR and on the Signature it makes piano notes ring and bass is not as defined.  So Amazon return.”

On 6/27/2019 at 8:08 PM, skatbelt said:

My guess is that, technically, the setup with the OM is the optimal one but for you - coming from a vinyl rig - this sounds to clinical/analytical. Your ears and brain are used to distortion and you perceive this as lifelike, live, warm... 

The experience has been just the opposite.  The OM sounds much more analogue in my system, but the direct to router improves the dynamics. 

This past week I went back to the OM just to make sure I give each setup a chance.  The OM to OR is mellower, but I am aware of more detail like vinyl.  The detail comes across in a very organic way.  The Ubiquiti Edgerouter X with SFP to OR has a more jump factor and feels perhaps more ethereal.  When a sting is plucked I feel it out in space and it seems like the note has body.  With the OM I hear it in more detail, but the note lacks the visceral impact in my system.  Keep in mind I am going right from Modem to Router (with 5 port switch and SFP port) to OR, so there isn't much in between.  

The OR is a really fantastic product.  So is the OM...I would recommend it to anyone.  It could be the exact right thing for your system.  If I didn't have the router I would be none the wiser and happy.  

4 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Quote of the day. I love the irony in this one especially if you have been following the comments of one vocal member:) 

“Just got the Signature Rendu optical today.  Initial impression is good with the bass the first thing to standout, need to give it a few more days to settle in - both the device and my ears.  Replaced the power cord right away and that helped. I tried the the SFP with RJ-45 you mentioned above on both the oR and Signature.  It works but the sound is thin and two dimensional on the oR and on the Signature it makes piano notes ring and bass is not as defined.  So Amazon return.”

Thanks for the quote. It is quite the contrary what @Metnoc found. We have to take into account that SFPs from different manufacturers sound differently.

@Metnoc used one from Ubiquiti.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

58 minutes ago, lestes said:

When a sting is plucked I feel it out in space and it seems like the note has body.  With the OM I hear it in more detail, but the note lacks the visceral impact in my system.  

Comparing both impressions I would go for the former.

Matt

9 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Please keep the discussion on topic. This is a post about an unrelated test with unrelated gear performed by a manufacturer or dealer. 

Sorry, I did not think that SFPs are unrelated gear to Sonore.

Matt

4 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

SFPs with unrelated gear is off topic here. Just like finding with our gear on his thread would also be unrelated to his findings. 

I respect your POV but just for my understanding:

Do you not think that a superior SFP will give better SQ in devices of different manufacturers?

Matt

36 minutes ago, matthias said:

I respect your POV but just for my understanding:

Do you not think that a superior SFP will give better SQ in devices of different manufacturers?

Matt

What other manufacturers are we talking about:) I mean that sarcastically because right now the number of audio companies using SFPs is limited. I cant speak for other companies because I have no clue about there designs. I don’t know how to spot a superior SFP. What I can say is that optical SFPs are generally very low noise ways of transmitting data and we feed our SFP input with its own dedicated high quality low noise regulator. I expect the RJ-45 SFP input to not be as good as the optical input and this is because of the complex nature of the RJ-45 SFP itself. John explained this in an earlier post. I expect people to have different experiences with all this technology, but when we have outliers that go totally against what we understand to be true it’s best to ignore that data. 

What other manufacturers are we talking about:) I mean that sarcastically because right now the number of audio companies using SFPs is limited. I cant speak for other companies because I have no clue about there designs. I don’t know how to spot a superior SFP. What I can say is that optical SFPs are generally very low noise ways of transmitting data and we feed our SFP input with its own dedicated high quality low noise regulator. I expect the RJ-45 SFP input to not be as good as the optical input and this is because of the complex nature of the RJ-45 SFP itself. John explained this in an earlier post. I expect people to have different experiences with all this technology, but when we have outliers that go totally against what we understand to be true it’s best to discount it. 

4 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I don’t know how to spot a superior SFP.

Just try SFPs from different manufacturers with your devices and select the best sounding ones.

Matt

10 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I expect the RJ-45 SFP input to not be as good as the optical input and this is because of the complex nature of the RJ-45 SFP itself.

Maybe,

so I expect that differences between RJ-45 SFPs of different manufacturers are much greater than these between optical SFPs.

It is like some sort of tube rolling:-)

Matt

13 minutes ago, matthias said:

Maybe,

so I expect that differences between RJ-45 SFPs of different manufacturers are much greater than these between optical SFPs.

It is like some sort of tube rolling:-)

Matt

The game plan is first to get people up and running and then let them experiment as they please. 

20 minutes ago, barrows said:

This does not mean people might not find differences, it just means that the SFPs would need to be tested in the Sonore product to know. 

Agree,

the link was nothing more than a suggestion to test the Startech SFPs with Sonore devices as well.

Matt

6 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I don’t know how to spot a superior SFP. What I can say is that optical SFPs are generally very low noise ways of transmitting data and we feed our SFP input with its own dedicated high quality low noise regulator.

Finisar and Avago are considered to be the two top OEMs of SFP modules. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

On 6/8/2019 at 11:11 AM, sgr said:

Reposted as I wanted to add more info and was not allowed. 

Hi,
Have ORendu installed with the Sonore kit of optical cable, power supply for ORendu and an LPS1.2 powering the optical module. All components have powered up correctly and are stable.  First observations the ORendu has a clarity that I’d not experienced with the URendu. I believe it does sound better and has sure improved the longer its been electrified. But......
I can only get it to work with ROON. Not as HqPlayer NAA. I’ve tried many different filters (probably not every possible combination as that would be impossible I think) and am using Legacy Audio Wavelet DAC for PCM only  and can’t get it to play without stuttering or playing at all. Music will play a second or two then stop start again. 

I’ve rebooted the pc many times, used the sonic orbiter app to select HQPlayer Naa, done the same with ROON. Hqplayer is connected to the ORendu and sees it as a device as it did see URendu.  Nothing seems to work. The URendu is unplugged and not in the system at all so I know it’s not interfering. I also did ipconfig and reconfigured the ORendu in ROON just in case and it used the same address as the URendu did so that didn’t matter. 
My Ultra Rendu worked fine with exact same equipment and the same settings in HQPlayer 4.4 but they won’t work on ORendu.

I’d be glad for some help or ideas. 

For me the fix for my HQPlayer NAA dropouts was replacing my current design opticalRendu with the original design before a redesign to reduce current consumption.  Much thanks to  @vortecjr, @Miska, @JohnSwenson, and Andrew at Small Green Computers for all their efforts to resolve my problem.  This is first rate customer support, this team is most highly recommended!

On 7/17/2019 at 10:28 AM, JohnDonaldson said:

For me the fix for my HQPlayer NAA dropouts was replacing my current design opticalRendu with the original design before a redesign to reduce current consumption.  Much thanks to  @vortecjr, @Miska, @JohnSwenson, and Andrew at Small Green Computers for all their efforts to resolve my problem.  This is first rate customer support, this team is most highly recommended!

The biggest support issue with NAA on the entire rendu series has been guaranteeing that the various network devices between the server and the Rendu support “flow control” and have “flow control” enabled. The original design of the opticalRendu, utilized in our Signature Rendu SE, guarantees “flow control” at the unit with a proprietary hardware and software feature. Si nce we were unable to resolve “flow control” on John’s network we swapped out his board and no more “flow control” blues.