IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

Nice. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Okay, so then just use and enjoy your opticalRendu with the copper SFP module as you have.  There are a number of elements of the opticalRendu which are advancements over the ultraRendu, so there really is nothing to complain about there. Right? :D

Agreed, the OR with copper ethernet sounds quite good.

On 7/10/2019 at 12:19 PM, Tihon said:

Hello!

I would like to know more about opticalRendu and 9V PSU. The unit itself is marked as 6-9 VDC, but I`ve read here that 9V is "not recommended" or "not recommended in hot environments". I have Keces P8 PSU. It`s lowest output is 9V (actually display shows 9,1V).

What exactly that "not recommended" 9V will do? I understand how regulators work and opticalRendu will be warmer with 9V than with 7V. And that leads to what? SQ downgrade, shorter unit lifespan, dangerously hot case? Or it is just few degrees warmer and that`s all?

Can I safely use opticalRendu with my 9V PSU, assuming it would be plugged in 24/7?

Thank you.

Sorry...this one slipped by on me. I would just try it at 9VDC. It could run okay or run warm depending on your AC voltage and the DAC bus power usage.  

13 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Sorry...this one slipped by on me. I would just try it at 9VDC. It could run okay or run warm depending on your AC voltage and the DAC bus power usage.  

Thank you for your answer. I understand that everything should be ok at 9V and opticalRendu might get warm, but would not be damaged by overheating or anything like that?

11 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Across the entire line of Rendu in the wild I can't think of a single unit damaged from running hot. Purchase with confidence knowing that we will take care of you. 

That’s great to hear! Thank you! 

27 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Personally, I’m good with orange:)

Yes, or we go with the approach that the lights color temperature actually changes the "color" or tonality of the sound produced...

And what about single mode fiber, a whole 'other thing to test with its specific SFPs...

I am liking Aqua these days myself...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 7/5/2019 at 11:48 AM, BCRich said:

OK, just went all in on the Optical Rendu, Optical Module, Sonore ultraSupply and Optical Cable!

Now to put my ultraRendu up for sale.

Can’t wait.....

Mike

So we are off to a very bumpy start. Got all connected, unable to get audio via HQ Player. Decided to try Roon Ready, had audio for a bit, paused it to answer the phone, came back no audio, Roon just scrolled through the tracks. Tried HQ Player direct over NAA, no go either. All of this I think is because the oRendu is not seeing my DAC which it did initially.  Is there a set reboot pattern? I’ve tried a few times without any luck.

I also tried reseating the SD Card as well. Tried updating....nothing seems to work.

Help!!!!!!

PS...If I engage Roon Ready in the web gui, Roon does not show the oR as an audio device.

@BCRich, When considering ROON, note that ROON will not show the opticalRendu as a playback zone unless the DAC is active and recognized by the oR.  Different DACs appear to have different "handshake" rituals, and sometimes need specific power-up routines for everything to communicate properly.  I usually have best results when following this sequence:

First make sure all the Network devices are up and running (Server, router, hard drive(s), opticalModule, any switches) and make sure the opticalModule has a green light.  Then power up the opticalRendu by plugging in the cable (hot) from the ultra Supply.  Wait for the opticalRendu to boot and the LED to go from red, to amber, to green.  With a green light on the opticalRendu, power up the DAC.  Then check, ROON-Preferences-Audio for the opticalRendu as an available audio device.  If it is not listed, try this: power down the DAC, and then unplug the USB cable at the DAC end.  Power up the DAC, give it a minute, and then hot plug the USB into the DAC (mute the system when doing this).  Then check ROON again.  Some set ups require the DAC to be powered up first, other set ups require that the opticalRendu be powered up first, and some set ups appear to not be sensitive to boot order.

Also, the LUSH USB cable is a bit unusual (although I did not experience any problems when I had one here...), just in case, try testing with an ordinary, certified, decent quality USB cable just to be sure.

I am a bit confused that you had ROON working, and then it "stopped" though?  That is curious indeed to me?

I am not experienced with HQPlayer, perhaps @vortecjr, can help with that...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Sure, glad it is working now.

SONORE computer audio

4 hours ago, BCRich said:

So we are off to a very bumpy start. Got all connected, unable to get audio via HQ Player. Decided to try Roon Ready, had audio for a bit, paused it to answer the phone, came back no audio, Roon just scrolled through the tracks. Tried HQ Player direct over NAA, no go either. All of this I think is because the oRendu is not seeing my DAC which it did initially.  Is there a set reboot pattern? I’ve tried a few times without any luck.

I also tried reseating the SD Card as well. Tried updating....nothing seems to work.

Help!!!!!!

PS...If I engage Roon Ready in the web gui, Roon does not show the oR as an audio device.

I have, too, so, but I have o-mode SE. During downtime, the connection speed automatically drops. Helps restart SE (5min).

On 7/10/2019 at 6:19 PM, Tihon said:

Hello!

I would like to know more about opticalRendu and 9V PSU. The unit itself is marked as 6-9 VDC, but I`ve read here that 9V is "not recommended" or "not recommended in hot environments". I have Keces P8 PSU. It`s lowest output is 9V (actually display shows 9,1V).

What exactly that "not recommended" 9V will do? I understand how regulators work and opticalRendu will be warmer with 9V than with 7V. And that leads to what? SQ downgrade, shorter unit lifespan, dangerously hot case? Or it is just few degrees warmer and that`s all?

Can I safely use opticalRendu with my 9V PSU, assuming it would be plugged in 24/7?

Thank you.

My opticalRendu sounds better with 9 V 😀

(And i think i know why, but I’m not allowed to post that). 

15 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Okay I’m curious...what is your hypothesis?

@JohnSwenson can explain this better than me, as he has run tests that showed  that most digital components have lower noise or jitter when hotter. And 9V turns some parts of your Rendu hotter. 
I suppose it’s also possible to read something from the manufacturer data sheets.

Of cause, too hot will reduce the life span. But then I think we’re far beyond 60 degrees. 

And none of Johns design is close to that. When people says the LPS-1.2 gets hot as an example, it’s probably not even above 50 degrees. 

image.thumb.gif.d7c70a8b1b1d3427061fb46a87636792.gif

3D1FBF8E-6AB3-404A-ABDD-E8DE9A964803.jpeg

So I have been listening to my oRendu/oModule since Thursday evening. It has clearly improved since then and I’m sure it will continue to improve as things settle in. Right off the bat it is Hyper Detailed with instrument staging very precise, sound stage is very wide and the sense of depth is quite prevalent as well. Quite punchy as far as Bass presence is concerned. Initially I found the highs to be a bit over the top, very sharp or shrill sounding. Much smoother now. Vocal presentation is also quite real in my opinion. These are very revealing components and it shows. Very happy with the sound, foot tapping continuously........😃!

Soooooo anyone using their ISO Regen between the oR and their DAC? I know there was one comment somewhere along the way, just can’t remember where.

On 7/11/2019 at 12:38 PM, Metnoc said:

I used optical ethernet for a couple of weeks, sounded tonally thin no matter burn in time.
Copper ethernet input on OR sounded right after 2 seconds.
Today it sounds even better.
Tonally rich in a natural and believable sense, perhaps not as low noise floor as with optical.
But as a whole I emphatically prefer copper over optical ethernet.
Furthermore I resent the idea that optical ethernet is universally the best solution and everyone who doesn't agree just likes to listen to a more noise. I'm not an engineer so I can't debate the technical aspects in great depth, but in my ears optical lowers the noise floor but something else that should be there also disappears in terms of timbre.
The sound of copper ethernet reminds me of why I almost always prefers copper cables over all other types, there is a certain warmth to it that silver plated copper cables often times lacks. I'm not saying copper ethernet sounds right and optical ethernet wrong, both are off in different ways.
But as I won't trade timbre for lower noise floor, copper ethernet is the way for me until there is something that actually sounds better.

Please don't try to convince me that optical ethernet makes my stereo sound as it should, in no way shape or for is that true. It just has some advantages over copper ethernet, but the reverse is true as well.

I trust my own ears, not some guy trying to explain that he has solved this or that issue.

@metnoc

can you describe the ethernet networking you have upstream from the ethernet oR?

also, which SFP specifically are you using with the oR?

finally, how were/are you powering the oM and oR?

thanks